Sign in to follow this  
phil030

Show off your flys and tips (official thread)

I Don't currently own a fly reel but plan on getting one soon and was wondering when you tie your flies how do you get the spots on them? They are all very good looking I wish I could see robbie's but they don't show up

I Don't currently own a fly reel but plan on getting one soon and was wondering when you tie your flies how do you get the spots on them? They are all very good looking I wish I could see robbie's but they don't show up

The striping on my flies are from a sharpie marker. Also there is a wide array of Hackel feathers that have all different patterns on them to be used on certain flies.

What kind of reel are you looking for?

Ok thanks, and for the reel I have seen and been told about the reddington path fly combo by numerous people here. Also, I am getting dive certified soon and so we think we are doing that at bill jacksons I might as well look around when I am there.

Ok thanks, and for the reel I have seen and been told about the reddington path fly combo by numerous people here. Also, I am getting dive certified soon and so we think we are doing that at bill jacksons I might as well look around when I am there.

Cool, I love Bj's. Make sure you talk with either Cody or Brad bc they both have years and years of fly fishing experience. They will be able to answer any questions you have and point you in the right direction for a fly rod setup.

After a 5 year period of being out of fly fishing I have started back up again including tying flies again. Here are some shrimp flies I tied for redfish. Also, I was looking at all the flies posted in this thread and you guys are really some professional fly tyers...........great work !!

post-159379-0-32217200-1414144674_thumb.jpg

post-159379-0-15028500-1414144689_thumb.jpg

I don't know about sheepshead, I've always had best luck with crab patterns for them, only one way to find out though and that is to cast it at one!

Sheepshead do eat shrimp! One of my friends claimed he got a sheephead to eat a clouser by stripping it across its face really fast and got a reaction strike out of it. but he said he lost it at his feet... True or not? idk.

Got out the 8 wt yesterday and thre a 2-1/2" flashaboo clouser I tied, hooked a beast of a bass, but forgot I had a 2 LB tippet I used for crappy... lost him after 7 minutes, so went to the bench to make some stuff.

Here is my first attempt at a saltwater fly shrimp pattern.  Used a sz 4 aberdeen, main body/legs was a portion of a shredded (by mackerel) jerkbait, and carapace is some ThinSkinz printed sheet. Eyes are 50 lb mono, antennae are 15 lb mono. Thread work is rough, but it's a prototype.  Sink rate tested at 3 seconds per foot, floats down perfectly upright. Hook point sits between legs to make it weedless.post-215740-0-11326100-1419874814_thumb.jpg