Sign in to follow this  
rickfromerie

largest shark you have encountered on you kayak

I went out kayak fishing on my stealth 14 for tarpon in key west hooked up and went on a 45 minute ride of my life then things got scary when mr. 14 ft hammer head decided to show up when I saw the dorsal fin of the shark chasing my tarpon I had to put full drag on and break him off but the shark got him shortly after the wind was pushing me towards all of this and the current was heading towards me lucky for me some guy saw how close we were and had to get in between us so I could get away before the man in the boat showed up if I put my paddle in the water the shark would turn and head straight for me he seemed to forget that he had a big tarpon floating on the water and was more interested in the kayak the man in the boat caught up to me down a ways and brought the tarpon to me so I could get a pic of it and that's when I found out that it was a 14 plus ft hammer head the guy a key west local said he had never seen a shark of that size in so close to shore said the head was all of 4 foot wide what is the largest shark you have encountered on your kayakpost-90314-14121222915322_thumb.jpg

Man....That's truly a TERRIFYING story! The largest shark I've seen is about a 6' nurse shark which came to me because I had some trout hanging off a stringer which drew him right to me....that experience alone almost made me give up kayak fishing altogether...this one you had, was way worse!

That's crazy, have to respect the waters, never know what will show up. Smart thinking on the boater side of things.Nice catch also, just stinks the way things turned out but man it makes for one hell of a story.

I'm glad you made it out of there safely. That's some very impressive footage you managed to get though. I have very little interest in chasing Tarpon in my kayak due to sharks and other very serious safety hazards...

One day I was fishing in a pass with a small chumbag hanging off the side of my kayak. I had a ton of small sharks and spanish mackerel around me. Then out of nowhere comes this massive hammerhead, probably 13-14 ft and it's swimming straight at my kayak. It grabs the chumbag and with a turn of it's head the line snapped. If I would had rope or something stronger tied on to it the shark would have easily flipped my kayak.

One day I was fishing in a pass with a small chumbag hanging off the side of my kayak. I had a ton of small sharks and spanish mackerel around me. Then out of nowhere comes this massive hammerhead' date=' probably 13-14 ft and it's swimming straight at my kayak. It grabs the chumbag and with a turn of it's head the line snapped. If I would had rope or something stronger tied on to it the shark would have easily flipped my kayak.[/quote']Still hang a chum bag?

Yeah if I'm fishing for mackerel. Easier to bring them to you instead of paddling around chasing the schools. I only use 20# leader to tie it to my yak so if a shark does grab it, it breaks off easy

On a kayak it was probably a small bonnethead I saw.Though today on my stepdad's jon boat he saw another tiger shark within hands reach of the boat. It was really cloudy and bumpy outside so I didn't get to see it. That's the 5th one for us in about a month.

I had a 6' blacktip chasing trout within 4' of my kayak once out on the FHP flats. Moved on an he showed up minutes later. I like a chum bag as well when time calls for it. The light leader tip is good advice Cody. Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Tarpon fishing off IRB two weeks ago (Father's day) Hooked into about a 9 ft. Hammer. After about a 30 minute fight, I got him within 10 feet of the me, he turned, came straight at my yak and bumped it. Could have grabbed his dorsal if I wanted to. Needless to say, I cut the leader immediately and called it a day.That changed my mind about going alone for tarpon. A fresh pair of undergarments were in order after that event! :ohmy:Also landed about a 10 ft nurse that day...post-12442-14121222918132_thumb.jpg

When I first got my kayak I liked to go fish Ft Desoto. I caught a few decent reds, a few were hooked deep and bled pretty good in my kayak. Fast forward a few hrs later I was sitting in my kayak relaxing eating my lunch and notice something creating a ripple on the surface of the water about 150yrds away from me heading my direction. It was flat calm that day. The water was like glass. I watched this thing coming towards me thinking this thing was going too fast to be a sting ray.. The closer it got to me the bigger the ripple got, going to a small wave coming off this fishes back. Then I see the dorsal fin break the surface of the water. At this point it was maybe 30yrds from me and closing FAST. The water coming off its back had to be close to 1' at this point. I am not kidding, I almost passed out it freaked me out soo bad. Ive never felt a sensation like that in my life. This thing was coming straight at me like a torpedo broad side. I started pedaling and turned hard right all the while with my eyes on this beast coming at me. When the shark saw me turn it changed course slightly and dipped back down beneath the surface of the water. My heart was pounding as I pedaled directly back to shore. When I got to shore I was shaking. Ive never been so glad to be on dry land. I could not believe what I had just saw. After I calmed down a bit I couldn't wait to call my buddies and tell them what just happened. Kick ass!! :)

I've had some BIG blacktips charge my yak a few times with teeth showing! They are fun but respect is necessary. I still try to catch them all the time on fly!! I've been really close a few times to get one to eat my fly! And these were 5'ers!!! I would be so stoked to catch one on fly.

Approx 10 years ago I was fishing off of Pass DGrill beach, I was fishing for Spanish Macks and small sharks in the 3 1/2 ft to 4 ft range just had a .4 penny reel, and I had not been fishing from a kayak very long at the time. Anyways my big reel started singing and I knew I had a shark on. It did not take long before I realize this was bigger then I expected and I had to ditch my anchor and deploy my sea chute while being pulled down the beach line, I was approx 300 years from the beach at the time. I fought the shark for a good 2 hours and luckily he only went down the beac and out just a little ways the back to where we started. When I finally seen the shark, I almost had a heart attack and fear started to sit in. It was the biggest hammerhead that I have ever seen. It was at least 2 ft bigger or more then my kayak which is 12 ft 9". After seeing the shark I cut the line and it took off. After that I went and found my anchor and left the water.. I did not think something like that would be that close to the beach and since then I have seen one othe shark in that area that was bigger then the hammerhead but do not know what it was but could tell it was not a hammerhead.