Sign in to follow this  
flyingrooster

trolling motor: bow mount vs. stern w/mount?

Looking at TM options, it seems the stern mount motors are FAR cheaper. Here is my question. Would it be worthwhile to get a stern mount motor and mount it to the bow using a birdsall, or any tide mount? I really like the idea of saving the deck space with using the birdsall/anytide mount to put it on the bow vs. An actual bow mount motor. However I worry about the motor coming loose or off if I have to run in a chop. What are your opinions? Save a few hundred and get a stern mount motor with the mount to make it work on the bow, or spend the money and get the actual bow mount package?

What size/kind of boat do you have? I would go with the actual bow mount package. If possible go with a 24 volt system with at least 80# of thrust. You will be happy with it when you are fighting the wind and current, especially if 2 or more people are in your boat. You want to make sure the shaft is long enough to operate effectively and the ones made for the bow are usually a lot longer. Shaft length is important when trolling in chop. I would opt for a tm that does not have the 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. The variable speed is the way to go. Also, I believe you will void the warranty on a stern drive MK trolling motor if you turn the head around and mount it on the front, but I may be wrong. Lots to consider, but a good tm is really important.

Bow mount all the way. Stern mounted TM's are very difficult to control the boat and on that little skiff would make the transom area, poling platform, trim tab area, and the space needed for engine turning to its maximum a complete cluster... It is a bit more expensive, but I would do a bow mount that can be removed easily so if you wanted to throw fly it's not in your way. An 80 would be awesome, but you could get away with a bit less than that.

I have a 14' tri-hull and have a 55# 12 volt Minn-Kota mounted on my stern. I would not have it any other way unless I was going to spend the big bucks for a remote control, gps enabled trolling motor. My 55 pushes my boat along great, and it is always in reach near my seat. My main motor is a tiller drive, so I have all my controls right beside me. It sure beats trying to drive the 4 stroke from the back and the troller from the front. Besides - the front is my wife's seat! . . . women drivers ya know - Hahaha

You have a smaller skiff, so I would go with that birdsall mount on the bow. You can always just buy a stern mount TM and remove the screw holding on the head and rotate 180 degrees. I have done this with my TM and it works great. I think a folding bow mount TM would take up so much space on your deck and add a lot of weight.

Phil's right-a cluster with all of that in the back. Am buying a MK 55 variable speed for my 16' Shadowcast.Also getting the smaller bow mount (quick release bracket). Wife is going to have to learn to fish from the back! My only concern is will the push pole fit on the deck and under this bracket.

Bass assassin' date=' I think 80lbs of thrust would put my tiny IPB 14' skiff (now called skimmer skiffs) on plane. I'm working with a tiny ultra light boat[/quote']All you need is a 12v motor in the 40# range. Also strongly suggest getting one designed for bow mounting. Go with a quick release mount so you can clean things up for fly fishing.You might also check out The Hull Truth message board. Lots of good feedback on boating questions there. Many, many threads dedicated to trolling motor mounting and battery placement.

Well yea with a light 14' boat, an 80# tm is overkill. A 55# thrust would be your best bet. I had a 55# on my 12' jon and loved it. A 40#er would be ok in calmer conditions, but with wind, current and another person in the boat, you will be thankful for that extra 15#s. It also helps maximize your fishing time when going from spot to spot with the tm. Some of the 55#s also have the technology that makes the battery last longer during the day. I would definitely mount it up front. It will help with the weight distribution too. The boat is much easier to control when mounted up front also. That RT55 is sweet Ron.

I would go with a Group 27 jb. The Group 29 is a big mofo. The 27 is right in the middle and should be a good compromise. Just depends on how much you use the tm. You don't want it dying on you out there on the water. I have been very satisfied with Wal-Mart brand deep cycle marine batteries. I bought a MK 3 bank charger on Amazon and absolutely love it. Just plug it in when you get back from fishing and you are done with it. Here is the same model 2 bank charger. It charges pretty quickly and is usually fully charged the next day if I want to go fishing. Great reviews, a 3 year warranty and a bargain at $129 with free shipping.http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-On-Board-Battery-Charger-Banks/dp/B0042T4GIW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1403538381&sr=1-3&keywords=minn+kota+battery+chargers

I would agree with BA...go with the group 27 battery if you have somewhere to put it.I have a pair of 24s and a pair of 27s on my boat.I originally installed the 27s for the trolling motor. But I recently swapped them over to engine/house because I wanted the cold cranking amps for the old 2 stroke 115. With the 24s on the trolling motor I can tell there is a slight drop in power. I think the increased output on the larger 27s made a difference. I'm still testing to see if the 24s run down quicker. The 27s would run all day.One thing noone has mentioned yet is the breaker. Absolutely install the MinnKota breaker.

One other thing I did recently was to buy a surge protector for the on board charger to plug in to. Maybe I was being ridiculous, but one day thunder and lightning were popping all around my house. I was thinking if my house gets hit, then my charger could get fried. I have an oak tree in the back that did get struck one time so I was just being cautious I guess.

The anytide mounts are only $60-$80. I have a similar setup on the gheenoe. I'd say definitely go with the stern/transom motor, you save $300-$400 easy and they're gonna do the same thing, one will just take up way less space.On that note I've resorted to taking mine off when running through any kind of chop, they sink really fast (speaking from experience) lol.