Sign in to follow this  
theamazinghason

Leaders

Not sure what it's called but a very simple knot I used to get started goes like this.Pair your braid an flouro leader together.Loop them to form a standard knot together, loop them two more come complete times an then cinch the knot tight.Clip your tags an catch some fish. This isn't the smoothest knot nor my preference now that I have the Albright and double uni down pact but it has held up against some quality fish so I do trust an still use this knot when I need a quick retie.

I have no issues with the Albright failing, but I always tie it with the braid doubled. Maybe that makes a difference?Also, I snug the know by tugging hard on all 4 ends of the braid coming out of the knot (there are 4 because I double the braid)

I always use a uni-knot when joining my braid to my leader - I also double up on the braind when making this knot.As far as how much leader to use, I always use the general rule to make your leader bigger than the fish you are targeting. For example, if you are targeting BIG bruiser Reds, I would make my leader at least 3 feet long. When I target BIG Snook up on the beach, I use about a 5 foot leader so I can cut away any leader that the fish have frayed.I hope this helps.

My only issue with the double-uni is that it doesn't cast as smoothly as the albright.On the albright you have to take your time and interlace the twists. A small drop of zap a gap or super glue doesn't hurt either.

I personally like the Albright it's one of the smallest and strongest knots for line to leader connection. I determine the amount of leader I'm using for the type of fishing situation I'm in or the target fish I'm fishing for. But for general rule of thumb for artificials I like to use about 3' to 4' leader. For live bait I like to use 6' to 8' of leader.

I agree with pickgrin, that it sounds like he is using the surgeons knot. Posted ImageAnother knot similar to that and stronger is the j-knot. Posted ImageNormally I use the Alberto knot aka modified Albright.

When I got a lot of time on my hands ill do a fg knot aka sebile knot.
Whatever knot you use make sure it is one you can tie with confidence. I personally like to take some time and tie knots that I wanna use over and over as a form of muscle memory. This way I know exactly how to get it right when I'm out in the water. If your knot looks messy and linked up, cut it and start over. Pretty much every knot I know of should look neatly stacked when finished to be properly seated. Remember to keep it lived up well and go slow when tightening also. Cinching down fast or dry can cause a lot of friction heat and significantly weaken a knot.As far as your Albright slipping, I presume you are using the normal version of the Albright. That one is known to slip with braid unless you make it with a lot more twist(like 30). Posted ImageAnother way to do a easy strong Albright is the reverse Albright. Notice with this version you are looping the braid first and wrapping it around a straight stand of mono/fluoro then finishing it by pulling the mono end through the end of the braid loop.Posted ImageLike i was. Saying earlier. Find a knot you like practice it over and over. Find the knot you have the most confidence in because that is going to be the best knot you tie. Fishing is all about confidence.

I use the suregeons knot but If there is a big difference in line size it will slip. When im using 30lb braid and 30lb flouro it works well and even 10lb braid and 20 lb leader its good, but when using 8lb braid and 20lb leader or 10lb braid and 30lb leader if its not lined up perfect a big fish will pull it out. Im with Capt Mike- I use long leaders Bc im mostly a live bait guy.

also remember, no matter what knot you use, casting a knot through your guides will weaken the line over time and cause premature failure.I tie a perfect alberto knot, never had one fail on me yet, but this weekend i ended up casting off my lure and most of my leader. i was using a 5 foot leader and the knot was repeated casted through the guides and eventually the line snapped right where the mono exits the knot. The knot itself didnt fail since the fluoro was still trapped inside the alberto, it just snapped right where it exits out.

For heavier game fishing (Dolphin, kings) I use an Albright, especially tied to wire. For inshore, the Slim Beauty (always double the braid). Capt Steve Betz uses it also. It is a little more complicated than a uni-uni and is rated slightly higher in strength. A double surgeons is the one I use for my fly line leader, 40-30-20.

Im with Capt Mike- I use long leaders Bc im mostly a live bait guy.

Been fishing artificials for years and rarely live bait up until last year. Never thought to increase the leader length when using live bait - wondering why you guys are. Thanks!!!

Im with Capt Mike- I use long leaders Bc im mostly a live bait guy.

Been fishing artificials for years and rarely live bait up until last year. Never thought to increase the leader length when using live bait - wondering why you guys are. Thanks!!!
when you are artificial fishing you are mostly getting a reaction strike.they dont eye the bait as long since in their eyes they are seeing fleeing meal, thats probably putting off a good vibration or sound or flash thats just screaming EAT ME! DO IT! DO IT NOWWWW!buttttt....when you are using live bait....the fish has a long time to eye it out...whats this random greenback doing sitting here all alone struggling in 1 spot? It doesnt always make a difference,but a lot of bigger fish will see a shorter leaders knot and the braid. They've probably been caught before and see these things on a regular and know to not bother with that. The more natural you can make your live bait seem, the less reluctant a wary fish will be.

Is there a particular brand of flouro leader you guys prefer to use?

I like the Seaguar blue, Yo-Zuri pink and Ohero leader brands all about equally. All 3 of those seem to have good abrasion resistance IMO. The Ohero is the least expensive of those if you get it at Tampa/Tarpon Fishing Outfitters.