fordee9r

Neil Taylor Kayak Fishing Skool

I see that Bill Jackson's is hosting Neil Taylor's Kayak Fishing Skool on Thursday, July 24th. Just wondering if anyone has attended any of his past Skools or are planning on attending this one. I have that day off & plan on making it down there to help quench my thirst for knowledge.

I'll give you a quick rundown and save you some time: -There are no Snook left in Tampa Bay so DO NOT fish for them-You will only catch fish on lures that pay for advertisement on my site-No matter how legal do not keep any fish-Taking a picture of a fish out of the water will give it depression for the rest of its life so that is a no no - Live bait fisherman are idiots- Do not help anyone ever because if you do you might give out one of my spotsThere ya go. I'd just go fishing instead, or mow my lawn, or just about anything else.

I'll give you a quick rundown and save you some time: -There are no Snook left in Tampa Bay so DO NOT fish for them-You will only catch fish on lures that pay for advertisement on my site-No matter how legal do not keep any fish-Taking a picture of a fish out of the water will give it depression for the rest of its life so that is a no no - Live bait fisherman are idiots- Do not help anyone ever because if you do you might give out one of my spotsThere ya go. I'd just go fishing instead' date=' or mow my lawn, or just about anything else.[/quote'] :smiley-laug Hammer meet nail.

I have bit my tongue long enough on this subject. Seeing the way he talks to people just pisses me off. He is worse than a Jehovah Witness about pressing his views onto other people. It's his way or the highway and he single handily destroyed Mels site. Why do we see so many of the old names here? I have zero respect for him whatsoever. He insist Snook are extinct and belittles anyone who fishes for them. Just because he might not know how to catch them does not mean they are not there. His tournament really is a joke. You have to stay in his county and you can only use lures that donate to his site or pays for ad's..... what a joke. Oh, you can't use a net either. I don't know if he should be a guide or a marine activist for PETA.

I'll give you a quick rundown and save you some time: -There are no Snook left in Tampa Bay so DO NOT fish for them-You will only catch fish on lures that pay for advertisement on my site-No matter how legal do not keep any fish-Taking a picture of a fish out of the water will give it depression for the rest of its life so that is a no no - Live bait fisherman are idiots- Do not help anyone ever because if you do you might give out one of my There ya go. I'd just go fishing instead' date=' or mow my lawn, or just about anything else.[/quote']Wow a lot of pent up anger here.I've posted here for a little bit and have fished with some of you...so you know that I call them as I see them. And I'm an old fart. Lol1. He was the first person I kayak fished with. Put me on reds and trout my first trip. Kept the 26" red and 3 trout from 17" to 19".2. Yes he uses lures. Yes he is sponsors by certain companies. But most guides promote their sponsors. I've seen him talk about using live shrimp and green backs.3. Yes, he is Very opinionated. And yes, he tends to fall on the side of conservation. If his opinion is different from yours, so what?4. I have fished with other guilds and they have all strongly "supported" their sponsors. Look at it as a tv commercial. 5. His classes are free. His information on technic is solid.6. He was a professional baseball umpire for years. It shows.7. The captain Mel fishing turnie is for amateurs. It is a lure ONLY turnie. And yes it is restricted to Hillsborough and Pinellas County waters. So what? He promotes those county's fisheries. Merodein (ms) is one of the turnie sponsors. Local Florida company with about a hundred lures to choose from. Everyone fishes with the same products...who can do it the best?.? Looks like an even field to me. There is also a fly division.8. Did I say he was opinionated? :unsure: 9. He will spend all the time you need to answer your questions.10. I'm not sure what you meant by you can't "net" either during a turnie.11. He has strong opinions. Oh I said that. :smiley-shoc 12. I've seen a number of people on this site give pros and cons on sharing EXACT locations of fishing spots on public forums. I've seen a lot of people now say UTB or South Shore or ICW. Just saying...13 do I agree with all of his opinions, no. But I respect them as I do your opinions.14 he will spend all day with kids..has donated trips to make a wish and children's organizations.15. And yes, he has strong opinions on just about everything. I find that trait in a lot of guys :) South shore, your post seemed to have some really strong opinions. JMO

