Sign in to follow this  
phisherman813

Registering a boat with no title?

So I've done a little Google research an from what I've read it seems a boat with no numbers or title is a "problem" boat and cannot be registered in the state of Florida? I'd love to hear I'm wrong about this. I know someone with an older 14' tri hull skiff I could get basically free that would be a nice little side project. I figured someone has to know from experience on the forums?

It can be done - but its a pain in the ass from what I understand. 14' Tri hull would be awesome for you Josh. If the boat is "basically free" and you like it - it would probably be worth it to jump through the necessary hoops to get er done. I can't detail the process for you but I know it can be done.

:S We had this problem with a jetski we bought. We ended up giving it to a friend in Tennessee so they could title it and they sold it back to us for the price of their registration. Different states have different rules.

Let us know what they say when you go. I have a friend that has a canoe that his dad gave him like 15 years ago and he was given a motor for it and only keeps it in the skinny waters now but I would love for him to be able to come to an island with us and fish but its just to risky being out in the open. When we got our kayak from Bill Jackson's and then purchased a motor for it, I maybe went to the DMV 3 or 4 times because they were always saying I didn't have the right information.I ended up having to call the manufacturer and getting a "birth certificate" for the kayak with the serial numbers included on the certificate. Then going to Bill Jackson's having them write a letter on their letterhead saying they sold us that specific kayak with the serial numbers included with the receipt to show we paid the taxes on it and then ending up getting the title for it and basically every category was considered Other Vessel ....

Well it seems it's not going to come easily but it is possible to get this boat registered. Step one is applying for a certificate of title through the dmv. Step two is submitting the vessel statement of builder form and all building material receipts....for sales tax purposes later. Third step is having a certificate of inspection approved from the FWC. So again, not impossible, just have to go through a huge run around with the law an county offices. Not sure if this will progress but I will keep you posted.

Which is why you never ever pay good $ for a boat unless the seller has a clean title to transfer. But in the case of a free or almost free boat - it may be worth the time and efforts it takes to finally get it registered.

Good luck Josh. I hope you get it all sorted out in short order.I went through the same sort of thing in Georgia back in 1998. I had bought an American car while I was in Germany the first time. The title on the car had not been transferred correctly by the guy I bought the car from so when I brought it back to the States I had to get a title bond and title search done. It took several months to get a new title for the car.

Just spoke with an FWC officer. He directed me to the Coast guards website which has a build a boat guidelines link that details what has to be done to pass an inspection. With the idea of what i'd be building being fairly simple it may be worth it in the long run. Apparently as long as the build meets CG's guidelines an is water ready by an FWC officers inspection an certified, the title/registration process can be carried out as normal.

Who ever you spoke to at the DMV gave you misleading information.I have been through this.Building a boat and RE- Building a boat are two entirely different things.If you get wrapped up into an FWC inspection you may end up with a big can of worms.I got very lucky.If you want some advice give me a call. Leave your number if I don't answer I am on charters this week. Steve813-727-8843

Who ever you spoke to at the DMV gave you misleading information.I have been through this.Building a boat and RE- Building a boat are two entirely different things.If you get wrapped up into an FWC inspection you may end up with a big can of worms.I got very lucky.If you want some advice give me a call. Leave your number if I don't answer I am on charters this week. Steve813-727-8843

Thanks capt......will do.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk