Sign in to follow this  
capt mike

Fly fishing

Fly fishing for trout is a different game than most.Normally when fly fishing you are sight casting a visible fish laid up or cruising. You are presenting a bait instead of casting with the hopes off visibility. Unlike most saltwater fly fishing, fishing for trout is done in deeper water in grass flats.The patterns that were recommended by Capt. Mike work great and have been staples for years. The thing I have found about trout is they are not really picky when it comes to flies. Visibility and presentation is key. I use brighter colored flies (Pink or Chartreuse) usually a baitfish pattern with a lot of action (Ostrich plumes) Posted ImageAlso I like to use Brad's "Lucky Fly" This is a big bodied baitfish fly that we normally use to target snook or tarpon. Posted ImageWhen presenting a fly over a grass flat I look for transition lines (Sand or depth transitions)Trout are ambush predators that lay waiting in the grass for their next victim so these transition lines are the best place to find them.Cast past the spot and let it slowly sink into the grass line. Once its reached the grass then i strip it a few times to bring it up in the water column. Then let it sink down to the grass again. I repeat this action all the way back to the boat. Doing this is not the most entertaining style of fly fishing but it tends to drive the trout crazy.

Phil- if you can afford to buy the premade tapered leader I would suggest that. I personally tie my own leader because my 7wt gets used for many applications and it's easier to just change the ends. On a 7/8wt setup I use a 4' section if 40lb then a 3' section of 30lb^^^this is my base and it's standard for most applications. Now the tip sections change from fish to fish and application to location.If I am targeting snook in the groves or around structure I just tie a 2' section of 25lb to my 30lbIf I am on a open flat looking for redfish I will tie an 2' section of 20lb to the 30lb and then tie another 1.5' of 16lb or 12lb to the 20lb.The redfish I fish sight cast are over pressured and turn away at 20lb leader. If the water is gin clear I have had them turn away from 16lb so I go to 12lb.I connect all my sections with a blood knot or double uni.Personally I like the blood because how the tag ends lay out an I get less sea slime caught on it.Either knot selection will work just make sure to pull tight when assembling the leaders so you don't have a issue when a fish is on. If it can hold you pulling as hard as you can it will hold a fish.Arti- I honestly don't have time to tie flys. I have good friends who are way better than me at it that sell them. Thanks for the share on the video. I love Third Day

I still can't see anything. I use chrome and safari on Mac. Tried my iPad and my iPhone. Nothing

I use chrome on a mac as well. The videos don't show up for me either unless I go to the top right section of the address bar and click on the little shield. Then click load unsafe content.

If you guys like those fly fishing videos, you should order the Geofish Mexico movie. Here's the trailer for the series. It's been posted on this forum before but it's pretty sick, its part fishing and also about the trip itself. They convert an old truck to run off veggie oil and go to crazy places to fish.