Sign in to follow this  
sunbked

OZ sight fishing 5/22/14

Had a dream of dancing fish in my sleep last night that woke me at 3:45, so what do you do? Sat up for 15 minuets before starting to load the truck., that part was easy. Where to go? Haven't been to OZ in a while so headed that way in search of Reds & Snook. Did not want to just catch them but sight cast to them, time to scout some new areas. Sook have proven hard for me to find in this area, they are there no doubt. .Started in by the rivers but got nadda, just a few small Mango's, time to make a major move. As I headed out into the gulf off in the distance was a few islands...ummm , they are standing alone from the rest of the islands. Good place to go scout the little voice said. Easy ride today with the east wind, also helping holding the tide back. Pull up to the first of three islands and start polling the Gheenoe. After a few minuets here comes a gravy train of mullet rounding the bend in what seems like an endless stream of fishes. Looking closerI see what appears to be a snook in the mix, could it be or are these old eyes just remembering last nights dream.Toss the glow DOA out in front of the shadow and let it sink, it's getting closer ....so twitch-twitch pause......Fish on, the undeniable head shake of the first linesider ....play it cool, she's non to happy. After 30 second as we close the gap between her and I it happens, quick release..%@*# !! Back to the drawing board.Pull up the stake and poll some more, well lookie here a Bronze beauty. Free lined a real shrimp out in front , took it a bit to find but that snout can smell a meal. The line goes tight and we are now joined together by a thread, what a way to brake in the new RTX. A short battle and photo op, bake it goes to fight another day.post-10813-14121222680006_thumb.jpgSweet, part one a accomplished. More polling around the bend only to find over slot reds.......what !!! Cast the DOA, they pass it up, toss a live shrimp, passed on that also, DOA paddle tail...nadda, what the hell? Followed these guy's for an hour tossing everything but the anchor with nothing to show for it but the wrinkles on my forehead. Okay, get back in the game, clear that empty space between the ears and fill it with visions of fish mobiles dancing above your head.A little more ground covered and spot a Bonnet Head, why not, that will make ya feel a little better right? Umm think again, want's nothing to do with a measly shrimp. That was a bit of a blow to the ego. Stop, grab a drink and regroup.Let's check the next island.Come around the front side there are two shadows just outside the grass line, looks like snook. Put the DOA glow back in the game, first toss is out away to far. Poll in closer and parallel the shore line, make the cast .....here comes one...it's inspecting ...twitch twitch...ahh damn, she turned away but wait, the other is on a mission and inhales the offering........sweetttttt!!! Let's see if we can better from the last battle....ahh nope, spits it right at the boat. Can not insert what was said next, am sure you can figure it out.After a few choice words back to polling. Off in the distance is a small pot hole which looks to be holding a few red's, can it be? Free line another shrimp and they all scatter, but wait......the line is moving...hot daym fish on !! post-10813-14121222680465_thumb.jpgOkay, two reds and no snook..not great but not bad. On the other side of this same island is a small school of over slot reds, same results...nadda. Wishing some cut bait was on the boat now. Give these guys a brake and try again later, lets hit that small island. Motor up, poll around not seeing any signs of life, then out of the shadows comes this fella for his 5 minuets of fame.post-10813-1412122268069_thumb.jpgBack to the starting point to get the elusive snook, just was not meant to be. Seen about ten of them, casted to 4 with two escapees. Not a very good record, but did end up with this one before heading to the ramp.post-10813-14121222680906_thumb.jpgBack at the ramp just pulled up a bunch of small Mangos with the rest of the shrimp, waste not I say.

Nice work bro!! It pays to explore new areas for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Nice reel! I love mine and haven't had any complaints at all.

Does your's have an "S" after th RTX? Am thinking this is a saltwater version?

On most Okuma spinning reels an "S" after the model usually means "high-speed".At least on my Helios" it is' date=' lol.[/quote']Yes my RTX has the s and it means high speed retrieve. Mine is on a live bait rod that I haven't used since last summer. It might be time to dust it off and go get some inshore snapper! :smiley-cool

On most Okuma spinning reels an "S" after the model usually means "high-speed".At least on my Helios" it is' date=' lol.[/quote']Yes my RTX has the s and it means high speed retrieve. Mine is on a live bait rod that I haven't used since last summer. It might be time to dust it off and go get some inshore snapper! :smiley-cool
Got the RTX -30 on sale for $64 at a big box store, loaded it with 8lb PP.Seems the smaller Mango's are all over the place up here. Next time will have to bring some of my mepps for them, think they'd love um.

btw I think you accidentally posted this on the freshwater part ;)

Yep, surely did. Getting old is great, you can get away with stuff like this and blame it on age :

Nice report man. We tried ozello last weekend. Caught a few under sized gags,some sea bass,trout, a mackerel offshore. Headed back inshore to hide from afternoon winds with only a small jack an snapper to show. We may have spooked one or two but just couldn't even see a redfish....it was a extremely low tide last weekend with those easterns rippin.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Great report Paul. :thumbsup: I've never fished in that area. I'll have to try it out some time.

It is a beautiful place if you have never been, be sure to go with someone that knows the area or be really careful. Land mines are all over that place.

Nice report man. We tried ozello last weekend. Caught a few under sized gags' date='some sea bass,trout, a mackerel offshore. Headed back inshore to hide from afternoon winds with only a small jack an snapper to show. We may have spooked one or two but just couldn't even see a redfish....it was a extremely low tide last weekend with those easterns rippin.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk[/quote']Seen your report, wish I could make that kind of run but my two vessels are for inshore.....well the yak has been offshore.