Sign in to follow this  
rkotinsky

Garbage Everywhere I Launch My Kayak

I'm thinking the weekend after Fourth of July.I have plans on Saturday, July 12th, so would y'all be able to do it on Sunday, the 13th? Or the following weekend, I am open on both days.Once we get this finalized, let's blast this on social media. I'm not the most tech-savvy guy, but I will put this on my FaceBook page to get anyone I can to help us with this clean-up.Thank you all so far for your efforts!

I think Saturday July 19th would be better only because it's a Saturday and then after we could all go to Frenchy's or Ozona Blue and dip in the pool and reward ourselves. I want to say about a month ago we went the the first island north of the Dunedin Causeway to just try something new and I was SHOCKED at what I saw. There was an air mattress and several blankets along with a hole dug in the ground full of soda cans and random trash that looked as if it was a camp site. I wish I had someone to call that had a boat that could just pull up and I could load it full of trash just to get that island clean! Timmy, why don't you reach out to our local captains and see if they could help, I know they are probably on charters....but maybe they can do half days and help with the loads....I'll talk to our fishing club and post it on our website.

Saturdays are good for me but surely not fourth of July weekend.

Thanks for getting back to me dude! Right now, I am leaning for July 19th. I'll keep y'all posted.

Moving this thread to the top so I can get this spoil island clean-up scheduled.Please let me know which dates work for you. Right now, we're leaning towards 7/19/14.

I'm good with any day' date=' as long as there's some kind of advanced warning. A week out, so I can inform the lady and make sure I don't procrastinate on school work.[/quote']Thanks dude!

lol I know it might seem like herding cats while you try to nail down a day that is agreeable to everyone.

"Herding Cats"!!!! LOL!!!!! :smiley-laug My brother uses that term all the time.Come on now people, who's interested in doing this spoil island clean up??? July 19th is our day so far, but I only have like three people said that day would work for them. Once we clean up this area, we can move on to the next. I don't want to see any more dirty, nasty syringes on our waters!!!!!

I think even just a few people will make a noticeable difference on the islands. Everybody who plans on going' date=' post on here if you are in!![/quote']Nice signature dude! :smiley-laug

I'm a single father' date=' plans may interrupt, but i'm in. I just may have a 4yr old sidekick who's concerned with swimming over trash lol.[/quote']Thanks man! Looks like we are all leaning towards July 19th. Once we get closer to the date, I will send out a thread regarding meet-up location, time, etc.Thanks to all who have replied so far, I do appreciate it!

Tim, I'm pretty sure it's clear I'm in for the 19th, but is that still tentative? I would like to pass the word on facebook and hopefully draw more people in (pretty sure someone else mentioned this as well). Phish depending on how my lady is feeling that day my four year old son may tag along as well!

Tim' date=' I'm pretty sure it's clear I'm in for the 19th, but is that still tentative? I would like to pass the word on facebook and hopefully draw more people in (pretty sure someone else mentioned this as well). Phish depending on how my lady is feeling that day my four year old son may tag along as well![/quote']Sounds good. I'm aiming to be solo but most likely won't be.

Tim' date=' I'm pretty sure it's clear I'm in for the 19th, but is that still tentative? I would like to pass the word on facebook and hopefully draw more people in (pretty sure someone else mentioned this as well). Phish depending on how my lady is feeling that day my four year old son may tag along as well![/quote']FishFood, yeah buddy, we've got several people on board for the 19th, so we're going to stick with that date.Next week, I was going to see about reaching out to the Moderators/Administrators at TOF to see if they can put something on the cover page of the website, as well as FaceBook. I plan on reaching out to some local Captains to see if they can help or maybe give some promotions away so in return, we can give them away at the clean-up. Thanks for all your help!

Tim' date=' I'm pretty sure it's clear I'm in for the 19th' date=' but is that still tentative? I would like to pass the word on facebook and hopefully draw more people in (pretty sure someone else mentioned this as well). Phish depending on how my lady is feeling that day my four year old son may tag along as well![/quote'']FishFood, yeah buddy, we've got several people on board for the 19th, so we're going to stick with that date.Next week, I was going to see about reaching out to the Moderators/Administrators at TOF to see if they can put something on the cover page of the website, as well as FaceBook. I plan on reaching out to some local Captains to see if they can help or maybe give some promotions away so in return, we can give them away at the clean-up. Thanks for all your help!
I think a TOF clean up arrangement would be great to get as a cover page on the site for the next two weeks . Since there are so many non member views we may just recruit some new members while cleaning. Giveaways are nice but surely not neccesary. I think the biggest factor is making sure the public sees/credits the website for our actions. And the more people in public places that see us cleaning is one more step towards "conservation" ultimately. I like to think the general amount of people hanging around will think twice about littering next time or maybe even help pick up a thing or two. If a clean up crew, full of volunteers, profiting absolutely nothing besides cleaner waters an new friendships, is right in their face cleaning, it may or may not help spread an influence. But, it's still worth a shot IMO.

I think I may be able to assist on the 19th, pending a family event that may or may not get rescheduled. I have a kayak (Ride 135 with a decent amount of space for trashbags, etc.) and a 14' canoe w/ a trolling motor. I can bring either one, or both.

I think I may be able to assist on the 19th' date=' pending a family event that may or may not get rescheduled. I have a kayak (Ride 135 with a decent amount of space for trashbags, etc.) and a 14' canoe w/ a trolling motor. I can bring either one, or both.[/quote']Hey Dale....the more the merrier my dude! So far, my vision is that we all meet up at the Dunedin Causeway and head north to some of the spoil island to clean them up. Most of us will be rocking yaks, but I am also going to try to reach out to other people as well, so we may have boats come along as well.I think Phil was going to bring his canoe as well. I planned on towing his canoe behind my yak - the canoe will basically be our garbage barge.Thanks for the response and expect a formal communication forthcoming.