Sign in to follow this  
andrew benak

Keys, Camping, Awesome Adventure... Thoughts?

So I have this vision and idea in my head... I want to get to the keys again. BUT.. BUT camp on some "keys" I wanted to fish for either reds/snook/trout OR!! bring some bigger gear and go south and go for permit and tarpon. I want to rough it.. go with minimal gear, (what fits in kayak) pitch the tent at night start a camp fire and just really get lost in the adventure and thrill of it all. I know there are some keys that actually have camping areas and docks to make it easier but I don't even need that... a sand beach would be fine. Yes I am sure bugs may be bad but I feel if we get away from land and find a small key it should help a bit. I guess what are all your thoughts on this? Is this something anyone else would be interested in?

Andrew,, "Camping", as you would generally think of it, is not, "Technically" legal in most of the Keys except in designated campgrounds of which there are several. I can help you with choosing one. If you remember my post from a few weeks ago regarding another planned trip, there is one in Key West that has unbelievable tarpon within less than a mile. With that said, I know of several spots in the lower keys where you could probably get away with it as long as you keep a low profile. As for me I will bring the big boat and come visit you, but overnight on those islands is NOT my idea of fun!

I one time tried to go camping on one of the islands bugs were really bad all the dry wood we could find to burn was filled with scorpions and in the am they were in some of the tents I did not sleep that night so I do not think I would have been up for a fight with a big tarpon the next day it always sounds fun but I would be up for a get together off key west for some tarpon sometime cant wait for the worm hatch

I love camping and kayaking in the keys. I would be in anytime. I have a trip I have been looking at and it is camping on the dry tortugas. The ferry that takes people out there has room for 5 to 6 kayaks and the camping is first come first serve. No power. No bathrooms no real campsites but said to be unreal fishing. I looked into it last year. Not sure if anything has changed since then. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk