Sign in to follow this  
icatcher22

Annual Keys trip (pics)

Every year my pops,mom, little brother, and myself head down to the Florida Keys in May for a relaxing fishing vacation. This year we stayed in an awesome place and location in Key Colony.1st - the winds were brutal all week. 15knts minimum and the last few days it blew 20-25 w/ 3-5's even before the reef.Anyway this ended up being one of our better fishing trips - besides being able to get out and target dolphin due to seas.Got my first ever bonefish. Pops got his as well. Caught 7 that day in back country of Big Pine Island. Biggest was around 5lbs.post-31072-14121222624026_thumb.jpgPut 7 tarpon in the air over about 4 tarpon trips. Never took pictures of fish but did get some cool fighting pictures.post-31072-14121222624297_thumb.jpgpost-31072-14121222624562_thumb.jpgpost-31072-14121222624781_thumb.jpgMy little brother caught the biggest bridge mango I have ever seen as a bi-catch of waiting for the tarpon bite to turn on.post-31072-14121222625042_thumb.jpgAnd then the last day we caught some big permit schooled up on a reef!!! Very cool. Got 4 to boat and left them eating.post-31072-14121222625306_thumb.jpgpost-31072-14121222625564_thumb.jpgAnother Keys trip down and already looking forward to the next time I am down there.

KCB is great. My family stays there as well. Got blown out last time though...gave it a shot trolling for pelagics in 4-6' seas but no joy.Nice job finding fish. You guys take your own boat down or did you charter?

Both. We bring our boat down every year but we also chartered for a few days for the first time this year Mostly target tarpon/reef type stuff on our boat this time and left navigating the back country for bones to the professional.Last year when we caught good weather we pushed the flats/bay boat into 1000ft. Had to get the trolling motor in last years dolphin pic :)post-31072-14121222626047_thumb.jpg

Nice. We took the 26 and 18 and rented a house in KCB that had enough sea wall to hold both. I think next time I'll charter an inshore / backwater guide so I can get a better handle on that area.

Nice. We took the 26 and 18 and rented a house in KCB that had enough sea wall to hold both. I think next time I'll charter an inshore / backwater guide so I can get a better handle on that area.

It is well worth it to grab a quide for backcountry fishin there. Not just knowledge of where the fish are, but the very important knowledge of getting to those areas without hitting bottom, which is so easily done all over there.

but the very important knowledge of getting to those areas without hitting bottom' date=' which is so easily done all over there.[/quote']Yeah...some of those coral heads look pretty spooky in that gin clear water. :ohmy:

Thanks guys.If anyone has any questions before you head down feel free to ask. By no means do I know the fishery great but starting to get a good base of knowledge over the past 4 years.I learned bait techniques from other forum guys a while back so more than happy to return the favor of what I know to make those few days more enjoyable.

Little suggestion, if you went zero for seven on tarpon it might be your hooks. Try the Mutu Octopus circle, Mustad Ultra-Point or Demon circle hooks,, they are not "True" circle hooks, but modified circle and work pretty well for me down here. I usually go two out of three using pinfish and crabs for bait, if using mullet,,,, well.... not so good. Those big baits cause a lot of misses on the first jump.

didnt go 0-7?100% hook-up rate when using crabs.using mullet is worth the fun of watching them blow them out of the water..bumped up to 10/0 when using mullet (10-12") and increased hookup ratio down there.leader touch, pop hook..revive..see ya later. maybe take a tarpon pic once a season..other than that no need to.