Sign in to follow this  
tna674

Amberjack cooking...

Our neighbors just got back from the Keys and brought us about 5-7 lbs fillets and said to smoke them ... Not that we don't have the time to smoke them but I would rather try something 'easier' for the first time of eating it since I have never tried them before...And Ideas??

It is good smoked and made into a dip! I have also had some AJ that was breaded' date=' fried, and served with a raspberry jalapeno dipping sauce which was amazing!![/quote']Ron, at what temp and how many hours do we need to smoke them?Thanks dude.

I would do apple! And it will take more time to get the smoker smokin good than it would to cook the fish... Depending on the smoker hot spots, I would say about 150 and maybe 15-20 mins... That's my smoker so yours may be more or less.. I smoke a lot of stuff and every smoker is a bit different but just check it often and you should be good to goBut even a pan sear would be nice! Or done like Ron said for sure!

Thanks guys!!!We just bought a grill with a small smoker attached and Tim has been wanting SOOOOO BADDD to smoke something, and now it just seems as if the Fishing G_ds are telling us it's time.

I was kidding about pine! That would be gross. You do not need to buy smoke chips just pick up some dead twigs/branches under any oak tree. And If you are smoking it for fish spread, I would let it go for at least an hour

I was kidding about pine! That would be gross. You do not need to by smoke chips just pick up some dead twigs/branches under any oak tree. And If you are smoking it for fish spread' date=' I would let it go for at least an hour[/quote']LOL Beef you always come up with the funny! Yeah like I said each smoker is different... So times may vary depending on how hot the fire is, where you have the fish located in the grill (hot spots), etc... Also I always let my smoker get primed for about an hour before I put food on it.. I want that temp to be steady and smoke stack chuggin nicely. Wait til that oak or whatever you use has a white ash on it, and you will know that's the time to get that food on the grillHere's minepost-17124-14121222740462_thumb.jpg

Phil, How did you know which one we had!!!! I just called and Lowe's has the apple wood chucks so we will definitely try it out ... now just finding the recipe on Pinterest and then I have planned dinner for a few days :)

Phil' date=' How did you know which one we had!!!! I just called and Lowe's has the apple wood chucks so we will definitely try it out ... now just finding the recipe on Pinterest and then I have planned dinner for a few days :)[/quote']Did u guys get the same grill I have in the pic??? If so, it's the best smoker I've owned hands down! And I got mine at lowes LOL it's my second one of the same model in the past 7 years (I donated my first one to a friend)

When smoking fish you want to go low and slow. 125 to 150 max temp, and for god sake don't use pine! Oak or citrus wood is a good local choice. Smoke the fish until white and flaky all the way thru. If you cook it too hot or too long It will turn into jerky, Depending on the size a thickness of the fillets you may be looking at 3 to 6 hours.

Amberjack can be very good without actually smoking it. My favorite way to eat amberjack starts with the fillet, cut any and all red off the filet, then cut the fillet in half long ways. You will be left with two " tenderloins" (top and bottom of the fillet). I cut the tenderloin into 6-8" sections, season with salt, pepper, garlic, and some type of Cajun seasoning, my favorite is everglades seasoning. Wrap a pic of bacon around it and place on the grill. They IMO, taste much like a pork chop when cooked in this matter.

I just saw this. First, how can there be members that do not have good Karma readings??? This is very bad and will be remedied.Second, try soaking an AJ - or any oily fish like Mackerel or Kingfish or Wahoo or Tuna - in ginger ale and a little white wine. More ginger ale. You can use Seven-Up too.It pulls the oil out and changes the molecular structure of the meat. It changes them into something different than they are pre-seven-up. Try it and you will flip out. Also ALWAYS make twin filets - one on each side. That lets you remove the blood line on the spine. Cut outside the line - do not cut close. And remove it before you soak the fish.Also ice them instantly and gut them. Screw NMFS. They're freaken AJs for God's good sake.Did I say that I didn't really tell you to clean fish offshore? The Drones are watching :)

If you are smoking fish for spread you want the oil for flavor. The oil adds flavor. Gary is right about gutting and icing right away and getting that blood line out. Smoke them low and slow. AJ are killer for the spread!

Agree with Scuba,they do taste similar to pork.Clean bloodline,cut into chunks,fry all sides and mix into yellow rice with peas and pimentos. :smiley-cool