Sign in to follow this  
rkotinsky

Garbage Everywhere I Launch My Kayak

Is it me or has anyone noticed alarming amounts of trash left at kayak launch sites? I launched from the Skyway last week and saw trash that originated from fisherman, braid boxes, lure boxes etc. I also launched at the Kitchen in Gibsonton and saw the same. We as fisherman need to do a better job of stashing the trash and keeping it out of the environment. This type of behavior does not further our cause and gives greenie environmentalist ammunition to shutdown fishing areas and launch sites.

I see it just about every where I fish too. I always try to pick up trash when I see it. The Redneck Rivera at gandy is pretty bad. Any trash that I ended up having stays in my boat and then goes into my car if there is not a trash by the launch (which there almost never is).On another note, has anybody else noticed how by the algae bloom is getting in local waters near the storm water run-offs? I'm pretty sure that this is caused by run-off with fertilizer.

How about we pick a place a month. Pick a place and a dozen of us can go and pick up stuff and generally make our environment a better place.If you guys pick a place, register a dozen of you to show up there, and submit a bill to TOF for two dozen donuts and twelve cups of coffee and six big plastic garbage cans, we will cover the costs.No sign of us having nene there except for the place being clean. The more of you that will do it the more donuts we will buy. Animals will remain animals.I hear people all the time who make $150k a year plus cars plus plus plus tell me they are serving the community, or saving the environment.Do it. Donuts on the TOF cleanup crew. Do it once a month. Take pictures, tell the story, and keep it here.Nobody will know if we keep it secret. Nobody will know that the reason the garbage level has decreased is because of a site called theonlinefisherman com. Make it a monthly thing. We get it going on YouTube and other sites and the entire region could clean up a bit.

I'm in!!! I always try to bring a trash bag or at least a plastic bag with every time I go out fishing. That way, I can pick up any trash I see.My buddies, who started a company called Florida Native, are all about this. Florida Native basically translates to keeping Florida looking native and us doing our part to keeping it clean. 10% of all their sales go to things like this. They do coastal clean-ups as well.Does anyone want to spearhead this project? I would love to help out, as I get just as much pleasure cleaning up our waters as I do catching fish.

I'm in.....it may be a good idea to plan it on a weekend at a popular launch spot also. Let all the other anglers in the immediate area see what is going on an maybe start some more awareness around the ramps an such, at least make the pigs of the ramp and waters that are watching feel a little more uncomfortable. I paddled Weeki Wachee river with my four year old last week. It's just sickening to see trash items float down the river from others. Amongst the trash my daughter and I grabbed along the way I did score a almost full bottle of childrens SPF 85. Which is like $10 in the stores lol!

How about we pick a place a month. Pick a place and a dozen of us can go and pick up stuff and generally make our environment a better place.If you guys pick a place' date=' register a dozen of you to show up there, and submit a bill to TOF for two dozen donuts and twelve cups of coffee and six big plastic garbage cans, we will cover the costs.No sign of us having nene there except for the place being clean. The more of you that will do it the more donuts we will buy. Animals will remain animals.I hear people all the time who make $150k a year plus cars plus plus plus tell me they are serving the community, or saving the environment.Do it. Donuts on the TOF cleanup crew. Do it once a month. Take pictures, tell the story, and keep it here.Nobody will know if we keep it secret. Nobody will know that the reason the garbage level has decreased is because of a site called theonlinefisherman com. Make it a monthly thing. We get it going on YouTube and other sites and the entire region could clean up a bit.[/quote']How about free TOF shirts to all that participate??? That way we can wear them proudly while doing the clean up and promote the best fishing website in the world and let the people know that TOF members truly love our waters. Just some food for thought.

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes or take away anyone's thunder, but this is a project I wouldn't mind spearheading.It appears that we have several people that are already interested and the more we talk about it, I think the more people will get involved.I personally think doing this on a weekend would not only be beneficial to the people on this site, but would also put TOF's name out there during the busiest days out on the waters. Who knows, maybe we could also get some non-TOF members to help us out.Quick question - I normally fish the Dunedin area and luckily, this area isn't completely littered with trash, but there is still trash. I'm sure there are far worse places out there. In your opinion, which area needs the most work, while getting people's attention as we do this?PM me if anyone would like to further discuss over the phone and I'll give you my cell number.

