Sign in to follow this  
FlatsFishing813

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Hey folks...I'm considering picking up a NuCanoe Frontier 12 to roam the flats but haven't been able to get out and demo one yet on the water....does anyone on here have experience with it and if so, what are your thoughts? My goal is to do some real solid, stand up fishing from it and considering it's 41" wide, it looks promising!

Let me know how your demo goes. I am tossed up between purchasing a Nucanoe, or just going down the gheenoe route. Still up in the air. The only negitive thing I have heard about the Nucanoe is that it is a little tough to paddle. But thats a sacrifice you make for stability and having something as wide as the Nucanoe. I have actually seen some videos of people putting small 2 hp outboards on them.

Let me know how your demo goes. I am tossed up between purchasing a Nucanoe' date=' or just going down the gheenoe route. Still up in the air. The only negitive thing I have heard about the Nucanoe is that it is a little tough to paddle. But thats a sacrifice you make for stability and having something as wide as the Nucanoe. I have actually seen some videos of people putting small 2 hp outboards on them.[/quote']Absolutely! After I demo it, I'll definitely share my experiences with it...I think I've seen of those same videos you did and their stability looks CRAZY! I've even seen some videos of kids doing gymnastics in it and people doing handstands! To address the slow paddling issue, I think I too would go ahead and put some small outboard on it, or a trolling motor. I'll let you guys know! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Let me know how your demo goes. I am tossed up between purchasing a Nucanoe' date=' or just going down the gheenoe route. Still up in the air. The only negitive thing I have heard about the Nucanoe is that it is a little tough to paddle. But thats a sacrifice you make for stability and having something as wide as the Nucanoe. I have actually seen some videos of people putting small 2 hp outboards on them.[/quote']Absolutely! After I demo it' date=' I'll definitely share my experiences with it...I think I've seen of those same videos you did and their stability looks CRAZY! I've even seen some videos of kids doing gymnastics in it and people doing handstands! To address the slow paddling issue, I think I too would go ahead and put some small outboard on it, or a trolling motor. I'll let you guys know! Thanks for the feedback guys![/quote']I have a Jackson Big Tuna and I paired it with a Torqeedo 403 Ultra Light - a total hands-free trolling motor. With my gf and I in the yak, totally loaded down with gear, we can go at a top speed of about 5.5 mph. Just cruising around, we usually chill at 2.5mph and can go that speed for about 18 miles. The trolling motor and battery weigh a total of 15#. I am very satisfied with this motor.If you are interested in going this route, check out Bob Hamilton at B&C PowerYaks. He will definitely take care of you!

Chris.....Sorry I've never had the pleasure of meeting you but did see you at a West Marine seminar (CA Richardson, I believe). I remember that you had a child with you (again, sorry, can't remember if it was a boy or girl. lol). If you plan on taking him/her out with you, the Nu-Canoe's two seats might make a difference in your decision. Start 'em young! :)

Hi Redfisher...I'm new to this forum...I've been fishhing out of a Yak for the past 5 years and with it only being 29.5" wide, gets a little tippy when I try to stand up in it. I want something I can stand up in and sight fish. Heard about the Nucanoe Frontier 12. I took one for a demo ride (cost $50) and liked it but was not sold on it, due to the price. One decked out with trolling motor was around $2400. I was willing to buy one and was close to doing that in March, but read a lot of articles in the Nucanoe Forum and there were/are several articles in there from current or former Nucanoe owners on how tippy they are/can be. I'm trying to get away from tippy fishing platforms, but want to stay skinny. With that said, I'm probably going to buy a Gheenoe in the coming weeks. Got a demo ride set up. If that goes well, I'll buy it. I'll let you know how it goes. Glad I read those articles, as I was ready to buy a Nucanoe.