Sign in to follow this  
gusdabus

FISHING ETIQUETTE

I feel like there needs to be a book written about this. Why not? Every other sport or hobby has "unwritten rules." I'm a boat owner but I also fish from land and I also fish with friends on their boats. If they do something that is not right I let them know discreetly. I'm a very easy going person and I have never brought the things that irk me to the attention of the person or persons that have no manners. Sometimes it's other anglers, boaters or other idiots! What are some things that piss you off that other anglers or non anglers do? I'll list a few:1. I fish quite a bit at Howard Park . I have been the only person there fishing and some scum bag comes and throws a cast net 5 ft away from me, Inside I want to throw the guy over the bridge!!!!2. I distance myself from other anglers even if they are in a better spot. I had a guy yesterday that was quite a bit away from me. He then gets closer and crosses my line. 3. Jet Skis4.I was fishing from land at Sunset beach in Tarpon. This guy on a boat gets close to me and says "there are two snook laying up under the mangroves next to you" then he guns his bout right next to me.I kind of felt like he thought he was better than me because he had a boat. Not knowing that i do have a boat and I would neve do that to anyone.Sorry just woke up and felt like venting.

I hear ya load and clear. But Common Sense is not all that common and people are rude nasty and mean. I work in public service and have so my whole life, same as almost everyone in my family. I had a patient ask me "Do I think people are inherently good?"My answer was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY NO HOW! That answer floored this person. My guess is they just woke up from a 50 year nap because apparently this person does not watch the news or read the paper. I think it is much easier to be a low life dirt bag with no ethics or morals and could care less about the next living creature then to be a good honest person. It is hard and takes a large amount of patients to be a good friend, brother, son, father, wife daughter etc. Just look a the few examples you gave I mean really if those people would stop for 1 sec and think but no doesn't happen.But that is way there are things called Top Water Lures and beer.

AIRBOATS!!!!! During late fall and the winter, I fish a lot of back waters where there are air boats. You can feel and hear them from about a mile away. Although, I can't really blame them. They're just in the back country like I am, having fun. Normally, once they see me, the slow it down, but it does take a while for the bite to get back on.JET SKIERS!!!!! Hauling a$$ on a flat, doing like 50mph, where it's a NMZ area! I can't stand that.

Gus I feel your pain. There's a lot of jerks out there. Heck, I've been on some boats that've even almost ran some kayakers over. I was really pissed.Yeah Jet skis can go _____ themselves. In hernando county I've had problems with swimmers and spearfisherlosers. We'll be posted on a rock but they have the need to dive right below us and try to steal some fish.Few weeks ago we were doing the chumming thing for hopefully cobia. I was reeling in a 3 foot sharpnose (usual) and out of nowhere there was a 6-7 foot tiger shark that thought it looked tasty. Anyways we saw two different tiger sharks around the boat. about an hour later this boat pulls up, within 20 feet of us because they want to go swimming. We're in a rock pile 6 miles off land, why!?!??! The guy was convinced there's never sharks there. I was really hoping the tiger would make a reappearance. What a bunch of a holes.

How about the guy running his engine next to you while you're trying to catch bait? I believe in Karma!! The guy that crossed my line got skunked and I was pulling in snapper and grouper!!

1. I'm WADEFISHING in the ICW, up comes an idiot in his boat and stops maybe 50' away, clunking around with his anchor, drops it overboard and lets the chain rattle off his bow roller.2. Guys with, what I call, "Phallic 30's"..you know...fat, bald, big boat, HUGE engine, throwing all kinds of wake, know only 1 speed....FLAT OUT...and, with the requisite bikini-clad screaming bimbo (my apologies to the bikini-clad women who ride with boaters who DON'T throw wake and ARE considerate of we waders), running up/down the ICW...more money than brains and hope their 'Boating Equipment" makes up for other "short-comings", hence the moniker "Phallic 30"...3. People who drive up in their boats, make 2-3 casts, then ROAR off to another spot...

