Sign in to follow this  
piscator

Paying for a charter

I have noticed on several guides websites(I'm looking to book a charter) that they'll give you the rates for a charter but not a method of payment. Is it cash only or are credit cards excepted. A full day with two people can cost north of $600.00. Being able to use a credit card would be a good option for some. It should go without saying the tip should be cash.

What area are you looking? I don't imagine many people want to use a CC for a fishing charter but a lot of guides sites I look at take credit cards or paypal which you can use your CC there. So I guess there are some people that do. I am sure they use the CC option mostly for deposits.

Myself and all the charter boats around Boston all "prefer cash" as a first choice with checks coming in second. Very few boats take credit cards but that is changing with improvements in technology and security. Paypal is another option that is growing in popularity, especially for holding reservations. After that, the balance reverts back to first and second choices above.Here, all day, offshore trips regularly go for $1200 and up or the guys don't want to leave the dock. The cost of fuel is so prohibitive that I stopped doing offshore trips a number of years ago. The way I see it, there are plenty of fish in the harbor, the gas doesn't kill the entire fare, the people have a better time, more fishing time AND they don't get beaten up or weathered out. A "win-win (X 10) for all"!Captain Jason ColbyLittle Sister Charters

One reason why a lot of captains do not accept credit cards is because we will have to either up charge you or lose money buy running your card. So preferably like Jcolby said Cash first than check second. Also 600 dollars is the going rate for a inshore charters here in Tampa Bay. My rates start at $400 for two people half a day, $600 for a full day two people.

No disrespect whatsoever to anyone in the charter business, I can only imagine the ultimate overhead and HARD work it takes to successfully operate day by day so believe me I'm not questioning anyones rates lol. I'm sure the experience some of the captains and guides on this site an throughout TB could offer would be a day you'll never forget. What would be pretty sweet is to get a one on one full day trip with a well known captain that would end up being more like a classroom session on the water. Just physically get out on the water an listen from a professional's point of view what they are looking for an how they carry out their day locating and successfully putting their clients on fish day after day.......with some of my own personal fishing taking place throughout this "learning session" as well of course.

Phisherman813 Thats what I try to implement on my boat when I take out customers. Sure catching a lot of fish is fun but understanding how you were able to catch those fish and being able to duplicate that when you go out the next time is even better. I would say probably 90% of my charters usually consist of people that our new here or just beginning and they are wanting to learn the Tampa bay area. Though it is a little bit harder to teach when you have more people on the boat making sure every is baited and fish being de hooked lol. Also there is a group of us captains that will come on your vessel and show you how we would fish off of your boat to help accelerate the learning curve at a less expensive cost.

I except both cash and credit cards.I except credit cards as a convenience to my customers. I get a lot of out of town clients and I know in today s world a lot of people do not like to carry a lot of cash around.I do NOT up charge or charge any type of convenience fee. I feel that excepting a card is the cost of doing business in a modern world.600.00 is the across the board average for a full day for 2 people. IMO if you are a local and trying to learn it would be better to do a couple of 4 hour trips so you could learn different scenarios and areas.

Mike and Steve I got fixated on the word "over" $600. Short story: One time I went out with a guide in Boca Grande for some inshore fishing with a buddy. It was a last minute gig and he only advertised $200 for a full day. After watching him attempt to throw his cast net I asked him if I could throw it once just to see. I actually throw the net in the chum slick, loaded the well on his nice little lake and bay boat and off we went.....the rest of the day was rather lame. Save up, or get a buddy or two to split costs and do it right!

Mike and Steve I got fixated on the word "over" $600. Short story: One time I went out with a guide in Boca Grande for some inshore fishing with a buddy. It was a last minute gig and he only advertised $200 for a full day. After watching him attempt to throw his cast net I asked him if I could throw it once just to see. I actually throw the net in the chum slick' date=' loaded the well on his nice little lake and bay boat and off we went.....the rest of the day was rather lame. Save up, or get a buddy or two to split costs and do it right![/quote']Great example of ya get what ya pay for. ;)

Grey Beard The rate I charge to go out on a clients boat is $250 for the day.

This is a good deal for the guy who is local to the area. Capt. Mike would be a good pick in my book to teach you a lot in the course of a day.Keep in mind to discuss with your Captain what you would like to learn through out the course of the day before you even board the boat.

Captains, look into the "Square-up" for your credit cards. Straight 2.5% (may have gone up a little). No hidden fees which were killing us. Saved us $100s of dollars. Works off your smart phone and you can send the customer a receipt via email right on the spot.

I like CaptStevebetz idea, he says,". IMO if you are a local and trying to learn it would be better to do a couple of 4 hour trips so you could learn different scenarios and areas". One time about ten years ago a guide on the other fishing form got me for $300.00. We talked on phone and I felt sorry for him. Said he was having trouble at home, and asked if I could send $300.00 to hold the fishing trip on his flats boat. I sent the money and never heard from him again. My best friend NY Richard was the only one to try to help me. Richard and I almost got kicked off the Capt.Mel fishing forum, while the guide got the money. No one on that site had the guts to say anything about the guide. It was my falt to them, and I think NY Richard did get kicked off the site for trying to get this guide to meet us in person. Them scam people sure know how to find people with a good heart. If you know what I mean.

I like CaptStevebetz idea' date=' he says,". IMO if you are a local and trying to learn it would be better to do a couple of 4 hour trips so you could learn different scenarios and areas". One time about ten years ago a guide on the other fishing form got me for $300.00. We talked on phone and I felt sorry for him. Said he was having trouble at home, and asked if I could send $300.00 to hold the fishing trip on his flats boat. I sent the money and never heard from him again. My best friend NY Richard was the only one to try to help me. Richard and I almost got kicked off the Capt.Mel fishing forum, while the guide got the money. No one on that site had the guts to say anything about the guide. It was my falt to them, and I think NY Richard did get kicked off the site for trying to get this guide to meet us in person. Them scam people sure know how to find people with a good heart. If you know what I mean.[/quote']Andy,I remember something like that happening back then. I don't know who the guide is but if I had to guess hes not in business anymore.Its a sad state now days. I have been screwed over myself by a few different fellow guides in the past 5 years.I just put a little chk mark by their name and move on.