Sign in to follow this  
brineshrimp

Kingfish from a kayak

Anyone here go after kingfish from their kayak? I have been wanting to try it out but don't know where to go? how far out to go? Can I freeline bait or do I have to troll? I know a lot of people do some over on the east coast, but has anyone been successful at catching them off the west coast? Pinellas County? I know of a bunch of artificial reefs situated right off the beach in 15-20ft of water. Is it worth to try it out there or do I go farther out? I know it's a lot of questions but if anyone has any pointers they would like to share, I would be much appreciative.

When the kings start to run on the beaches. There are plenty of kayaks out there fishing for them as well as tarpon. If you really want try a new kayak style of fishing. Check out our Yak Attack on the events forum. :thumbsup:

Anyone here go after kingfish from their kayak? I have been wanting to try it out but don't know where to go? how far out to go? Can I freeline bait or do I have to troll? I know a lot of people do some over on the east coast' date=' but has anyone been successful at catching them off the west coast? Pinellas County? I know of a bunch of artificial reefs situated right off the beach in 15-20ft of water. Is it worth to try it out there or do I go farther out? I know it's a lot of questions but if anyone has any pointers they would like to share, I would be much appreciative.[/quote']If you are really interested in going a to fish the mighty King some guys from the Hardcore Kayak Anglers Club (HCKACLUB.COM) are going out this Saturday (4/26)...the weather looks ideal. Register for the club then introduce yourself and let them know you'll be joining. They are really good guys.Let me know if you have any questions.

Ah what a great opportunity! I am definitely going to look into it. However, I am heading offshore this weekend, but I would definitely would love to tag along next time you guys go out! I'll check out the club page and introduce myself. Thanks!

Awesome! That's great to hear! What kind of fish are you catching? I dove one of those reefs a few years back in the middle of winter. Vis was ok, but the water was freezing. Saw tons of life and plenty of good fish swimming around, I'm wondering if it's like that throughout the year. Danny

Yea man, they are actually going out on Saturday off Indian Rocks Beach...if that is where you are going you should see them. There will probably be around 6-10 yaks out there. I believe they are using the 12th street parking lot...they will get there very early.I thought about going this Saturday myself. Not sure where I was going to go just yet. Kings sound like a lot of fun though.

We usually fish for kings in the Gulf, but I live in the Panhandle of Florida. We start catching them 1/2 mile out and the max we go out is 5 miles. The water is 50 ft deep at 1/2 mile and 80ft at 5. We troll a duster rig with some live bait. Sometimes I will just drift a duster rig while I am catching more live bait and pick up a king that way.