Sign in to follow this  
scotttennant9876

st croix mojo inshore series- any reviews?

Returned some stuff to west marine so I bought a st Croix mojo inshore series with the credit. Medium power, fast action 7'6", 8-17lb line. plan on throwing one of my battle 3000s on there for bigger snook/reds around structure. Anyone use one before ? Any reviews?

The rod should be good for bigger fish around structure, but I did not like my battle. Lots of wind knots, line lay is mediocre, and anything below a 4000 size really does not balance well with the rod. I had the exact same rod and reel setup but i had a 4000 size. Get at least 20 or 30 lb braid on it if you're gonna use braid that way you don't get that much knots. But if anything return the reel and get a shimano spheros or a 4000 Sahara FD (I love my sahara FD) the newer models do not feel as solid as previous models. They seem a lot more cheaply made. But then again I only felt them on a tackle shop and haven't really fish with them

I have a few battles and they are decent reels. I didn't buy it to put on the rod, it is just the only reel I have laying around that would be a decent match. I have a 4000 as well so I will see what feels best. Plan on using 15 lb power pro hivis yellow. Never had an issue with wind knots on the battle before. 20lb is a little much IMO. Rod held up well for you though? It's my first st Croix.

If you have good luck with the battles then great! I haven't at all. But I gave that rod to Chank and that rod pulled some multiple 30+ inch snook away from pilings under a bridge EASY. Also 20 lb braid is not a lot when structure fishing at all. It's the minimum i would use.

Yeah I won't argue with that. They are on the heavy side, but I had one sitting in my garage so I will throw it on there for now. I haven't had a problem with wind knots, and the weight isn't a huge deal when fishing live bait around structure.-Not throwing artis all day with it or anything.

The Mojo Inshores are good rods. I have a 7'6" medium. Pulled the Penn Battle 4000 I had on there and replaced it with a Shimano Symetre 4000. Much happier with it now. Its a great rod for throwing heavier artificials like spoons, LT sardines, etc.The old Battle 4000 went on an Ohero Gold rod that I won in a raffle...that combo is now a live / cut bait setup. No complaints there as I got my first cobia on that one.The Battles just aren't my choice for casting artificials anymore...

I love it so far. Even with the battle it has a nice feel to it. Definitely not my arti combo though. I've got the okuma rtx with a star stellar lite for that, the redbone with saltist 4500h for tarpon, and this for bridge/dock snook...plus a bunch of other random combos for kings, grouper, etc etc etc. My garage is getting full. Before my wife saw that I bought a new rod I called her and said, "remember all the stuff from west marine I never put on the boat? Well I returned it and had store credit so I HAD to use it, so I basically got a free rod". Lol.

I have a 7' MedHvyFast and absolutely love the rod. I think it one of the best rods in it's price range. It gets overlooked because it's only a few dollars cheaper than the Tidemaster (I have both) but it's every bit as good.

I've never thrown a mojo but have heard good things about it! That's a stout rod you have in a med/hvy and I'm sure it can pull some good fish in! What reel are you using?

I have a 7'6'' medium mojo. Great rod but it's a little too heavy for me to throw artis all day. I am thinking of getting a 7ft medium light' date=' fast action mojo soon for artificials.[/quote']I agree with CodyS. I have the 7'6" MF Mojo paired with a Smoke 30PTs and it's an awesome combo just heavy. As CodyS wrote, my next rod will also be a Mojo 7' MLF and I'll pair it with my Smoke. I also might have the bottom guide replaced with one of those micro-guides to improve casting distance and eliminate wind knots.I will say this, I've fished with the 7'6" Mojo / Smoke combo for about a month now and the balance feels good. I just want the shorter, more sensitive rod for soft artificals. I might try a Helios 30 on my 7'6" Mojo. Especially while there is a $30 rebate on the Helios!-Tight Lines

St. Croix are excellent rods. I love my Tidemasters. Why does everybody buy fast action rods? I switched to moderate action and will never go back. The rod tip is more forgiving and I am convinced I land more fish with mod. action rods. Moderate action is so much better for casting artis too, especially on the flats. You will get more distance on your casts with moderate action. Guaranteed!

I have a 7'6'' medium mojo. Great rod but it's a little too heavy for me to throw artis all day. I am thinking of getting a 7ft medium light' date=' fast action mojo soon for artificials.[/quote']This was exactly my experience with the exact same rod! Gave it to chank and he caught some serious snook under bridges with it