tdiaz

Shark bait

I was wondering where I can consistently catch shark bait like mullet ladyfish jacks mackeral and stingray and how I should rig for them and what kind of areas are best to catch lots most of the year

Any sort of break wall is good for most bait fish including mullet, stingrays and green backs. Green back that get eaten by jacks. When I was over that way I usually went to a break wall and netted cow nose rays. While I was soaking that off the beach I was casting for lady fish and macheral. The beaches are loaded with sharks right now but anna maria pass is a great spot to fish. If you are in a boat then around bridges is good. On the deep cuts on big flats is good on an outgoing tide.

shark bait is pretty easy to come by. You already know what sharks like to eat, so thats good. Mullet can be purchased live or frozen from bait shops. You can also get a castnet and get your own, but throwing a castnet takes practice. During fall mullet run they are much easier to obtain at night around lights where they school. I've heard of people catching them with hook and line, but I've never personally witnessed this. Castnet or baitshop will be your best options for MulletLadyfish are one of those fish that are easier to see at night. Look for splashes in the water near lights. Just throw a live shrimp out there where they are busting on the water surface. When you hook a ladyfish you'll know, they will zip left to right and make several jumps out of the water as they shake their heads. 7 times out of 10 they will spit the hook while they leap out of the water. Ladyfish also love to chase lures, just keep the lure moving and make it look like an injured baitfish. You don't want to muscle them in as they have soft mouths that tear easy during the fight. So just keep good tension on the line, let them do their dance and when they're tired you can usually bring them in.Jacks are great shark bait but can be hard to obtain when you want it. Usually I'll catch one accidently and just throw it in the freezer whole. Jacks swim in schools so when you catch one, you'll probably get another. Live shrimp works, but I found live finger mullet fished on the bottom works even better. I don't catch very many Jacks at night, so this is a daytime fish. I've never used stingray or mackeral for shark bait either so I can't help ya on those. I will say that my two favorite shark baits are ladyfish and jack. Good luck to you man

Thanks for the help and by break wall is that like a seawall? Also is Ana Maria pass bean point? If so what tide would I fish and what would I expect to catch

On 5/29/2014 at 1:52 AM, andrew benak said:

Any sort of break wall is good for most bait fish including mullet, stingrays and green backs. Green back that get eaten by jacks. When I was over that way I usually went to a break wall and netted cow nose rays. While I was soaking that off the beach I was casting for lady fish and macheral. The beaches are loaded with sharks right now but anna maria pass is a great spot to fish. If you are in a boat then around bridges is good. On the deep cuts on big flats is good on an outgoing tide.

Thanks a lot!