Sign in to follow this  
codys

Beach Snook on fly?

I'm so stoked to sight-fish some snook as soon as they show up on the beaches! I am guessing I should just walk the beach early morning or evening and look for their shadows... just not sure what flies to use or how I should approach them. Anyone on here have experience fly fishing snook on the beach?

I'm so stoked to sight-fish some snook as soon as they show up on the beaches! I am guessing I should just walk the beach early morning or evening and look for their shadows... just not sure what flies to use or how I should approach them. Anyone on here have experience fly fishing snook on the beach?

I'm in the same boat...super pumped to get a beach snook on fly! I've heard white baitfish pattern's work well for beach snook. I hope some experienced fly fisherman will chime in with some good info.

I'm in the same boat...super pumped to get a beach snook on fly! I've heard white baitfish pattern's work well for beach snook. I hope some experienced fly fisherman will chime in with some good info.
Hey Ron, y'all got me into that vimeo.com website - I never heard of it until you posted a video from it. In any event, search "snook beach" on the website and there are a few videos of guys throwing a fly on some snook on the beach. I too would imagine that a white baitfish pattern would work. I hope you are able to find the video.

Sounds like fun! I'd like to go catch some big tilapia on fly too' date=' anyone got a good place for big ones?[/quote']Endless tilapia in our lakes...I'm throwing wooly buggers at bass right now. Curious to see if a tilapia will pick one up if I let it lay in her bed...

Sounds like fun! I'd like to go catch some big tilapia on fly too' date=' anyone got a good place for big ones? That's a clean enough area to eat them from? ;)[/quote']Lake Walsingham in Largo is pretty clean and is loaded with big tilapia.

Sounds like fun! I'd like to go catch some big tilapia on fly too' date=' anyone got a good place for big ones? That's a clean enough area to eat them from? ;)[/quote']Lake Walsingham in Largo is pretty clean and is loaded with big tilapia.
Let's hit it! Get you some practice with that fly rod!

Sounds like fun! I'd like to go catch some big tilapia on fly too' date=' anyone got a good place for big ones?[/quote']Endless tilapia in our lakes...I'm throwing wooly buggers at bass right now. Curious to see if a tilapia will pick one up if I let it lay in her bed...
Sounds like it will work. Looks like the bugger has a short tail which from what I'm reading is the right set up. Get some pics up and fire up the grill!OK, back to your "beach snook" channel.. ;)

Cody I was impressed by your casting last evening in my driveway! I knew you would get it down. I can't wait either and I think the best time would be in the morning with the sun to your back so you can see them much much easier... And cast parrallel when you spot them cruising up or down beach. I'll hit it with you as soon as they show up! I think a good white bait imitation would be the deal. Even the small white ones I have would get hammered most likely. I want to get a couple slightly bigger ones made up soon too. I'm also dying to use that big pinfish pattern I have! post-17124-14121222105077_thumb.jpg

Cody I was impressed by your casting last evening in my driveway! I knew you would get it down. I can't wait either and I think the best time would be in the morning with the sun to your back so you can see them much much easier... And cast parrallel when you spot them cruising up or down beach. I'll hit it with you as soon as they show up! I think a good white bait imitation would be the deal. Even the small white ones I have would get hammered most likely. I want to get a couple slightly bigger ones made up soon too. I'm also dying to use that big pinfish pattern I have! [attachment=8339]h3501433.jpg[/attachment]

Free fly casting lessons??? I'm in!!!

LOL I'm absolutely NO PRO!!! But I would be more than happy to show you the ropes and get you casting as well as I know. Let me know when you have some free time in the later part of the day upcoming... Of course that all depends on what's hitting on the water cuz I may not be available LOLWe'll hook up asap

I keep having to postpone the fly tying classes to get started with the basics due to my work load... BUT when I do I will probably sit every night tying something LOL. There are some fantastic detailed instructional videos on Vimeo for just about anything you want.

LOL I'm absolutely NO PRO!!! But I would be more than happy to show you the ropes and get you casting as well as I know. Let me know when you have some free time in the later part of the day upcoming... Of course that all depends on what's hitting on the water cuz I may not be available LOLWe'll hook up asap

Sounds good - I'm sure I'll probably just run in to you somewhere anyways LOL. We still gotta grab that beer.

Sounds good - I'm sure I'll probably just run in to you somewhere anyways LOL. We still gotta grab that beer.
LOL true... Grab a beer here AFTER casting 101 and enjoy the fire pit.

LOL true... Grab a beer here AFTER casting 101 and enjoy the fire pit.
Sounds like a plan - young grasshopper over here is eager to learn.

For my self on the beach fish I like to throw an Olive and white EP or Polar Fiber Minnow.Also an Olive and white or an All white deceiver is another great fly. For the approach use a fairly long Fluorocarbon leader like up to 14'.