Sign in to follow this  
capt mike

Fly fishing

Cant go wrong with any clousers I like a tan/white to imitate a shrimp the only thing is i would tie in a weed guard if you are going to fish shallow with any grass around. Other than that tie up a little E.P. Baitfish pattern like an Olive/White to imitate a smaller finger mullet or a White bait. those two flies right there will do for some bigger trout. Lastly for an all rounder I like a little E.P. Shrimp which is deadly on anything whether that be trout snook or redfish. Good Luck out there with the fly fishing you will absolutely love it.

Cant go wrong with any clousers I like a tan/white to imitate a shrimp the only thing is i would tie in a weed guard if you are going to fish shallow with any grass around. Other than that tie up a little E.P. Baitfish pattern like an Olive/White to imitate a smaller finger mullet or a White bait. those two flies right there will do for some bigger trout. Lastly for an all rounder I like a little E.P. Shrimp which is deadly on anything whether that be trout snook or redfish. Good Luck out there with the fly fishing you will absolutely love it.

Thanks Capt! I'm definitely novice to fly and can't wait to sink my teeth into it and learn all I can. I lost a real good snook (gill plate break off) just the other day with my spin tackle and I had my fly rod with me and was contemplating throwin it once we got to the area where I hooked into that snook... I'm sure I would have had my hands full of "holy crap, I wasn't expecting that fight"!! LOLCan't wait to get my first in the bag. Thanks again and Any other advice is always welcome

I personally make my own leaders. You can buy the pre tapered and they work fine . Just personally I like longer longer leaders from 12' to 14'. This gives you some Lee way when casting at shallow spooky fish. I like to run for my flats stuff 30lb to 20lb to 15lb. For mangroves I just do 30lb to 20lb. If for bigger fish are around ill go 40lb to 30lb.

Except for the backyard, I haven't touched the fly rod in years. Cpt. Mike...the fly patterns that you mentioned. Does TFO have them available already made? If so, I'll stop by and grab a few and see if I can remember how to fly. :cheer:

Those are looking good phil! :smiley-shoc Man there are so many different flies to choose from! Looking forward to taking some fly tying classes and being able to fool a fish with something that I made myself. There is nothing better than that in my book. Here are a few flies I picked up last night.Posted Image

I used mainly the fly to the right on the left side of the case yesterday and hooked into 2 big gators and a redfish. Unfortunately I lost them all, did get some small keeper trout and ladyfish. It's different hooking a fish on fly, you strip to set the hook and that s*&^% is hard sometimes. Stripping in a good fish is gonna take getting used to as well.

Timmy- Ron and I got the same combo and came with 9' 8wt rod and reel' date=' backing, weighted forward floating fly line, tapered leader, and case for under 200 out the door. [attachment=8009']hc8a15d2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=8010]hcf2b7d8.jpg[/attachment]Can't go wrong with starting cheap and still have great quality! Plus lifetime warranty! I plan to make it to the cast class on Saturday, I have been practicing quite a bit but I'm sure I'm doing ok but I want to make sure... It is a lifetime of practice. Haha If you see a canoe staked out on the flats and a dude wading with a bent fly rod hopefully it's me with a fish on and not cussing at being hung up on something LOL!!

I got the same reel with a diff rod. With the leader that comes on that reel, cut the very end (I cut like 1.5-2ft) and tie on about 3 ft. of 20# fleuro for abrasion resistance and you'll be good to go.

That's good to know about the leader. Yeah the last 2ft or so of the tapered leader that comes with the rod is crazy thin! That fly that was in my case was an EP everglades baitfish. That sucks that you lost the gators but at least you got some on fly! Were you site casting to them or just fishing an area you know holds fish?

Fly fishing is awesome, you will love it. I have only caught a few bass and one rainbow trout on the fly. But as for trout, probably a clouser fly. If you are out on the flats fishing with a clouser, you might hook into a redfish or snook too. Clousers are one of the most versatile flies out there in my opinion. And they are easy to tie, I have tied a bunch of them. Once I get more fly stuff I'll make you some clousers!

That's good to know about the leader. Yeah the last 2ft or so of the tapered leader that comes with the rod is crazy thin! That fly that was in my case was an EP everglades baitfish. That sucks that you lost the gators but at least you got some on fly! Were you site casting to them or just fishing an area you know holds fish?

Blindcasting to a spot I know holds fish. The first trout I hooked into was a nice gator - prob about 24". I pulled an amateur move and was messing with my gopro and he came unbuttoned. I was super pissed at myself. I will take a pic of the fly I was using and post it to see if it was the same one. Glad you guys are getting into fly fishing too!

Thanks for sharing Artie 6 this is my second year @ the Saltwater Fly , it is fun and they guys are great , i went mid price on every thing and very happy with the results. The hardest part is just taking the Fly rod & leave everything else @ home . Enjoy the voyage

I used a lot of diff flies but this is the one that consistently got bit.[attachment=8017]h4abaefc.jpg[/attachment]

Cool. That's the same EP everglades baitfish fly that I have
Nice, i have that fly on the right side of your case on the far right. Have caught a few snook on it, working it slow near mangrove lines.

sweet... don't forget a crab pattern! nothin better to drop on a tailer.. wait till you start tying your own man you will love em even more ... if you get your materials from craft stores instead of fly tying supplies its usually much cheaper.. there are only a few specialty items that you may not find there.. once you start landing fish on your own hand tied flies you will never get off the vise! that pinfish one looks killer