Sign in to follow this  
piscator

zman baits

Great bait but having trouble using them weedless.There are times when the bait is pulled back off the hook eye. How do you guys re rig this. The elaztech make it imossible(for me anyway) to glide the the bait back threw from which it came. I'h using a Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG.I just bought a pack of Zman triggerhook but the hooks are not very sharp. I also think there is to much bait for the hook in both the 3/0 4/0. Thier new jig heads are great. Thanks

Try just one drop of the original super glue. I use this with gulp and a jig head and it tends to keep the bait on the hook even after a decent fight. I just purchased some Z-man shrimp last week and had the same problem. Great action but hard to work with!Richie

I like the PaddlerZ, but I agree, they're a pain to work with. And...those zman trigger hooks...tried them one time and that was it! I didn't care for them. I'll have to try the superglue and see if that helps.

I like the PaddlerZ' date=' but I agree, they're a pain to work with. And...those zman trigger hooks...tried them one time and that was it! I didn't care for them. I'll have to try the superglue and see if that helps.[/quote']The crazy glue does work but it wont hold for very long. If I remember right, the crazy glue only held for like 5-10 casts and then started to slip down the hook again. These flutter hooks will work for weedless presentations and you won't need superglue. Just make sure to wet the weight before sliding it through the bait.I've caught some big flounder by bouncing or slow rolling the zman paddlerz through potholes. Swim them by ambush points for snook. Go as light as you can with weight. Zman baits are very buoyant which allows them to stay in the strike zone longer and have some great action. I still use them some but I'm more partial to DOA CALs.size=400http://www.thecharlestonangler.com/images/store/products/prodc3859.jpg[/img]

I like the PaddlerZ' date=' but I agree' date=' they're a pain to work with. And...those zman trigger hooks...tried them one time and that was it! I didn't care for them. I'll have to try the superglue and see if that helps.[/quote'']The crazy glue does work but it wont hold for very long. If I remember right, the crazy glue only held for like 5-10 casts and then started to slip down the hook again. These flutter hooks will work for weedless presentations and you won't need superglue. Just make sure to wet the weight before sliding it through the bait.I've caught some big flounder by bouncing or slow rolling the zman paddlerz through potholes. Swim them by ambush points for snook. Go as light as you can with weight. Zman baits are very buoyant which allows them to stay in the strike zone longer and have some great action. I still use them some but I'm more partial to DOA CALs.size=400http://www.thecharlestonangler.com/images/store/products/prodc3859.jpg[/img]
When I go weedless, I use those hooks. I also use mission fission weedless jigheads.

If you don't mind the extra effort you can bring the plastic up over the eye and slip a toothpick thru the bait and hook eye and break off the excess on both sides so the toothpick is even on both sides. You can even put a dab of Super glue on both sides but typically it's not needed. The other way is to use 12" of any light weight line or thread that you can thread on a needle and double on itself; tie the two ends together using a good surgeons knot. Run the needle and thread through the plastic and hook eye up to the knot, around the plastic a few times then carefully tie it off on itself without much pressure, you don't want to damage the soft plastic. Both methods can last quite a while.Best of luck!Tim

just like was said, superglue.. its the fastest way to secure the bait to the hook.. the neutral buoyancy of these baits are very unique.. I like to throw them on an unweighted trokar 2/0 worm hook.. they become a topwater and walk the dog just like a hard plug.. but they are much more quiet and subtle than your traditional walk the dog.. perfect for slick calm mornings when a finesse presentation is called for..

just like was said' date=' superglue.. its the fastest way to secure the bait to the hook.. the neutral buoyancy of these baits are very unique.. I like to throw them on an unweighted trokar 2/0 worm hook.. they become a topwater and walk the dog just like a hard plug.. but they are much more quiet and subtle than your traditional walk the dog.. perfect for slick calm mornings when a finesse presentation is called for..[/quote'] :thumbsup: well said Marc! They have a great presentation worked this way.

Is there a reason they make the plastic so soft that it slips down on the jig head? IMHO, to many other good plastic baits out there to mess with this one. I tried them one time.

