Sign in to follow this  
icatcher22

Salty Fly 2014

Since it seems like this forum is itching for fly fishing I'll give you our SaltyFly tourney run down. 2 red 1 trout longest length.Rawdaws(Brian) and I loaded up the kayaks and got ready. Checked in at little harbour and off by 6:30am. Pretty funny watching 100 teams trying to race to start fishing on a one way in/out road. We played it smart and parked at beginning and had Brian run to car lol.On water by 7:30am and start throwing clousers in a channel off a flat hoping to get a good trout off our back. I catch a 13" trout and after 30 min we head to first red spot. We can catch a bigger trout later.First spot and we are on fish:post-31072-14121222145032_thumb.jpgpost-31072-14121222145312_thumb.jpgFishing dies down and we make our way across the flat. Saw tons of red - very clear water very spooky.Brian finally upgrades us:post-31072-14121222145489_thumb.jpgNow we are kicking ourselves in the ass for not trying to stick out a bigger trout in AM. A few shots at skinny water gators and no eats. Oh well we have to head in for "weigh in".Ended up 8th out of 100 teams. Most fish caught on this type of fly that Brian tied the night before - just diff color pattern.post-31072-14121222145736_thumb.jpg

Yes crab patterns are a redfish favorite. Green crab patterns have been killer lately, but I tend to have more of a baitfish/shrimp pattern in case we see a big snook or trout. The more you get into fly fishing the more you realize its no the choice of fly that many times, but the presentation. Didn't win anything for 8th but still cool to hold our own among the big guys on their $50,000 skiffs. I had a good shot at a monster trout that would of slid us into the top 3... He just slowly swam out of the pot hole ignoring my presentation, then proceeded to swim right next to me and stare me down. Big mid to upper 20's fish.

Awesome job! It was a tough day for us. We found all sorts of fish but they were just being very spooky. We hooked one trout all day it was a big girl my guess between the 22"-25" range but just pulled the hook. So we came up with a big fat goose egg lol.

In no way are we "proficient" fly anglers. It's honestly the first time both of us have gone out on the water and brought ONLY the fly gear. We were just in a good spot with a lot of happy fish. It's a fun tourney even if you don't end up with anything. Good people all around, and the biggest prize was raffled off, not won.