Sign in to follow this  
phil030

SJS 6-8-14

Another beautiful but hot day on the water!Met up with Adam (Amailiez) and his wife and kid to do some fishing and finally bringing my gf with on her new sup! She was a little nervous at first, but did really well all day long. The tides really sucked yesterday and we decided to work the slow outgoing at a few hot spots I have for reds and snook.We got on the flat and saw that the water was a bit murky, but started stalking reds. I headed up to an area I've had great results lately and as I poled up I spooked about 20 reds! I knew they were there and kept quiet and waited to see some start coming back. I saw a nice swirl near the tip of the oyster bar ledge and made a cast, the 3x shrimp got hammered! The fish screamed along the grove line and I was able to turn him away and now it was game on. After a few killer runs I said to Adam, "I promise this ain't no TV drag" haha I had it tightened down pretty hard and finally got the fish to the yak.Helluva fight for this strong bull to be! Measured 30 1/4"post-17124-14121222785524_thumb.jpgpost-17124-14121222785257_thumb.jpgWe continued to work that area pretty hard and Adam got a great strike as well, pulled some good drag and sadly came unbuttoned. I hooked into another real good red as well, came unbuttoned too. UghWe poled our way to the snook spot and decided to chill out on a sandbar and get off the yaks and boards and stretch our legs and have a bite to eat. My gf was loving it and kept saying how "pretty it is out here" and it sure was! Here is a pic of her tooling around...post-17124-1412122278577_thumb.jpgAdams son was hilarious running around on this exposed sandbar "saving hermit crabs, cuz they didn't have enough water!!!!" LOL His wife was on an all day hunt for sharks and we saw a bunch of solid black tips and I spotted a BIG shark cruising along the drop off and it swam right under her and she said it was at least an 8' nurse!! Awesome sight for sure! We moved on up to the snook area and fairly quickly spotted quite a few lunkers, but none would eat.Decided to head back towards the reds and now the tide was bottomed out and we actually struggled to pole through the turtle grass.. My gf hates getting her feet in "that mucky stuff" haha so I had her jump in my yak while I walked her sup to where it would float. Anyways we got back to the area where I got the one earlier and it was now dirt! So off the flat we headed and sure enough here are the tails! One after the other!! All upper and over slots. The wind was blowin pretty good from the west and made accurate casting a little bit of a task... More like throwin a curve ball... We had some really good shots but no takers. By this time we had covered a lot of area and we all decided to call it a day and go grab some dinner! As always a great time with you Adam (and family), your son is a machine! He got a nice keeper flounder to take home for dinner, and I'm really glad my gf really enjoyed the trip as well!! Sorry the tide sucked but at least we saw tons of quality fish! :thumbsup:

Nice report Phil. Your Sunday was better than our Saturday - we were out nice and early, but throwing artis wasn't someone's cup of tea. We still had a great day though. Got to see some poons up in some skinny water - the area were you and I first fished together. We have no pics of fish to show, but still had a great day!

Nice report Phil. Your Sunday was better than our Saturday - we were out nice and early' date=' but throwing artis wasn't someone's cup of tea. We still had a great day though. Got to see some poons up in some skinny water - the area were you and I first fished together. We have no pics of fish to show, but still had a great day![/quote']Man I'm really sorry I had to cancel last minute with you guys! But my truck brakes had to sadly come first... Throwin artis is not everyone's cup of tea and when a "live or cut" type of fisherman doesn't get the results they expect it can be a little frustrating. But, there is NO doubt live/cut will out catch arti most any day. So just keep her happy with that rod bent! We will meet up again real soon!

I don't have patience for artis but I tried a new top water that he got me and I just can't get the motions that are needed..... I like jigheads and gulp ... that way the stupid pin fish can't steal my bait and I can actually catch something ... maybe a Monster 3X will do the trick (hint hint) :)My arm started hurting from walking the dog and I ended up giving up and just enjoying the calm FLAT water and watching nature ... I sometimes wish that I could be a bird and just fly over and scoop down to catch some keepers...Sooner than later we will have to meet up...and I don't like tea so you two need to come up with another metaphor ;)

I don't have patience for artis but I tried a new top water that he got me and I just can't get the motions that are needed..... I like jigheads and gulp ... that way the stupid pin fish can't steal my bait and I can actually catch something ... maybe a Monster 3X will do the trick (hint hint) :)My arm started hurting from walking the dog and I ended up giving up and just enjoying the calm FLAT water and watching nature ... I sometimes wish that I could be a bird and just fly over and scoop down to catch some keepers...Sooner than later we will have to meet up...and I don't like tea so you two need to come up with another metaphor ;)

LMAO! Yeah Amanda we will meet up real soon again! Don't give up on artis, they do work very well for sure! But I understand your frustration too! Cuz casting out and reeling in is way easier than "working" a lure. Just tell Timmy to throw a cast net out and grab you up some white bait and show him up! LOL jk! We saw thousands of threadfins yesterday under the bridge in the shadow line! One better ... Next time we meet up I will bring my net (you guys bring the bucket/aerator), and I will get you all the baits you need! I bet you can get him slingin bait after that LOL

My arm started hurting from walking the dog and I ended up giving up and just enjoying the calm FLAT water and watching nature ...

Try a spoon... ;)
She loves throwing spoons, but unfortunately, wasn't really feeling the artificials that day. Amanda wound up just relaxing in the kayak - chair reclined and feet up on the cooler in front of her. :thumbsup: