Sign in to follow this  
at last

Grilling Mackerel? And Taste?

I know that some folks smoke mackerel and some make fish spread and from my reading, it sounds like grilled mackerel is very tasty. I've always released them but am thinking I should give them a try on the dinner plate.Watched a couple YouTube vids on how to clean them and on grilling them. All the vids show leaving the skin on the fillets and suggest putting skin side down on the grill first for about 5 min and then turn and grill the meat for about 5 min as well.Can anyone share their experience with preparing mackerel for the grill and spices used and how they taste? Also, do you eat the skin or simply eat the meat.Thanks

Mackerel is great if you clean, cook, & eat the same day you catch it. It's good just about any way you decide to cook it (same goes for trout). I don't eat the skin but know that some people like it. I like to make a marinade with the following: olive oil, fresh grated ginger, fresh minced garlic, fresh squeezed lime juice, soy sauce, honey, salt, pepper. Marinate for at least 3-4 hours and then cook on the grill. So good, now I need to go catch some macks!!

It is best to leave skin on, as mackerel flesh is delicate. For mine, I prep it by squeezing a fresh orange into a 1/2 stick of melted butter and baste the fillets. I put a buttered (or oiled) aluminum foil under the fillets so the grate doesn't lose any fish. Salt and pepper to taste. You can put the salt and pepper into the orange butter and then it's just one step.If you grill hot, the skin crisps and can be eaten. Tastes fine. When you throw back a mack, you have passed up a tasty meal!! Last week was ridiculous for mackerel.

I am just not a fan of eating king or Spanish mackerel, until now! I love to catch 'em but I used to give them away. Tried smoking them and while that is good, it takes too much time and effort. I like to catch and eat the same day. Have tried cooking it all kinds of ways. So I did a little research and found a recipe that works for me.Based on two pounds of Spanish, king fish or swordfish steaks (one inch thick), combine 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried Thyme leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, one teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Place 2 tablespoons of oil (I use olive oil) in a frying pan. Remove skin (Spanish) and skin and center vertebrae from the king fish steaks and split in four sections. You can just leave the king fish in 1 inch steaks (with vertebrae) and cook it that way. Combine all ingredients except oil. Place the pieces in the glaze until well coated. Over medium heat saute the pieces in the oil for 3-4 minutes or less, depending on thickness. Don't over cook!Any uncooked fish keep well in a vacuum sealed bag.

My wife cuts an orange into slices and we grill kingfish filets directly on top of them like you would a cedar plank. Works quite well.Jerrbare, I may use that approach the next time we get a couple of nice spanish macks.

I filet the Spanish of the bone leaving the skin on. I soak the filets in teriyaki for a couple hours and throw them on the grill skin side down. I close the grill for around 3 to 4 minutes and then check the center with a fork to see if the fish is done. I don't flip it and the skin keeps the side that is down from getting too overdone.

When filleting them I don't worry about the little bones on the lateral line. That said once I have the fillet loose I do cut out the bones and the dark blood line. I just don't think it's good eating and muddies up the taste plus it makes the fillets a bit more manageable size.I found the following recipe and have liked it. I mostly followed it except I used shredded parmesan instead of cheddar. I love cheddar but in my mind it's just not a flavor I associate with fish.Cheesy Oven-Fried Spanish Mackerel2 lbs Spanish mackerel fillets1 cup milkI cup dry bread crumbs

I prefer Mack's on a smoker. And do fish spread. Basically when the fish is done you can just use a fork and pull all the good meat off. Cut the fish into sections about 2" wide and throw on the smoker. Then go about with whatever "spread" type of ingredients from there like celery, mayo, a little worcestershire, salt and pep, even a splash of bourbon... LOL I like spicy so I put all kinds of stuff in the spread but it's easy and awesome with crackers and a few nice jalape

Classic recipe for Ladyfish from another forum

step #1, fillet fish, skin, cut out blood line step #2, get a cast-iron skillet with some vegetable oil real hot,step #3, bread the fillets in whatever breading you choose,step #4, fry fish until golden brown,step #5, throw that sh&t out and eat the skillet.

Mackerel is one of my favorite fish to eat, and they are the easiest fish in the world to clean. Just fillet and leave the skin on. Fire up the grill and you don

Since this thread has been revived, I have a question. I'm originally from NJ and caught macks up there. I guess they're Boston Mackerel but not sure. Anyways, I tried it and, to me, was very oily and fishy tasting and inedible. So, for anyone who has caught and eaten macks up north and spanish, is there a difference in the flavor?Thanks.

Totally different fish Barry....I used to use the "they're mackerel" line on people up north who would catch Spanish and not know what they were! Told them they were oily, dark meat, not good to eat. Just like the Boston macs that everyone was familiar with, lol. :smiley-laug

Since this thread has been revived' date=' I have a question. I'm originally from NJ and caught macks up there. I guess they're Boston Mackerel but not sure. Anyways, I tried it and, to me, was very oily and fishy tasting and inedible. So, for anyone who has caught and eaten macks up north and spanish, is there a difference in the flavor?Thanks.[/quote'] Yes big difference. FL. mackerel are very good to eat. mackerel from Chesapeake Bay not very good to eat to me. Wonder if it is really the same king of mackerel up north?

Everyone has their take on the macks so here's mine. Both fish are best bled and iced when caught. When cleaning remove skin, bones, and red blood lines, leaving just nice clean meat. Rinse a few times in ice cold water to cut oils. Spanish macks I prefer to fry. Kings are great for blackened fish tacos. To smoke I rub with liquid smoke and salt and pepper, place on cookie sheet and smoke low and slow. Flip half way and add chips to keep smoking. Check for nice brown color and firm moist flaky meat and be careful to not overcook. I use the Perry smoked mullet festival recipe and folks fight over it at work.