How about people on boats anchoring up and fishing beaches and other spots you can get to by foot? Leave the beaches for the non-boat owners.....I mean you bought a boat to get off the beach in the first place, right? :huh:

How about people on boats anchoring up and fishing beaches and other spots you can get to by foot? Leave the beaches for the non-boat owners.....I mean you bought a boat to get off the beach in the first place' date=' right? :huh:[/quote']Funny how that works - when you're on land, you try to cast as far as possible, and when you're in a boat, you try to cast as close as possible to "land".

Fishing Etiquette?! Pretty much a thing of the past I believe. Fishing near the mouth of LCRB one day recently and I was the only one out there. Not a soul in sight. Guy in a big bayish boat comes roaring up the flat, which is supposed to be a slow zone, and he rolls past me about 50 yards away going into LCRB at high speed. I hear him speeding back in there and he comes right back out and he kills his motor 20 yards away from me. He asks me if I am catching anything. I reply no, but should have said not anymore. He said he was looking to catch some trout. Like I am going to tell him exactly where to go to catch some after he blew my doors off. I proceeded to tell him that this whole area out to those poles way out there is a slow zone and that he was not supposed to speed in this area. He says that he got lost. Like that is an excuse for disregarding the signs and going WOT in a slow zone. What a moron! He asks where the LMR was and I point down the flat. He slowly moves down the flat. Unfortunately, there seems to be a total disregard for others out on the water and like Sideshow said, it is only going to get worse. I am surprised there hasn't been some sort of shooting out on the water. It is only a matter of time before something tragic like that happens.

While talking about etiquette, I need some opinions of an incident from a few days ago. Showed up at a spot where a couple of guys were fishing. Fine, went about 50 yds. down shoreline and commenced casting. One of the other guys shows up and says I cut them off. They were there first. I laughed it off. But know I'm wondering. Was I wrong?

I agree with both Andy and Dave, Terry. I wade all the time and run into the same situation frequently. They were probably slowly wading down towards your location. Well, you're not a mind reader and there are lots of other ways for them to avoid you. Happens to me all the time and you just accept it and go on fishing.

That is what this thread is powpig. It is a venting thread. Fifty yards away is kind of tight to me. If they are on a drift down a flat and you jumped ahead of them by just 50 yards' date=' then yes, you did cut them off.[/quote']Yeah...if you jumped their drift they were probably peeved...especially if they were push poling or trolling quietly.Its tough out there sometimes...people can't claim hundreds of yards of shore line, but you also need to respect their path if its obvious.

That is what this thread is powpig. It is a venting thread. Fifty yards away is kind of tight to me. If they are on a drift down a flat and you jumped ahead of them by just 50 yards' date=' then yes, you did cut them off.[/quote']Ditto

I know you are venting. The guilty parties won't EVER read this. Preachin' to the choir

Anybody here watch "Flats Class" on WFN?In a couple of recent episodes, the host C.A. has singled out and filmed individuals doing stupid things like this. In one episode, he had poled to a position off the shore south of the skyway and some moron motors up to them within 20 yards.He then went on a polite but pointed rant about people who are oblivious to everything around them and are only interested in their own gratification.Glad to see him calling people out.

I saw that episode.Poling an 18' boat like his Marquesa is NOT easy with wind and current. Its not a tech poling skiff. When you spend 30-45 minutes poling to a location and have someone roll up on it, it just sucks...period.

That episode has been playing all weekend and I have seen it a couple of times. The guy in that boat that came up on CA was a lot farther away than 20 yards. The guy should have used his trolling motor to come up to that area rather than motoring in. Both motors probably spooked the fish that were on that flat. It was hard to tell exactly how far away he was from CA and the question is how close is too close to get to another boat. Is 100 yards away too close? 200? i guess it depends on the angler being encroached upon.

Even trolling up close to a guy who is push poling is a googan move. I have a trolling motor and a push pole on my boat. I rarely troll in less that 2' of water if I'm looking for fish. It makes too much noise IMHO.