Sign in to follow this  
tarpon1999

motor for a kayak

You can get a lot of motor for 500 bucks. My Minn-Kota 50lb thrust was less than that and pushes my 14' fiberglass boat along just fine. Just do yourself a favor and get the salt water version. As a side note I returned two of the Motorguide motors and went with the Minn-Kota. A little more pricey, but a no worries motor in my experience.In conclusion - get something smaller that can be fed by a smaller battery. 50lbs might have you taking flight!

I have an Ascend FS128T Sit-On-Top Angler Kayak and looking for a trolling motor or it looking to spend at most $500 on one any suggestions?

One of my fishing club members, Bob Hamilton, owns B&C PowerYaks, based out of Palm Harbor on Alt. 19. He specializes in motorizing kayaks. I'm sure he can get you on something for what you're looking for.Of just be like me and drop $2K on a 403 Ultra-Light Torqeedo :thumbsup: . The motor weighs 10 pounds and the battery weighs 5 pounds - it pushes my 14' tandem kayak, with 2 people in it, at a top end speed of about 5.5mph.

does your buddy have a website

Here you go my dude - www.bcpoweryaks.com/home.htmLet him know that Tim from the fishing club recommended you and he will take care of you. Really cool guy who LOVES what he does and loves kayaks. Let's just put it this way, his personal "river kayak" has LED lights, two 55# thrust trolling motors, and a stereo system. Needless to say, that 110# thrust of power pushes his kayak just fine.

I've dealt with BassYaks and they are very unprofessional in my opinion. Besides providing you with a freshwater trolling motor, which I wouldn't recommend for salt water, if you purchase their "do it yourself" kit and need over the phone assistance from BassYaks when installing the motor, they won't give it to you.I'm telling ya, check out B&C PowerYaks, they will definitely take care of you.

I had a different experience than you with Bassyaks. They will get you any trolling motor you want. If you got a freshwater, that is likely what you ordered. He chased down pricing for me on a torqueedo from Germany and was way less $$ than anyone else. I don't know anything about B&C. The steering system on Bassyaks is sweet and obviously he has done endless kinds of kayaks. Just remember you need to register ur yak as a boat once you add a motor. Numbers and everything. The government needs theres.

Yeah, I wound up purchasing a trolling motor from Torqeedo. It's super lightweight - the batter and motor weigh about 15 pounds and the motor is a 50# thrust trolling motor. Life expectancy on the battery is about 10 years. I have it rigged up sweet on my kayak, where I steer with my feet and use the throttle to power the motor. Obviously because of this, I wound up registering the kayak.

I'm a "diy" guy... I like bassyaks design but not a fan of the owner. I've seen to many posts from him that truly made up my mind about his professionalism. I made my own bracket and made my own style of controls that keeps my deck clutter free. You can make your own for a couple hundred bucks...motor included.The Torqeedo sounds like a great product at only 15 lbs. With battery is incredible! It's a little pricey for me but it definitely would be a huge advantage if you have to paddle back home.You don't want to paddle back with an extra 70 lbs of dead weight! Trust me.

Anyone familiar with the motors offered by Island Hopper? They have a short shaft, saltwater 30# sealed unit for $199.99. Warranty is 2 years & shipping is $35.

If in FL, don't forget to register the boat with your local tax collector. My kayak came with a DIY motor set up and when I went to register the boat the state wanted $85 plus your annual fee.I looked at the lady and said $85 for a $700 boat, forget it.For $65 I'll part with it. Let me know if interested. That would include the motor, cables, battery. You'll probably do some redneck engineering to make it happen. Let me know if interested and I'll check the status of everything - last I checked it was functional. It's a Minn Kotta 30# thrust endura - fresh water model. I'm in the Lithia/Brandon area.

Anyone familiar with the motors offered by Island Hopper? They have a short shaft' date=' saltwater 30# sealed unit for $199.99. Warranty is 2 years & shipping is $35.[/quote']When I was researching trolling motors, I looked at this company. Are you sure that the trolling motor you looked at is rated for saltwater? Additionally, I have a 50# thrust (Torqeedo 403 Ultra Light) trolling motor on my kayak and it pushes my Jackson Big Tuna just fine. I think a 30# thrust should push your kayak fine too.Look at B&C Power Yaks. They are located in Dunedin/Palm Harbor, right on Alternate 19. I personally know the owner and he can hook you up with what you are looking for. The owner is a great guy and truly loves what he does. I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. Below is their website:http://bcpoweryaks.com/

Just thought I would share a little information concerning the registration fees for kayaks in Florida.I spoke to the Pinellas County Tax Collector, and was informed that fee for registering a 12' - 15' kayak is $31.53 per year. Additionally, there is a $10 title fee, (one time), and as long as you have your receipt, no additional tax is paid.

