Sign in to follow this  
phil030

There's a first for everything!

When I was out the other day there were tons of small baits = perfect time for fly's - congrats

Yep I saw quite a good bit of white bait a couple days ago near some spoil islands and along the mainland is showing lots of finger mullet too!

Way to get it Done Phil!!!! Those are some awesome catches for sure! I noticed the blisters on the hand ouch! One thing you might want to try to stop that from happening again is to change your grip on the fly rod. Act like you are shaking someones hand and use the same approach while holding your fly rod.

Congratulations my dude on a killer day with the fly rod!!! Those are some nice looking fish. I'm sure we'll talk some time this week on the phone and you can tell me all about it. Way to go again!

Phil on the fly apparently is no joke. Awesome, awesome fish caught and a hell of a job well done friend. I told myself this year i'd get out with a friend an learn to throw a fly. This isn't motivating by any means lol. Great report and again huge pat on the back brother!

Way to get it Done Phil!!!! Those are some awesome catches for sure! I noticed the blisters on the hand ouch! One thing you might want to try to stop that from happening again is to change your grip on the fly rod. Act like you are shaking someones hand and use the same approach while holding your fly rod.

Thanks Mike! Yeah I do hold it like I'm shaking hands but the real reason I got my hand worn out was they were in wet gloves all day and very pruned! LOL I didn't even realize I had the blister til I took them off... Plus all the paddling didn't help... About 6 miles roughly hahaHey on another note, I keep getting small knots in the bite tippet every once in a while... I think I was trying to rush the cast on the forward cast cuz I knew I was on fish LOL but has that happened to you?

I've been chewing on the idea of picking up a fly rod for awhile now' date=' but wanted to get my tarpon rod first...going into Spring.These pics aren't helping my resolve. *lol*[/quote']Fly is crazy but can be very rewarding BUT man it is not the easiest! What tarpon rod/setup are you going with?

What tarpon rod/setup are you going with?

Just picked up a Shimano 8' Teramar XH and stuck a Penn Battle 6000 on there. Would like to throw a big Stradic on it.
You don't need any bigger than that 6000 dude that's plenty.The rod will cast and fight well for sure!

Ok...ok...damn you guys...Neighbor is a fly guide and I've been talking to him about learning the basics for months now.He brought over a spare combo this afternoon and I got newbie lessons. Was able to get consistent casts 30-40' without hauling despite the wind. Basically free lessons from a pro...can't turn that down...with some practice I'll have plenty of distance for flats sight fishing.Oh yeah...he's selling me a turn key 8wt Orvis combo with a Rio bonefish taper and 30# dacron backing.So I guess I'm in. *lol*

Awesome job Phil! Great day and congrats on the fly rod slam!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave! Great chatting on the phone with you earlier. It's a lot of work for sure but the presentation it gives is amazing... I still have tons to learn and am very lucky to have a few areas I'm confident the fish are at. I have to work hard to relax more and keep a little tighter loop in my casts.. I get a small knot in my bite tippet (basically the last few feet of leader that ties to the fly) every once in a while on the final forward cast... I've talked with a few guys and they said it is cuz I am rushing the final forward cast... Lots of continued practice!

There could be several reasons why you are getting those knots in your line but more often than not its from rushing your cast and getting sloppy creating tailing loops that throw knots into your line. I know its hard to relax when you got some big fish in front of you but just keep calm make sure your cast is reaching its full potential and put it to em! Though as long as the fish eats that's all that matters! keep up the good work Phil!

There could be several reasons why you are getting those knots in your line but more often than not its from rushing your cast and getting sloppy creating tailing loops that throw knots into your line. I know its hard to relax when you got some big fish in front of you but just keep calm make sure your cast is reaching its full potential and put it to em! Though as long as the fish eats that's all that matters! keep up the good work Phil!

Thanks Mike! Yeah I know I just need to relax more on the final forward cast. But man I love it and am determined to get this down pat. I feel I'm almost there. Thanks so much for your wisdom and offering help/advice!