Sign in to follow this  
phil030

A little fly and a little trout.. LOL

So I went out this morning on my canoe and was determined to get a fish on fly.. I had previously got a ladyfish a few days earlier, but I wanted a target species. Went to a very reliable spot near my house and rigged up the rod and tied on a custom fly from the dude at Bill Jackson's and after a few casts (15 or so) I landed a dink trout so not worthy of a picture as I was laughing my but off! I even let it pull a little drag for shiz and giggles... Stoked to get this thing down pat and get on some good quality fish ASAP! Oh yeah, I did stab myself in the elbow on one of my back casts with the wind blowing sideways and watched the fly do Mach 4 right to my elbow and holy hurt! All good, shrug it off and keep casting! LOLBetter stuff to come soon, fingers crossed!

Nice man! I just got back from messing around with the fly rod around some dock lights and hooked into a nice snook! I was about to pull the fly out of the water for another cast and boom it came out of nowhere! I froze and was like what should I do next but it shook the fly pretty quick as I had too much slack... I think I need to practice on some trout and ladyfish first!

Awesome job Phil! You will get the hang of it pretty quick. before you know it you will be casting at Tailers and laid up Poons!

That's what I'm talkin about Mike! I know it won't be long, I am dedicated to trying to master this and I won't give up until I do. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

You'll be catching more fish on that thing than I do on spinning hahahah

Bro I honestly can only hope... All of my guide friends have said "once you get the fly down pat and landin fish, you won't go back to spin" I don't think I will ever give up spin cuz that's all I've ever known! And I believe there is a time and place for each respectively... But I plan on putting a fly in as many fishes faces as I possibly can! It's a lot of work and in no way easy to master, but I am super determined!