Sign in to follow this  
phil030

Show off your flys and tips (official thread)

This is the first time that I have seen this thread. Phil mentioned fly fishing the other day when I ran into him at Tarpon Fishing Outfitters. I see myself getting sucked into this sooner than later. What are the rods and reels you guys are using? I know what I would like to say is a decent amount in regards to spinning and conventional tackle, but when it comes to the fly setups my knowledge base goes as far as my neuro-science degree.Thanks,Jesse

All depends on how much $$$$ you are willing to spend and what you want to fish for. My advice would be to not break the bank when you first get started to see if it's something that you are interested in, but at the same time get something that will last. For redfish/snook/trout and juvi poons an 8wt is a where you want to start. TFO BVK is the least expensive 8wt rod that gets some of the highest reviews by professional fly fisherman every year. The consensus is it's a $300 for what feels like a $600 dollar rod. Great warantee as well. My best advice however is to look up your local fly shop and go in and talk with them. Most of the time they can give you casting lessons and actually fit a rod/reel for your "style" of casting. Some people like to muscle through their casts, while others are more patient/relaxed and use more finesse. Their are different rods that will cater to all of this and there is nothing like the knowledge of people who do it day in and day out. Plus, you get to support small businesses, make a great contact when you have 100000's of questions as a beginner, and they can get you into the best part of flyfishing which is tying. And like I said, casting lessons are very important because you don't want to develop any bad habits at the start. Better to just learn the right way the first time. Let us know if you go pick something up, and welcome to the addiction!

All depends on how much $$$$ you are willing to spend and what you want to fish for. My advice would be to not break the bank when you first get started to see if it's something that you are interested in' date=' but at the same time get something that will last. For redfish/snook/trout and juvi poons an 8wt is a where you want to start. TFO BVK is the least expensive 8wt rod that gets some of the highest reviews by professional fly fisherman every year. The consensus is it's a $300 for what feels like a $600 dollar rod. Great warantee as well. My best advice however is to look up your local fly shop and go in and talk with them. Most of the time they can give you casting lessons and actually fit a rod/reel for your "style" of casting. Some people like to muscle through their casts, while others are more patient/relaxed and use more finesse. Their are different rods that will cater to all of this and there is nothing like the knowledge of people who do it day in and day out. Plus, you get to support small businesses, make a great contact when you have 100000's of questions as a beginner, and they can get you into the best part of flyfishing which is tying. And like I said, casting lessons are very important because you don't want to develop any bad habits at the start. Better to just learn the right way the first time. Let us know if you go pick something up, and welcome to the addiction![/quote'] :thumbsup: Agreed!

This is the first time that I have seen this thread. Phil mentioned fly fishing the other day when I ran into him at Tarpon Fishing Outfitters. I see myself getting sucked into this sooner than later. What are the rods and reels you guys are using? I know what I would like to say is a decent amount in regards to spinning and conventional tackle' date=' but when it comes to the fly setups my knowledge base goes as far as my neuro-science degree.Thanks,Jesse[/quote']Hey Jesse it was cool to meet you the other day! I'm still very novice at fly, but have had some good luck at times. When I decided to get in the sport I went to Bill Jackson's and met and spoke with the fly department there and found them to be very well outfitted and nice to talk to and deal with. One of the guys there is Brad Lowman, a well rounded expert on fly. Also there is Cody that is equally helpful. I chose the Redington Path 8wt rod/reel/case/fly line combo and I've caught a lot of good fish with it without breaking the bank! Around 200 out the door. They also sell flys there and provide free expert casting lessons (HIGHLY recommended)!!! I have upgraded since then, but still use that rod setup for constant practice keeping a nice tight loop in the cast. I'm for sure NO expert but feel pretty confident I could help you if you wanted to meet up and give it a whirl, LOLFly is/can be very expensive but IMO you don't need the $1000 rod or the $1200 reel to go catch tons of fish and enjoy the sport....

Guys,I appreciate the feed back, I work in the outdoor industry and Bill Jacksons is one of our retailers that I have built a solid relationship with. I am good friends with Brandon in the archery/gun section, and am going to head down there and talk with them on picking up a decent setup. Half the draw to the fly is the wicked flies that you guys have tied. That is absolutely amazing, they look like pieces of art.When it comes to the different WT rods, I'm assuming that is in reference to the stiffness of the rod much like a light action versus medium and so on and so forth. one more question, can you cast from a seated position in a kayak? Either way I will keep you guys posted on progress as it comes and look forward to diving into this one.Thanks Again!

Guys' date='I appreciate the feed back, I work in the outdoor industry and Bill Jacksons is one of our retailers that I have built a solid relationship with. I am good friends with Brandon in the archery/gun section, and am going to head down there and talk with them on picking up a decent setup. Half the draw to the fly is the wicked flies that you guys have tied. That is absolutely amazing, they look like pieces of art.When it comes to the different WT rods, I'm assuming that is in reference to the stiffness of the rod much like a light action versus medium and so on and so forth. one more question, can you cast from a seated position in a kayak? Either way I will keep you guys posted on progress as it comes and look forward to diving into this one.Thanks Again![/quote']Casting from a seated position will take a good amount of skill IMO I definitely prefer standing or just hoping out of the yak and wading... The wt of the rod is also the fly line too. The action of the rod is a whole different thing. There is a library of things to learn with fly.I think the best all around setup for snook, reds, trout, etc is an 8wt... It's light and easy to cast. Go have a talk with Brad or Cody and they will point you in the right direction.

Guys' date='I appreciate the feed back, I work in the outdoor industry and Bill Jacksons is one of our retailers that I have built a solid relationship with. I am good friends with Brandon in the archery/gun section, and am going to head down there and talk with them on picking up a decent setup. Half the draw to the fly is the wicked flies that you guys have tied. That is absolutely amazing, they look like pieces of art.When it comes to the different WT rods, I'm assuming that is in reference to the stiffness of the rod much like a light action versus medium and so on and so forth. one more question, can you cast from a seated position in a kayak? Either way I will keep you guys posted on progress as it comes and look forward to diving into this one.Thanks Again![/quote']I cannot do it well sitting down in my kayak, i have a jackson cuda 14 that i can stand in and phil has a old town predator that he stands in. I use a lawn leaf bag for a stripping basket. It's doable sitting, my dad is pretty good at it but he's a much better fly fisherman than I. You can get out of your kayak and wade. And you are correct about the weight of rod/reel. I'm no fly fishing expert, i've only been doing it predominately for the past 6 months. Like phil said, brad at BJ is the man, he will help you out a lot.

Alex' date=' I couldn't help but notice the phish sticker.....Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk[/quote']Best band in existence![/Yes.....couldn't agree more. You doing any of the southern shows this summer? We're doing both nights in Bama an finishing up in Alpharetta. Wait all year for those three nights lol.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Alex' date=' I couldn't help but notice the phish sticker.....Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk[/quote']Best band in existence![/Yes.....couldn't agree more. You doing any of the southern shows this summer? We're doing both nights in Bama an finishing up in Alpharetta. Wait all year for those three nights lol.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk
yeah, goin to 3 this summer