Sign in to follow this  
Tim

Early Morning Sunrise and a Couple of Snook

I was up early and out on the water on Saturday, 6/21/14, to try and get into some fish before the crowds came out and to also watch a beautiful sunrise. I was on the water by 6AM and to my spot by 6:30. Two boats were already there, but for this spot, that isn't bad, especially on a weekend. I asked one of the boats if I fished a particular spot, just wanted to ensure I wouldn't be in their way. They didn't mind, so I parked the yak and walked to where I saw a lot of mullet activity. I wasn't there for more than 2 minutes before my bait gets nailed and line is coming off my reel. I click the bail over and fish awn.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!! I brought in about a 29" - 30" Snook. Not gonna lie, I felt like a bad a$$ - just pulled up, asked these guys if I could fish a particular spot, and nail a nice Snook. My yak wasn't close by, so I didn't get a pic - I took the hook out, gave the 'ol Snook a kiss on the lips, and gently released her back in the water. Sweet!!!!The area started to get some other boaters out there and I wanted to move. I went over by my kayak and looked up. Hey, that guy with the grey Salt Life hat and Predator kayak looks familiar - it was Phil. Phil and Adam came out there. I have read many of Adam's posts and it was glad to finally meet him - really cool dude. We chit chatted for awhile and went back to fishing. We were all standing up, paddling our yaks, and spotting Snook left and right. Adam and I both said to Phil, "dude, a few Snook coming your way right now". Phil saw them, made a cast, and hooked up right away - great job on spot casting the Snook. I'll let Phil tell that story as I don't want to steal his thunder.We all fished for a little bit longer and by this time, it is packed out there, but the Snook aren't getting that spooked, which was surprising. Phil is across from me and Adam down current from me at one point. I feel my bait get real nervous and then nothing after that. I see a nice-sized Snook swim right by me and then I noticed all this slack in my line. Oh $#@*!!!!! I start reeling all my slack in and then my line gets tight.......fish awn again!!!! It was cool because both Phil and Adam where there to see me fight and land this fish and they were all cheering me on. Phil came over and took a nice photo for me. I fished for a little bit longer, but to be honest, by 1PM, there must've been 40 yakkers and a dozen plus boats in the area. Too much traffic for me - I did what I intended to do and that was catch a couple of Snook and catch a sunrise. Meeting up with Phil and meeting another TOF'er (Adam) just made the day that much better.post-88750-1412122291966_thumb.jpgpost-88750-14121222919908_thumb.jpg

Nice work bro! I saw the photo and heard the story on Saturday. Sounds like you had more luck than them. Great snook and photo btw!

Thanks Ron! So, did Phil tell you about the boat that troller motored in right next to Adam??? Literally, right next to Adam as he is throwing fly. Adam could've extended his arm out to shake this googan's hand. Some people, but again, this area gets packed.

Nice report Timmy! That was Alex not Adam with me.... LOLAnyways, always good seein you out there! The snooks have been thick for sure but getting them to eat everytime is a lot to ask with all the pressure there. Sadly my sight casted snook came unbuttoned after a few good hard runs, spit the hook and saw my leader was frayed badly for about 1 1/2' up the leader. Would have been luck to land her anyways. What size leader were you using that day? I have found that they are pretty leader shy lately and have had to step down to 25lb, but it becomes sketchy at times with those big girls. Got one on 20lb the other day, but the leader was trashed hard so I didn't feel like riskin it again...

And YES that $&@"@&$&@" was unbelievable as he tried maneuver his boat through all of us PLUS the guide with all his clients ON fish! He was easily within 2' of Alex's yak!! Googan is a very nice word in my book! LOL

Nice report Timmy! That was Alex not Adam with me.... LOLAnyways' date=' always good seein you out there! The snooks have been thick for sure but getting them to eat everytime is a lot to ask with all the pressure there. Sadly my sight casted snook came unbuttoned after a few good hard runs, spit the hook and saw my leader was frayed badly for about 1 1/2' up the leader. Would have been luck to land her anyways. What size leader were you using that day? I have found that they are pretty leader shy lately and have had to step down to 25lb, but it becomes sketchy at times with those big girls. Got one on 20lb the other day, but the leader was trashed hard so I didn't feel like riskin it again...[/quote']Shoot!!!! Sorry......Alex.This time of year, when I target those big girls up on the beach, I'm using 30# Phil. If I feel that they're too leader shy, I'll step it down to 20#, but so far, all the ones I have caught have been on 30#. I also use about a 5' length of leader, which I am sure some people may disagree with me, but when you hook up a few times and land a few of those big girls, you know better than anyone that your leader gets frayed. After I caught that one that you took a pic of, I checked my leader and about 8" of it was frayed. I just cut my fray off and re-tied my hook.If all goes well, I'll be out there again this weekend to watch the sunrise..........and hopefully catch a fish or two.

