Sign in to follow this  
cmac2573

Jackson big tuna kayak question.

Hey y'all. Has anybody had any experience with the Jackson Bug Tuna kayak. This will be my first kayak and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for me. In leaning towards the big tuna because I can go the tandem route when the wife or my nephew wants to go I have that option. Or if go by my lonesome, I can switch to the solo position. I'm also interested in the live well option because my wife is a live bait kind of lady. It would be mainly for fishing the Bay Area and occasionally the hillsborough river. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey y'all. Has anybody had any experience with the Jackson Bug Tuna kayak. This will be my first kayak and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for me. In leaning towards the big tuna because I can go the tandem route when the wife or my nephew wants to go I have that option. Or if go by my lonesome' date=' I can switch to the solo position. I'm also interested in the live well option because my wife is a live bait kind of lady. It would be mainly for fishing the Bay Area and occasionally the hillsborough river. Any thoughts would be appreciated.[/quote']I have a Big Tuna and it is a great kayak for what I need. There are a few reasons that I bought this kayak after several months of researching yaks: 1) my girlfriend can come fishing with me and we are not cramped in the least. The first time we actually went out, she was sitting/laying way up front, had her seat facing me and she actually fell asleep on the kayak while I was fishing. 2) If the gf doesn't want to come with me, I can just move the seat up to the solo position. 3) The seats and the different positions you can put them in are amazing. Plus, my gf loves the fact that the seats serve as beach chairs. 4) This kayak is extremely stable. I love to sight fish and just love to fish standing up. There have been a few instances where I have sighted fish for my gf and told her to make a cast, while we were both standing up. 5) The live-well option is amazing. Basically, you just take the plastic compartment and drill about 4 dozen holes in it - the holes don't have to be huge or anything, but big enough where you can have fresh water and oxygen flowing through it all day. Then, all you do is push that compartment down into the water to get it full. You don't have to worry about plumbing lines or electrical lines. During the wintertime, I have kept several dozen shrimp alive all day long in the live-well.Are you buying the yak from Bill Jackson's??? One recommendation I have is to go ahead and purchase the rudder kit for it. If you purchase it, Bill Jackson's will install it for free. Also, have you "test drove" the kayak???Let me know if you have any more questions. I live in the Palm Harbor area and usually take my yak out in St. Joseph Sound. If you ever wanna go for a test drive, let me know.

Thanks for the info. Yes I will be purchasing it from bill Jackson's in pinellas. I'm thinking about getting the yak attack version. It's only 100 more and seems to come with more accessories for your buck. Haven't test drove one yet. I just discovered the big tuna this week and have been doing research on them. I'm thinking about purchasing it in September. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely give it a test drive in the pond behind Bill Jacksons - also, test it out with your wife in the yak too. I did this with my girlfriend and as soon as we were floating in the water, I stood up. My girlfriend started talking to me, telling me how relaxing the kayak was and she didn't even realize I was standing up.If you wanna test drive it out in the ICW to see what it's like with a chop and tidal movement, let me know.Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.