Sign in to follow this  
mgogle

Kayak - 12ft Dagger Cayman - SOLD

IS this a good yak guys? I am thinking about buying one for those days when I dont feel like launching the boat.I dont know much about kayaks, I had a canoe that I enjoyed fishing from, other than the seats. I am tall, and found myself hunching over a lot a with the bench seats so I felt more stable in the canoe. Led to a lot of painful back days.

Depending on how tall you are that one is probably going to be a little cramped. The key to comfort is the legroom. i have a prowler 13 with a rudder that I find a little small. i am 6'3" and 210. My prowler Big Game and Native Slayer 14.5 are very spacious. If you are over 6'2" my personal recommendation is to try it out first. Nothing worse than fishing in a kayak that is too small for you

Scott- when looking at yaks it is all about comfort... With being so low to the water and the constant sitting, it is imperative to be comfortable! I have fished out of a few higher end yaks and I can tell you that stability and comfort are key. Andrew Benak let me use one of his old town predator 13's and I can say at 190lbs and wanting to stand up and sight cast, I was super stable and dry in that yak. They are not cheap! About 1300 bucks worth of not cheap, this one looks ok, but I would be sure to look at it and sit in it and if you can do a simple water test you would easily see if it will fit your comfort level and needs.

I did notice a couple of Prowler 15's on the Tampa and Sarasota Craigslists in the $500 to $600 range. If you can find an Angler edition in that range it is a pretty good deal

Sold to the first looker!Scott-All the advice given here is sound. I am 6'1" and 250 lbs and I fished from a 12' Pompano 120 for 2 years. I had no problems and I was definitely pushing the size limit.My opinion is that it is OK to take a flyer on your first boat, since it is the one you learn what you don't like. The second boat is the one to get serious about.