Just thought I would share a little information concerning the registration fees for kayaks in Florida.I spoke to the Pinellas County Tax Collector' date=' and was informed that fee for registering a 12' - 15' kayak is [b']$31.53 per year[/b]. Additionally, there is a $10 title fee, (one time), and as long as you have your receipt, no additional tax is paid.

Bob, I think you also need the certificate of origin. For example, when Amanda went to register our Big Tuna, the receipt of purchase from Bill Jackson's wasn't sufficient enough. We needed to contact Jackson Kayak and have them put on letterhead that they sold this kayak, with the serial numbers, to Bill Jackson, who then in turn, sold it to me.Come on now, do you think the State would make it easy for us??? :smiley-laug

Timmy,That is correct, in most cases..............however, some manufactures don't issue serial numbers, or certificates of origins. In these cases a bill of sale, and/or a retail sales receipt, is generally used for registration purposes. Of course, this is all based on what day of the week it is, and who at the registration office you get to service you...............................

Look at B&C Power Yaks. They are located in Dunedin/Palm Harbor, right on Alternate 19. I personally know the owner and he can hook you up with what you are looking for. The owner is a great guy and truly loves what he does. I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. Below is their website:http://bcpoweryaks.com/I stopped in today & Bob definitely is someone I could do business with!

This topic is a constant struggle for me: old school kayak paddling and keeping it simple vs. the chance of 'wandering' too far to paddle back on my own (I'm adventurous and love to explore...time and tides get away from me sometimes) So thanks for posting the question - maybe I'll read something that'll knock me off the fence I've been riding! :unsure:

Kind of off topic here.Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of Yak-ing to paddle or peddle these days? My opinion is if one wants to motorize a water craft, why not get a boat? Am no purist also not looking to ruffle feathers...... just have a hard time wrapping my head around this. Want to get skinny in a motorized boat, pick up a gheenoe. You'll cover a lot more ground with the 10hp on the back and still access 90% of the waters a Yak can, the other 10% get out and wade. A used will cost about the price of a new yak, with a motor on it.If so many are polling there skiffs what does this tell you? The trolling motor is making your presence known to the critters we seek?Only other explanation "IMOP" could be that we do not want to paddle? So, why not get a boat? No room for storage? Okay, get that. Not looking to be a %#*@, looking for enlightenment. Help an old dude understand this new trend.Thanks, Paul

OK, here's what I don't understand.................... if a topic comes up on the forum that you have NO interest in, why do you come on and post a negative reply? I have no interest in freshwater fishing but don't post about bass fishing. As far as Paul's suggestions go, I already own a yak & am not about to go out & buy a boat. A Gheenoe not only requires a registration but so does the trailer! I'll give Paul credit for mentioning storage space because this is one of my predicaments. I don't mind paddling but, as I approach my 65th birthday, I know there are times heading back into the wind or a strong current can be overwhelming. Those of us discussing this topic are all in similar situations and looking to share our thoughts..I too don't want to be looked on as an antagonizer, but I guess I just had to vent! If you don't have anything positive to contribute to a post, pass it by & read the next one.

Look at B&C Power Yaks. They are located in Dunedin/Palm Harbor' date=' right on Alternate 19. I personally know the owner and he can hook you up with what you are looking for. The owner is a great guy and truly loves what he does. I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. Below is their website:http://bcpoweryaks.com/[/quote']I stopped in today & Bob definitely is someone I could do business with! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You will not be disappointed sir!

OK' date=' here's what I don't understand.................... if a topic comes up on the forum that you have NO interest in, why do you come on and post a negative reply? I have no interest in freshwater fishing but don't post about bass fishing. As far as Paul's suggestions go, I already own a yak & am not about to go out & buy a boat. A Gheenoe not only requires a registration but so does the trailer! I'll give Paul credit for mentioning storage space because this is one of my predicaments. I don't mind paddling but, as I approach my 65th birthday, I know there are times heading back into the wind or a strong current can be overwhelming. Those of us discussing this topic are all in similar situations and looking to share our thoughts..I too don't want to be looked on as an antagonizer, but I guess I just had to vent! If you don't have anything positive to contribute to a post, pass it by & read the next one.[/quote']I would actually consider Paul's response to be positive and well thought out. Just because he did not simply list a motor option for you does not qualify as a negative. He voiced an alternate opinion and gave examples of why he voiced it. Quite often, the interplay between varying opinions on threads of this sort might spark an idea that sends the asker down an alternate path that ends up suiting their needs better.If he had said "Anyone who wants to put a motor on a kayak is an idiot!"That would have been a negative contributionJust my opinion.And yes...BC Power Yaks seems to be the best provider if you decide to go that route