Using well-barbed jig heads helps a lot with these. Forget using the non-barbed ones. They are more finicky to rig when you just get introduced to them because they've so much rebound, but they last about ...4x longer than the traditional material (DOA, etc) when annoying pinfish and 5" mangrove snappers are attacking the tail.

Using well-barbed jig heads helps a lot with these. Forget using the non-barbed ones. They are more finicky to rig when you just get introduced to them because they've so much rebound' date=' but they last about ...4x longer than the traditional material (DOA, etc) when annoying pinfish and 5" mangrove snappers are attacking the tail.[/quote']^this^the mirrolure jigheads with the corkscrew work awesome for the zmans too...

I never had issues with Zman+mission fishin jig heads. Hook the lure and pull the lure all the way up until you hear a pop. That's when it's secure. Most time the lure will overlap the jig head, just fix it back in place soft and slowly. Practice and don't be afraid to waste them. Don't give up on this lure. It's my go to snook bait.

I like using the Rockport Rattler jig heads, but their nearly impossible to get into those Zmans. I found that if you melt about an 1/8" hole in the front of the bait, it makes a pocket for the rattle portion of the jig head. The single needle like barb on the rockport jig head keeps the bait on there great.

I never had issues with Zman+mission fishin jig heads. Hook the lure and pull the lure all the way up until you hear a pop. That's when it's secure. Most time the lure will overlap the jig head' date=' just fix it back in place soft and slowly. Practice and don't be afraid to waste them. Don't give up on this lure. It's my go to snook bait.[/quote']Yep!

I think these baits are known not to hold the hooks very well. Tough against the fish but weak holding a hook.

Yes, zman has known about the problem and that's why they had to make a special jighead just for their soft plastic baits. I'm not sure how well these jigheads work though.

The zman jigheads are disapointing. The barb above the hook bends. After a few times straightening the barb out they break off. The mission fishin jigheads do work better. I was drinking the zman kool aid but Ithink I'll go back to the D.O.A cal shad.

Never had a problem with the jig heads or swimbait hooks, my beef with Z-man was the fuckupedness with the deformation issues of the baits themselves. Zman accepted (to their credit!) a RMA of 65 packs of various baits that had twisted tails. They have great action and catch fish but must be babied to keep them from deforming. Dont mix with other soft plastics(duh!), keep out of the sun, dont store in plano type boxes, keep in shaded/cool place( yea, all my tackle boxes are chilled). If I lived in Seattle I might buy more- sorry ranting

Neat thing this past weekend, I went out with my stepdad to 27 miles offshore Hernando Beach which was about 45 feet of water and then we went back to 20 feet. On the last stop I saw a kingfish come up after a bait or so. I brought my one rod (H bass GLoomis with CI4) and a jig head. I put on a zman white paddler because the jig was already attached I figured it was faster than rigging up something new. While trying to get the king fish on this little jig I ended up catching 4 fish in a row. I got a keeper seabass, small red grouper, grunt and another grunt. I'll definitely use this technique more next time I'm out. The body did come off a bit after a few fish.

I love the Z man Paddler Z. Put it on the captain Joe Heberts Edje hook. It has a cork screw coil up front. Hint make sure the "tail" is cool. It will make it easier to twist onto the coil.Use the 2/0. Hook and 3/16 weight.Now I am THE number one fan of top water...but what do you do when the surface looks like a lettus bowl?Use this set up. Put the lure on upside down. Weed less and skims just under the surface with a lighter weight Edje hook. Just a thought.

I love the Z man Paddler Z. Put it on the captain Joe Heberts Edje hook. It has a cork screw coil up front. Hint make sure the "tail" is cool. It will make it easier to twist onto the coil.Use the 2/0. Hook and 3/16 weight.Now I am THE number one fan of top water...but what do you do when the surface looks like a lettus bowl?Use this set up. Put the lure on upside down. Weed less and skims just under the surface with a lighter weight Edje hook. Just a thought.

Pam you rock! That's a great presentation!

Yes a little help on these baits but they work,: I'll wrap some thread around the shank of the hook which will hold the bait better & a drop of Zap a Gap glue :thumbsup: