Sign in to follow this  
crboggs

Anyone familiar with Cheeky fly reels?

I'm considering the Mojo 425 as my upgrade path from the Orvis Batten Kill 8/9 I have now.http://www.cheekyflyfishing.com/reels/mojo-425I'll be looking at something with sealed drag and the larger arbor.The Mojo 425 looks like a nice option in the 7-10 wt range without getting into stupid money.

I have never owned one but I have held them in my hands and I know a couple people that own them and love them. For the price I would say they look hard to beat. I am actually considering one for my next reel too. I haven't heard one negative thing yet.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to that review it is a dud when it comes to drag. Plus if you read the comments on the bottom Quote....I think they are essentially the same reel as http://www.wright-mcgill.com/fly-fishing/blair-wiggins-saltwater-sabalos-fly-reels that I have seen for $150. Not that that's a terrible thing, but probably not a good deal at nearly $400.... Drag mechanism looks identical. Both sourced from China.Posted on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 pmIMO I would pass on it.

I would look at the Allen kraken xla too!I'm trying to decide between a Lamson speedster or a natulis fwx.I think Capt. Jim Lemke uses the Mojo reels.

I was really close to being an owner of the speedster but for another 100, I will pass for now LOL

Low drag numbers for both the Cheeky and Lamson.It probably makes the reel more of a "flats" reel than a "backwater" reel where you need to stop fish running to structure.Notable lack of Nautilus reels in that comparison.

Splurge on the Nautilus CCF-X2 8/10 w/ the Giga Arbor?You could throw that reel on an 8wt rod w/ line for reds / bones or you could put it on a 10wt rod with heavier line and chase tarpon / cobia / big momma beach snook...

Low drag numbers for both the Cheeky and Lamson.It probably makes the reel more of a "flats" reel than a "backwater" reel where you need to stop fish running to structure.Notable lack of Nautilus reels in that comparison.

Yeah very surprised about nautilus in that review too! They are always a close second to Hatch in other reviews I've seen.Yeah the drag on mine (guru 3.5) has not been tested by me BUT it is way better than my stock Redington reel and that reel got worked out on a 31" snook and won! LOLThe thing about fly is that the reel (especially in lighter weight reels) is more of a storage unit for the fly line and backing.. You don't depend on the "reel" as much as you depend on your hand controlling the line. I was able to stop that snook from running into groves three times and the reel did the job in the open areas... I can't wait to let it burn on open flats!

Nautilus's new reel has the lowest start up inertia on the market. Strange it didn't include them. Also strange that they have my tibor signature weak reviews. I have a gloomis and a guru. And although I love them both the tibor has a much better drag start up, range of adjustment, and power. Also I use my guru on my 10wt. It does fine on large stripers and tarpon. Both love to run. No complaints on drag from me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nautilus's new reel has the lowest start up inertia on the market. Strange it didn't include them. Also strange that they have my tibor signature weak reviews. I have a gloomis and a guru. And although I love them both the tibor has a much better drag start up' date=' range of adjustment, and power. Also I use my guru on my 10wt. It does fine on large stripers and tarpon. Both love to run. No complaints on drag from me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']I've always seen the Tibor line as the "original and purist" reel but it seems with the newer, more modern stuff, some people don't find them appealing due to looks and maintenance... Just what I've heard and read, NOT my opinion...Do you have the Guru 4? I saw that when I bought my 3.5 and they said it was a good poon reel

Unless you are catching bonefish, tarpon, permit drag is not a important factor. Unless you are catching 30" fish you are hardly ever going to see the backing. Honestly if it's sealed or not not a big deal unless you plan on dunking your real for a cool photo. For our fish around here its just a fly line holder.

Nautilus's new reel has the lowest start up inertia on the market. Strange it didn't include them. Also strange that they have my tibor signature weak reviews. I have a gloomis and a guru. And although I love them both the tibor has a much better drag start up' date=' range of adjustment' date=' and power. Also I use my guru on my 10wt. It does fine on large stripers and tarpon. Both love to run. No complaints on drag from me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote'']I've always seen the Tibor line as the "original and purist" reel but it seems with the newer, more modern stuff, some people don't find them appealing due to looks and maintenance... Just what I've heard and read, NOT my opinion...Do you have the Guru 4? I saw that when I bought my 3.5 and they said it was a good poon reel
That is true. That's why I went tibor signature and not tibor Everglades. The new signature line is 100 percent sealed. 0 maint. No more servicing cork drags. I don't even have to fresh water rinse it if I don't want to. It's pretty cool how it is set up. I love it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nautilus's new reel has the lowest start up inertia on the market. Strange it didn't include them. Also strange that they have my tibor signature weak reviews. I have a gloomis and a guru. And although I love them both the tibor has a much better drag start up' date=' range of adjustment' date=' and power. Also I use my guru on my 10wt. It does fine on large stripers and tarpon. Both love to run. No complaints on drag from me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote'']I've always seen the Tibor line as the "original and purist" reel but it seems with the newer, more modern stuff, some people don't find them appealing due to looks and maintenance... Just what I've heard and read, NOT my opinion...Do you have the Guru 4? I saw that when I bought my 3.5 and they said it was a good poon reel
That is true. That's why I went tibor signature and not tibor Everglades. The new signature line is 100 percent sealed. 0 maint. No more servicing cork drags. I don't even have to fresh water rinse it if I don't want to. It's pretty cool how it is set up. I love it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NICE! Yeah I've looked at that reel and it's a sweet piece!!!! That's good to know about the difference in that and the Everglades...

Oh and yes I have the guru 4 and love it. My only complaints. Are drag limitations and it's a hard knob to adjust while fighting a fish. And the tolerance between the spool and the housing is so close that sand or grit can get between it and make a terrible grinding noise and almost lock it up. I have literally had to dunk it in water to clean it off while fighting a fish to get one price of sand out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk