Sign in to follow this  
dgatorgrad

SJS 6/21

Got out with my oldest son again in our kayaks for some quality father-son fishing time. We put in at Crystal Beach at sunrise, and headed out to our first spot. My son was fishing with the Love's Lure (two grub rig) and I was trying out the Strike Masters white/bone minnow. The Love's Lure was money in this spot two weeks ago, but it today wasn't its day. My Strike Masters bone minnow was hot. I quickly landed two undersized trout and a sea bass. When we paddled back to our starting point (after drifting a while), I re-rigged my son's pole with my setup. He too started landing trout, and quickly caught the fever he was missing after his first 20 or so casts. I will say this about The Strike Masters soft plastic lures - they are very stretchy and durable. After 6 hours of fishing, we had caught a bunch (trout, sea bass, lizard fish, and three snagged pinfish) and had one trout in the cooler. We should of had two trout in the cooler, but I totally goofed! I landed a second keeper trout, and as I turned and tossed it in the cooler, the fish hit the ice, gave one quick flick of his tail, and jumped out of the cooler and back in the water :pinch: I felt bad, my son was already claiming that fish as his lunch as I had already caught one for me. Needless to say, we'll be sharing the one we brought home. Next time I'll reposition myself better in the kayak and make sure that doesn't happen again.All in all, it was a gorgeous day, I spent quality time with my son, and we were kept busy catching the ~20 fish we landed. Hope the rest of you had or have good luck this weekend!

I always love hearing people taking out their kids, my mom used to take me to the pier but we never caught much. Good for you and your son to spend the first day of summer soaking up the sun and kayak catching fish. You always learn something when you go out fishing, like re-positioning the cooler...that stinks that he jumped out but there are going to be many more opportunities to bring some home.Thanks for your report! Happy Summer!

it was a gorgeous day' date=' I spent quality time with my son, and we were kept busy catching the ~20 fish we landed.[/quote']That's what its all about right there. Thanks for sharing the story of your day with us. I love that area out towards the spoils straight out from Crystal Beach. There are just tons and tons of nice potholes in some areas around out there. On some days you can catch 50 or more fish out there on those deep flats. There are so many trout out there its ridiculous. Most are 12-15" but its still pretty fun when the bite is on good out there and you are catching a fish with most casts. Try trailing a live pinfish behind your drift while you are fishing deep SJS flats. Lots of 1-4' sharks out there and such variety that you never know what you might catch. I remember Love Lures. Its been forever since I used them but they always used to seem to catch trout well.