Thanks for the report. I need to bring the kayak out to that area soon. I too am just fine with getting out before sunup, catching a few fish an seeing sunrise an getting outta there if it's not worth it. Great snook!

That's exactly what I do' date=' long leaders are convenient[/quote']I've heard a few people say to use as much leader according to the size of the fish you are targeting. For my Trout rod, I use about 30" worth of leader. For my Snook rod, again, a nice 5' section, so when it starts to get frayed, just cut the fray off and put your hook back on.

I've been using about a 4' leader for these beach snook and has been money for me. I got a nice 31" the other day on about a foot of leader, but the water was a bit dirtier than has been. Yesterday was the first time I came up empty, but did have one nail my lure hard but spit immediately. When you see the live bait guys chuckin perfect grunts and getting no strikes I didn't feel too bad LOL. I was watchin their baits getting fully ignored by the snook Timmy let me know what mornings u are heading out and I'll either be there already or launch with ya

I've been using about a 4' leader for these beach snook and has been money for me. I got a nice 31" the other day on about a foot of leader' date=' but the water was a bit dirtier than has been. Yesterday was the first time I came up empty, but did have one nail my lure hard but spit immediately. When you see the live bait guys chuckin perfect grunts and getting no strikes I didn't feel too bad LOL. I was watchin their baits getting fully ignored by the snook Timmy let me know what mornings u are heading out and I'll either be there already or launch with ya[/quote']You got it Phil. Next time, I think Ms. Amanda is coming with me. She wants to get on some more Snook. It's not like she has to twist my arm or anything. :smiley-laug

2' away from someone's yak? Man that's a good way to get boarded.

IF it was more than two feet I would be shocked! Alex has the cool of a cat, but I had to speak up... The dork said..."there's no other way to get through here" we all laughed at him and I said "did you happen to notice the enitre open ICW?" He said "I said I'm sorry pal".... LOL he wasn't even trying to get to the area we were at, he went about half a mile south which the Caladesi channel would have taken him to easily and at full speed! Whatever, props to Alex for keeping his cool, I would have absolutely made an "oops" back cast with the fly rod!It has gotten really bad here locally in the past 2-3 years with that sort of crap

Nice snook Tim. Great report. I thought about coming out Saturday but had a feeling it was just going to be a zoo out there. Your report confirmed my suspicion. The snook are for sure hanging out there - but even on a weekday there will be 10 or more people fishing the area these days. Me and Alex are supposed to fish next Saturday - so I guess we better get out there early if we want a shot at the snook there before too many Googans show up. I like the word Googans by the way. Its fitting without being mean. Implies a high level of "don't know - don't care - unaware" that as much as 5-10% of the entire boating population seems to display towards people fishing. Seems like Ken or Chris was who I 1st heard it from.

Seems like Ken or Chris was who I 1st heard it from.

Been trying to get Ken to stop calling me a googan for awhile now...that's where I heard it first. :lol:
Take the source for what it's worth, but this is from the Urban Dictionary:Googan A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules. Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

Seems like Ken or Chris was who I 1st heard it from.
Been trying to get Ken to stop calling me a googan for awhile now...that's where I heard it first. :lol:
Take the source for what it's worth' date=' but this is from the Urban Dictionary:Googan A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife' date=' shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules. Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.[/quote'']-------------------------------------------------------------------As long as I've known him, Capt Dave Pomerleau has always called the land and bridge fishers who are idiots - "squidders" - which I always thought was a good one. So I think of "squidders" by land and "Googans" by sea - LOL

Twist your arm?? LMAO that's an understatement! I will be catching more hopefully. I'm not satisfied with the 31" that I got a couple weekends ago...it's go big or go home right???Phil, I definitely wanna go fishing this weekend but maybe picnic a little so your girlfriend and I can get some color for the season :)

And YES that $&@"@&$&@" was unbelievable as he tried maneuver his boat through all of us PLUS the guide with all his clients ON fish! He was easily within 2' of Alex's yak!! Googan is a very nice word in my book! LOL

Awesome fish, was glad to see you get her! Yeah, I coul've high fived him but I would've rather hit him. I had several people do that on tuesday when I was there too. I won't be going there for awhile, there are plenty of snook at other places. And phil, I used 30 leader on tues and got 3 snook strikes on monster 3x, all big snook too. I use ohero 30 leader and it's pretty good stuff. I wouldn't go higher than 25 on fly though.