Sign in to follow this  
cyrusd40

The reason why...

most of you know me as cyrus, and few of you know my story, and a couple of you know me personally and know some of the hardships i have been through and had to deal with so I decided to write my article on Why I love to fish. Do you remember the first time ever holding a fish? or the first time your father taught you how to tie a uni knot? or how to properly set (Night Crawlers) on the hook? I remember like clear daylight the time my father and I set out about our ways to Lake Thonotosassa, I had no clue what I was doing but I knew that we were fishing. Shortly after getting set up my dad who I always looked up to was freaking out because he just hooked up with a alligator, and it was the coolest thing ever not just to see him fight the alligator, but to spend quality time with him and make memories that i'll never forget. Shortly after the release of the Alligator I caught my very first fish ever, it was a hand sized Bluegill, the way my 9 dollar Walmart reel combo was shaking and moving is a feeling I will never forget. The question still remains is, Why I love to fish?The reason I love to fish is because it gives me a clear state of mind. and Freedomnot freedom to where I can do whatever I want and get away with it. But Freedom that god gives me another day to live on this earth and that I'm able to spend it doing the things I love. Fishing is a relief and the best relief is waking up at 4 A.M and heading to the Alifia River to launch your kayak ( in my case ) and catching a huge trout or a redfish at the crack of dawn. The best feeling in the world is knowing you're doing something that you love, and to be able to have the freedom and will is the greatest thing ever. Another reason why I love fishing because it reminds me of my dad and the times we shared.My dad passed away almost a year ago due to a stroke and 3 months before he passed we were sitting in a Jon boat on a private lake in seffner florida, catching bass and the conversations and the fish we caught was just a awesome time and the reminiscing about the past was just memorable.I blamed myself for so long after he passed and I ended up getting rid of the Jon boat because every time I went out I didn't even want to fish it just felt awkward and I ended up just sitting out on the water for endless hours just watching nature, and the sky and how beautiful it was from sunrise to sunset, and then i found love for it all over again, I knew this is where god wanted me to be and that he wanted me to take this time by myself to reflect on my life and what he provides for me everyday at the tips of my fingers he provides me a thing I called Life.And thats why I love to fish. Here are some pictures I have taken over a course of the past three years just some things I love and some cool people I have met along the way. post-9559-14121222096317_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222096611_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222097353_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222097694_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222098074_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222098659_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222098074_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222097694_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222097026_thumb.jpgpost-9559-14121222096069_thumb.jpg

it is all good and I to remember catching my first fish was a rainbow trout and I remember watching it take my live shiner and I was hooked I grew up in northern PA and me and my brother and a couple kids in the neighbor hood in the summer months would spend all morning watching fishing shows walkers cay chronicles and a few other shows and then head down to the lake or stream and fish all afternoon and talk about how one day we would catch a tarpon now me and my brother live in the keys and get to catch those tarpon we always dreamed about catching and now my dream has gotten bigger now I want fight a tarpon from a kayak

Cyrus......that was a wonderful post and tribute to your Dad. Glad you're moving back here. Hopefully, we'll be able to get together and try to catch some nice fish. Thanks again, my friend. :)Edit: Moved the thread to All Things Fishy so more people will read it!

Cyrus, That was a beautiful post and reminds me of my dad. He taught me how to fish when I was about 4 or 5 years old. We look forward to your return to Florida. BTW, that nurse shark in your set of photos sure looks familiar.

idk that nurse shark was caught on some dudes boat a while back, ohwait... :smiley-laug Hopefully we can pull up some big ones on your new boat, how do you like the new ride?

idk that nurse shark was caught on some dudes boat a while back' date=' ohwait... :smiley-laug Hopefully we can pull up some big ones on your new boat, how do you like the new ride?[/quote']We love the boat. We're able to use it so much more than the other boat. We've used the new boat more since we've gotten it than we used the old boat in a whole year. In fact, a few weeks back I was trolling a flat and I was able float by a crab trap with the top couple of inches of the crab trap exposed. I just had to say WOW!, We certainly couldn't do this in the old boat. It still draws more than a hard core flats boat but not much more.

Lucky! thats my dream kayak! lol im without once since i have been up here in south carolina, it's terrible not having one and having so much water around to fish. Im trying to save up for a cheap 400 dollar one from basspro shop but all my savings goes to my little sister and her school and what not so we'll see what happens

Lucky! thats my dream kayak! lol im without once since i have been up here in south carolina' date=' it's terrible not having one and having so much water around to fish. Im trying to save up for a cheap 400 dollar one from basspro shop but all my savings goes to my little sister and her school and what not so we'll see what happens[/quote']Trying to save up for a kayak and all of your savings is going to your little sister and her school :thumbsup: ??? You sir are one AMAZING kid! That says a lot about you and your character. :worthy: Tell you what, I live in the Tampa area and would love to take you out fishing on my Jackson Big Tuna. When are you coming down to Florida? Shoot me a PM and I can give you my info so maybe we can team up one day and slay some fish. I'm still so impressed with your above comment. There should be more kids like you in this world as opposed to kids suing their parents because they won't pay for their college.

Trying to save up for a kayak and all of your savings is going to your little sister and her school :thumbsup: ??? You sir are one AMAZING kid! That says a lot about you and your character. :worthy: Tell you what' date=' I live in the Tampa area and would love to take you out fishing on my Jackson Big Tuna. When are you coming down to Florida? Shoot me a PM and I can give you my info so maybe we can team up one day and slay some fish. I'm still so impressed with your above comment. There should be more kids like you in this world as opposed to kids suing their parents because they won't pay for their college.[/quote']I second that. He is a great kid. I've fished with him a few times and had him to our home for dinner. But don't put him on your Big Tuna, He'll flip it over on you. He has a habit of doing that. :smiley-laug Jk :P

i am a big tuna myself! haha just kidding but in all seriousness, i have only flipped one kayak! and it wasn't my fault... that kayak was a disaster waiting to happen and well it happened, right in middle of a boat channel by the skyway bridge on the south rest stop and i had to walk it back with stingrays and jelly fish all around me! i'll always remember that.