lostmans1

fishy restaraunts

I went to a semi-new restaurant last week and I was extremely happy with the atmosphere, the menu, and the food. That got me thinking.....what are your favorite joints? I know we had a similar discussion a long time ago about this but to be honest, some places I go the seafood just isn't as fresh or labeled correctly. A lot of places offer a "grouper" sandwich but only few actually serve real grouper.List your favorite fish related dinner joints and if there's a place you feel like you should warn the rest of us about, put it here! I despise a restaurant that tries to pass catfish as grouper. Although one of my favorite fish sandwiches is made by a deli here in south Tampa, the old sign on the wall still says "Grouper Po Boy" but its not, the owner of this place told me they started using Basa and let me tell you what- this is the greatest basa po boy you will ever find!!!!Mott and Hester Deli is the name of the joint and on Fridays I think its about bucks with chips and a drink. its a big sandwich!California Tacos on Bearss is another Joint that's incredible and they do have grouper there.The restaurant I went to last weak is called "Copperfish". Its awesome. the calamari app is good and the lobster roll was pretty damn good too for you northern guys!

Clw beach - Frenchy's The original small one for Grouper sammich - Fried of Course - Frenchy's Saltwater Cafe down the street is pretty good tooDunedin - Jolimon's has good food and fresh seafoodDunedin - Cafe Alfresco - best crab cakes anywhere (including MD) - all their food is greatPalm Harbor - Thirsty Marlin - fresh seafood and also very good food across the board. Their Prime Rib Quesadillas are really good.

I am so far south of all of you,but if you ever come down this way. We like Ceder Reef Fish Camp in Venice. They have this blacken redfish with black beans and rice for $10.00 on Sat. only. More on other days. If you like steamed crabs, Peace River resturant in Punta Gorda has the best. Also a lot of other really good seafood. Seafood is all they serve. It is were the waterman bring their catch in every day. They ship most seafood out. Here is my blacken redfish.post-126-14121218882065_thumb.jpg pickgrin, if they look and taste like ours I need to know how to get there.post-126-14121218882289_thumb.jpg PS. Notice all the lumps of crab meat in them. That's what is missing in in most resturants. If you know what I mean.

Dock Side Dave's has a killer fresh and very real grouper sandwich - 2 locations, St. Pete Beach & Madeira Beach.Grouper sandwichsize=400http://docksidedavesgrill.com/images/FriedDlx.jpg[/img]Grouper tacossize=400http://docksidedavesgrill.com/images/GrpTacos.jpg[/img]Captain Glen Talyor's Boardwalk Grill @ Johns Pass - Famous cold 8oz lobster roll & fresh grouper. He is a wealth of knowledge if you can catch the Capt. when he is at his restaurant.Lobsta rollsize=400http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/rjyyzPpg9cCnPmkJHLANCA/l.jpg[/img]Grouper sandwichsize=400http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/kon2yFP3W2-e9hIYch01nQ/l.jpg[/img]

Kinda OT, and I haven't actually been there, so the food may be great, but has anyone passed by the Kingfish Grill and Tap House on Ulmerton just east of Carrillon and thought "I'm not going there, the fish that they use as a logo is not a Kingfish?" Don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does.

I live in Palm Harbor. I really like the thirsty marlin and Molly Goodheads. One of my favorite places to go though is Rusty Bellies at the end of the sponge docks. They bring out free hush puppies I instead of rolls and their shrimp po boy and cheese grits are amazing.

Kinda OT' date=' and I haven't actually been there, so the food may be great, but has anyone passed by the Kingfish Grill and Tap House on Ulmerton just east of Carrillon and thought "I'm not going there, the fish that they use as a logo is not a Kingfish?" Don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does.[/quote']Haha. That's exactly what went through my mind too.

Keegans Seafood grill - Indian rocks beach. They always have different fish on the menu depending on what they can get and they have a great grouper sandwich although it is a little different than most people are used to.Fish House in Ruskin- They are only open Thursday , Friday, and Saturday. It's first come first serve with the smoked mullet and it usually runs out pretty quick. 90% of the time a local crabber brings them soft shell crabs and they are the best in the bay. The rest of the time they get them from a vending company. Madfish St. Pete Beach- Doug gets all his fish fresh and the menu is always changing with specials depending on what they can get. Don't let the old Airstream looking trailer fool you the food is top notch.

Waltz at johns pass, hidden away in a little house looking building across the street from the boardwalk. By far the best seafood around imho. Small place, don't bring kids, and don't bring people that don't like seafood. Because it is all they haveWahoos on redington is great too. Much diff atmosphere...more of a beach bar feel. Both places have grouper straight from the docks.

If your ever in Venice, check the Ceder Reef Fish Camp. It is our family's favorite seafood restaurant. I order this a lot. it's only $10.00 on Sat. special.]Blackenredfishwithblackbeansandrice004.jpg[/attachment] Open Thanksgiving 12-8pmHello Friends,Welcome to Cedar Reef Fish Camp! It is my pleasure to create fresh, filling and fun food all at a fair price. Whether you�re having lunch with friends, or dinner with family, you can relax at Cedar Reef! I�ve got seafood lovers covered with specialties like Raw Oysters, Fancy Schmancy Oysters, Oyster Baskets, Snow and Dungeness Crab Buckets, Pina Colada Tilapia, Garlic Lover's Scampi, Green Lagoon Pasta, Shrimp & Grits, Fresh Catch Fish, Blackened Red Fish, Cedar Plank Salmon, Calamari, Scallops Florentine, Fish & Chips, Shrimp (all sorts of ways), Homemade Lobster Lasagna and so much more! It�s hard to believe that not everyone loves seafood (I know it�s mind-boggling). Just in case, I�ve got great eats for land-lovers, such as: Florida Alligator, Baby Back Ribs, Chicken Florentine, Burgers (like my Gouda Burger), Frog Legs, Fried Chicken, and Blackened Steaks. Also, if I have the ingredients in the building, I'll be happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions you or someone in your party might have.I'm a big fan of craft beer. In Venice I have 7 drafts, Bradenton 11. Each restaurant has over 30 beers and I always run some special selections so there is always something new to try. I'm a wine connoisseur and I hope you will enjoy my extensive wine list. It was a difficult and grueling job having to taste wine after delicious wine, but I struggled through it and managed to come up with a list that has something for everybody.So why would you settle for an impersonal chain restaurant or a tourist trap? I look forward to providing friendly service and great food to my neighbors and visitors.Sincerely,Dean Donnelly, Chef/Ownerpost-126-14121219937519_thumb.jpg 4167 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice, FL 34293 (941) 451-8564

Top places for me would be1)Rusty bellies in tarpon! Fresh fish !!! they also own the fish market next door ....they catch most of their own fish on their fishing boats ... I eat here as much as possible haha..http://www.rustybellies.com/2)Star fish company in Cortez is not only a super cool place but has great food also! The Pompano with cheese grits is amazing! It's a drive but well worth it.http://www.starfishcompany.com/starfishcompany/rest.html3) A super cool fishing bar/place to eat is.... Bar fly in safety harbor... They actually sell Flys for fishing at the bar. This place is all about fishing from head to toe.post-88350-14121219955805_thumb.jpg4)Two classic places for me are.... Crab shack right over the gandy bridge and Ted peters!!! Can't go wrong with them...