Sign in to follow this  
piscator

WTB Flats Boat

Yea - just keep a close eye on Craigslist - you should be able to get a really nice boat for that price range. This is a good time of year to be looking as well. Good Luck. DO NOT buy a used boat with out a water test and having it checked out by a boat mechanic before negotiating a deal.

You can get a new factory built 16 or 18' with 20 horse Tohatsu (love mine) for under $13,000, Native or Shadowcast. I can go anywhere a kayak can go. You can see one probably at the Outdoor Expo at the end of Feb or take a run over to Ft Pierce. That's where I first saw one and brought it home from the factory. I can run all day (literally ) on less than 2 gal of gas. Check out the Native or the Shadowcast. http://www.ankonaboats.com/

Craigslist is always loaded with options. Please do a water test with a certified tech/mech and pay the small amount for him to check it out BEFORE you purchase it and potentially lose 3-5k on something not seen. A $500est inspection is far cheaper than mistake that costs thousands.Here are a few more to throw in the mix... More to come, because me and a couple other guys here are always on CL looking at good boats! LOLhttp://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/4266968433.htmlhttp://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/4281534528.htmlhttp://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/4267967219.htmlThis one is just a bit more but a super capable flats skiff! http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/4275235067.htmlSame here...http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bod/4259006120.html

Personally, I'd rather have a brand new, custom built, technical poling skiff, boat, motor and trailer for under $13,000 than one that is 5-15 years old and has seen a lot of wear, tear and repairs.Just my feelings.www.ankonaboats.com/?

Personally' date=' I'd rather have a brand new, custom built, technical poling skiff, boat, motor and trailer for under $13,000 than one that is 5-15 years old and has seen a lot of wear, tear and repairs.Just my feelings.www.ankonaboats.com/?[/quote']Although I understand what you are saying and I agree totally with rather having a tech poling skiff. An Ankona is NOT a Hewes and is why they are still seen in very good shape all the time. I don't think you will see Ankona stuff holding together over time and FOR SURE won't hold value at all. Sorry, that's just a fact. I have fished off of an Ankona Shadowcast and it was nice, BUT it is a cheaply built boat. "Wear and tear and repairs" is part of owning a boat...ANY boat! The difference is that instead of rebuilding the engine or re wiring a boat (generally every boat will need that) and having a boat that's not even worth the costs to repair is HUGE! I would take a 1980 Hewes over a brand spanking new Shadowcast every day of the year... Same goes as Hellsbay, Maverick, backcountry, older Makos, action craft (some of them), east cape skiffs, IPB, even Gheenoe! etc etc... If the dude wants a Hewes then he probably knows quality and demands that.For instance, you have a yugo and a Ferrari... They both get used and abused.. Which one are you going to feel better about putting 1000's into over the life of the vehicle and which one would you even be able to sell without giving it away..? Hmmm, same goes for boats.

The 16 footers are a bit small. The maverick has already been sold and the action craft on the treasure coast is spoken for.I have seen some Back Countries that look sweet but I heard they have some transom issues. Funny I have looked at every city in Florida on CL. I guess that's what you do when you can't fish. I do have a 17 ft classic mako I'm just looking for a more deckspace. Thanks for all the replies.Looking back at some of the adds may have to look at the 16's. Like said earlier it's the buyers time of year.

The 16 footers are a bit small. The maverick has already been sold and the action craft on the treasure coast is spoken for.I have seen some Back Countries that look sweet but I heard they have some transom issues. Funny I have looked at every city in Florida on CL. I guess that's what you do when you can't fish. I do have a 17 ft classic mako I'm just looking for a more deckspace. Thanks for all the replies.Looking back at some of the adds may have to look at the 16's. Like said earlier it's the buyers time of year.

The bigger the boat (especially the older ones) the heavier they are and become increasingly more difficult to pole and or get skinny the longer they get... I wouldn't be afraid of the year of the boat so much as the true fishability of it. A nice Hewes bonefisher would be awesome and would get you right around 8-10" draft depending on what engine and load is in the boat.

I have some physiclal limitations so I'm not able to push a boat around a flat. The polling platform makes a nice seat for the misses. If I can troll in 8" to"10 that should work. I appreciate all of you guys keeping a eye out for me.

I have a 16 Hewes and it's great. 1/3 of the time it's too small, 1/3 of the time it's too big and 1/3 of the time it's just right. All boats are a compromise. Mine is ten years old. 2500 hours and solid as a rock. Very well made and built to last a long long time. Walk around a marina in the keys and you will see them in all varieties any vintages. good luck