If we can get some yaks together and clean up the spoil islands, that will really make a difference. There is a ton of monofiliment and braided line all over the mangroves and I always see dead birds hanging from it. The line is what causes the most damage, especially near Caladesi where all the birds live. There is also a nearby creek that is FILLED with garbage and line that could really use a clean up tooI'll volunteer to take a lot of pictures and write an article to put on the site if that is cool with the publishers.

I'm in. The hull of my Jackson cuda is currently full of trash from cockroach bay. It's impressive how much that thing holds and depressing on how I didn't even put a dent in it. Some people suck. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we can get some yaks together and clean up the spoil islands' date=' that will really make a difference. There is a ton of monofiliment and braided line all over the mangroves and I always see dead birds hanging from it. The line is what causes the most damage, especially near Caladesi where all the birds live. There is also a nearby creek that is FILLED with garbage and line that could really use a clean up tooI'll volunteer to take a lot of pictures and write an article to put on the site if that is cool with the publishers.[/quote']I like the idea of an amphib assault on the spoil islands, won't be as visible to the general public, but it sure would make a difference.Are you referring to Cedar Creek or Stevenson Creek? I can attest to how filled with garbage those places are.

Given how geographically diverse we are a divide and conquer approach may be best. I suggest we take pictures of before and after to build awareness. I regularly fish from the South Skyway area and The Kitchen in Gibsonton so I can work on those areas with anyone else willing to do so.

I'm in!! I have a 14' canoe that can hold tons of garbage and my yak. So the canoe could be used by someone that would like to join in or I could tow it as a garbage barge. Timmy- if you want to spearhead this thing then go for it! I think this is a smart idea moving forward for the site and mostly for the environment.I can supply garbage bags too, I use them daily for my lawn service 55gal size... My canoe could hold about ten full bags (if necessary) and towed with a cool yak with a trolling motor hint hint LOL (aka Timmy)

Given how geographically diverse we are a divide and conquer approach may be best. I suggest we take pictures of before and after to build awareness. I regularly fish the from the South Skyway area and The Kitchen in Gibsonton so I can work on those areas with anyone else willing to do so.

That sounds like the best way to do it right there. There are lots of us in all parts of the bay and by us organizing in our own local areas we can clean up the entire bay and make a big difference.

Are you referring to Cedar Creek or Stevenson Creek? I can attest to how filled with garbage those places are.

Stevensons. It's probably the most polluted creek I have seen in the bay area

Given how geographically diverse we are a divide and conquer approach may be best. I suggest we take pictures of before and after to build awareness. I regularly fish the from the South Skyway area and The Kitchen in Gibsonton so I can work on those areas with anyone else willing to do so.

I agree that a divide and conquer type approach may be best. I live in Apollo beach so I am familiar with the same waters. I would be in. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kayak was slap full of praid I pulled at least 100 yards out of the mangroves, and picked up countless publix bags and cups this weekend @ anclote. I'm not far from dunedin and fish the nmz a few times a month. I'm down name a weekend and as long as I'm not traveling I'm in.Its sickening how lazy people are in regards to littering. I've been in a few fights at anclote island and durney key after watching someone pitch a budlight bottle in the gulf. Look forward to lending a hand and helping out on this project.-Jesse

Ok, so it looks like a lot of people are interested. I know the best way to do this would do it by region, which would be awesome, but it also appears that a handful of people who responded are in the SJS area to Anclote area. I too like the idea of hitting up the different spoil islands and filling up our yaks/canoes as much as possible. And yeah Phil, Miss B.A.Y. should have no problem towing a canoe fill of garbage. :smiley-cool If it's cool with everybody who would like to participate, I would LOVE to clean up the spoils by the Dunedin Causeway. As Cody mentioned, these islands are littered with trash.Would this location be cool with everyone? Also, I'm thinking a weekend timeframe would be best for everyone, correct?If anyone wants to PM me to get my cell number, feel free to do so.