Sign in to follow this  
rickfromerie

Tarpon fishing in key west

the tarpon are in thick all around key west I have only hooked up on one and missed a second in the kayak and both times have been a blast one on a top water plug the excitement of seeing a large tarpon explode on my plug but did not have big enough hooks on it and today a nice 80 plus slow trolling a live blue crab fought for near 10 min before I forgot I needed to bow to the silver king I still got to see 5 or so nice jumps before he shook the hook cant wait to try my luck again on Tuesday

Nice....I got two jumps outta a huge poon last week by boat an put a four footer in the air by kayak Friday morning. I've hooked four in my life....hopefully this summer I'll get to touch one an get a picture. Is that so much to ask for lol.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Nice....I got two jumps outta a huge poon last week by boat an put a four footer in the air by kayak Friday morning. I've hooked four in my life....hopefully this summer I'll get to touch one an get a picture. Is that so much to ask for lol.Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Josh, since then I have not gotten those tarpon out of my mind. It's very contagious :worthy:

I have landed 2 both by boat I just got my yak in march and landing a tarpon is tops on my list I so thought I had this one today after five or more nice jumps and some long runs I figured he was a good hook set but they can still find a way to throw those hookspost-90314-14121222784607_thumb.jpg

Have you bought trash fish from the shrimpers? It is like tarpon crack in Key West. Just sitting near that hole near the military base dropping trash fish back is always a good way to hook into one. Only problem is all the boat traffic and it might not be safe on a kayak.

Josh' date=' since then I have not gotten those tarpon out of my mind. It's very contagious :worthy:[/quote']Dude, you won't be able to get them off your mind. Now's the time to get on them too.