Sign in to follow this  
at last

Bubba Blade...amazing fillet knife

Recently purchased a Bubba Blade fillet 9" Tapered Flex knife. Today was the first time I've had the opportunity to use it. I can not believe the difference in this knife compared to other knives I have. It just slides right through and seems to grip where you're cutting. Guess you'd have to try it to believe the difference it makes. Was out with Phil030 today and used it to clean an 18.5" Pompano caught in SJS. :thumbsup:

Nice to know about the BB! When you showed it to me this morning it was the first time I had held one... It's super ergonomic handle is awesome and the blade is razor sharp. Real nice pomp today, congrats! Always a good time fishing with you Lloyd. Thanks

I purchased it directly from bubbablade.com and it was and still is on sale. I paid $54.95 for the Bubba Blade 9 Inch Tapered Blade Flex Fillet Knife. It's worth every penny. Now I'm even more excited to catch fish and clean'em. I had a half dozen Trout fillets frozen and my wife had defrosted this morning so we could serve it to relatives that are staying over for the holiday's. So when I brought the nice, very white meat fillets from the Pompano home everyone was excited to do a taste test. The trout won, the the Pomp was good :-)

Lloyd,Easiest way I've found to keep my knives sharp....http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_299790_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=299790&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJiioLPo2rsCFUsV7Aod7h8APg#showReviews

I have three of them, 7 and 9 inch flex and the 9 inch Stiffie. Best knives I have ever owned. They hold an edge very well but I keep two grades of stones handy when doing a large batch of fish to keep them prime. Two-three strokes on the medium stone, and same on the finish stone and they are good to go. The Stiffie is really just a bone/ steaking knife, unless you are filleting a very large fish, it is too stiff for most fillet jobs and WAAY too stiff for proper skinning. It does however make short work of steaking out a big wahoo or king. Best thing about them are the grips and the anodized finish that makes them impervious to any kind of corrosion.

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I've been looking for a new fillet knife and continue to hear mixed reviews on the bubba blade. Some people love them and say they stay sharp and hold an edge others say they are a pos. I guess I'm wondering how they have held up so far and what other knifes guys are using?

I picked up a set of Dexter Russels a couple of months ago and have been very impressed.

You know I'm leaning towards Dexter based off everything I've read online but when I go to their site they have so many lines of knives and so many different fillet knives within those lines of knives. I have no idea which is best. I want the knife to be on the nicer side and not your standard Walmart fillet knife, reason being the cheaper ones don't hold their edge very well for me.....maybe it's operator error, lol.

Another Dexter V-Lo fan here.I have the 8' filet for detail work and the 8' scalloped slicer for bigger cuts on grouper and etc.Also have the Cutco knife and like it as well.The best thing I've done is put away the gimicky sharpeners and electric gadgets...I picked up a nice ceramic sharpening stick and used an old leather belt to make a strop. Then I rubbed some jewelers polish into the strop. The stick will clean up your edge and the strop will smooth it out. Done...sharp as shite.

Fishbone knives carries the full line of Dexter Russell knives. Great prices and customer service. I picked up both a 6" and and 8" filet from the V-Lo series. I then added a paring knife from the same series. I use that for initial cuts, the 6" for the main filet work and the 8" for skinning if the filet is on the wide side ( flounder, big Red etc...) The nice thing is that all three were only about $50

Thanks guys. I'm really leaning towards the Dexter V-Lo but hate to buy online love to support our local economy. Any shops carry a nice selection?Also, wish the Bubba blade had better reviews, Jack what's your thoughts ?

I have had that VLo for about 5 years....but I also have the bubba blade stiffy and the Cutco 7". The Vlo is much like to Cutco and each have their uses. I bought my V-LO from TFO. The biggest issue with knives is people don't keep them sharp.....they may think they are sharp but nope- and that makes filleting miserable. I run my blade through the sharpener after every other fish or so. I forget the name of the sharpener but its a blue and white (fishermans choice maybe?) but its by far the best sharpener I have ever used.

At ICAST I spent an inordinate amount of time with the Dexter Knife rep and VP.  They suggested for saltwater uses that the soft grip is the best of the series.  I currently use the Basic in the serrated and 6" and the traditional in the 8".  The wood handle on my traditional has finally started to separate.  They said the quality of the steel on the  soft grip is as good as they have and better than the traditional which is very good.  I clean sometimes hundreds of pounds of fish at t a time.  Not soft fish either like pompano, kings ect.....   Im not going to say which knife is the best because I have not used them all.  I like Dexter, and sell the Bubbas.  I get a lot of feed back on the bubbas.  Once I push guys to the Dexters they don't come back.