I'll give you a quick rundown and save you some time: -There are no Snook left in Tampa Bay so DO NOT fish for them-You will only catch fish on lures that pay for advertisement on my site-No matter how legal do not keep any fish-Taking a picture of a fish out of the water will give it depression for the rest of its life so that is a no no - Live bait fisherman are idiots- Do not help anyone ever because if you do you might give out one of my There ya go. I'd just go fishing instead' date=' or mow my lawn' date=' or just about anything else.[/quote'']Wow a lot of pent up anger here.I've posted here for a little bit and have fished with some of you...so you know that I call them as I see them. And I'm an old fart. Lol1. He was the first person I kayak fished with. Put me on reds and trout my first trip. Kept the 26" red and 3 trout from 17" to 19".2. Yes he uses lures. Yes he is sponsors by certain companies. But most guides promote their sponsors. I've seen him talk about using live shrimp and green backs.3. Yes, he is Very opinionated. And yes, he tends to fall on the side of conservation. If his opinion is different from yours, so what?4. I have fished with other guilds and they have all strongly "supported" their sponsors. Look at it as a tv commercial. 5. His classes are free. His information on technic is solid.6. He was a professional baseball umpire for years. It shows.7. The captain Mel fishing turnie is for amateurs. It is a lure ONLY turnie. And yes it is restricted to Hillsborough and Pinellas County waters. So what? He promotes those county's fisheries. Merodein (ms) is one of the turnie sponsors. Local Florida company with about a hundred lures to choose from. Everyone fishes with the same products...who can do it the best?.? Looks like an even field to me. There is also a fly division.8. Did I say he was opinionated? :unsure: 9. He will spend all the time you need to answer your questions.10. I'm not sure what you meant by you can't "net" either during a turnie.11. He has strong opinions. Oh I said that. :smiley-shoc 12. I've seen a number of people on this site give pros and cons on sharing EXACT locations of fishing spots on public forums. I've seen a lot of people now say UTB or South Shore or ICW. Just saying...13 do I agree with all of his opinions, no. But I respect them as I do your opinions.14 he will spend all day with kids..has donated trips to make a wish and children's organizations.15. And yes, he has strong opinions on just about everything. I find that trait in a lot of guys :) South shore, your post seemed to have some really strong opinions. JMO
Point #13: That is my biggest issue. While like now it seems we disagree you have provided a solid debate with no anger or snarky comments. I think debates are good for anything and keeps things interesting. But most of his replies to opposing views are flat out disrespectful ( just look at some of his Snook debate replies ). I value different opinions including yours and follow the golden rule. Since IMO he shows little respect to other people ( who do not agree with him ) he shall get none for me. I fully understand it is an AM tournament and arti only but don't see why you can only use " his " lures but that is just my opinion. He prohibits the use of landing nets is what my net comment was about.

I would hate to see this thread turn into some sort of disagreeable postfest. My opinion is to read Pam's post, read it again, and then read it again. She hit the nail on the head.BTW, I do know Neil personally as well as some of the CM posters. No reason to hate on anyone.

I never met the man.His reports show up on the Tampa Bay Times sports section sometimes and its good stuff but even then you can sense his opinionated way.The Cap Mel forums used to be a great vault of knowledge. Reports used to be pretty common there and it used to be a better place. It was more busy than this site but more basic looking but you can't blame them since its a very old website.I'll just say this, websites don't die down on traffic for no reason. If you posted anything about how you caught a big snook and you did it intentionally then you'd get the post deleted and stuff. I think it's gotten a tad better than that.It's a shame, even some regulars on that forum acknowledge how its slow its become especially report wise

I am definitely with SSS on this one. When I first started inshore fishing or bass fishing in Florida for that matter, I would often post reports on Captain Mel. IMO, the reports I posted on his site were some of the best and most informative of any ever posted on that site. Over time, the criticism started. I was being too detailed and giving away too much information, including fishing spots. Apparently this rubbed the CM "committee" the wrong way and they outlawed revealing fishing locations. I was outraged, but understand their reason now. The way it was done rubbed me the wrong way however. The problem with the site is that Neil sticks up for his fishing buddies even when they are clearly in the wrong and starting senseless arguments on the site. One poster asked fairly recently why there are so few reports posted on the CM site, which is a very legitimate question. I believe he knew the answer, but wanted to see what the responses were. His post was finally deleted by the administrators. The reason imo is that anyone who posts on there is subject to an incredible amount of scrutiny and possible admonishment. I posted a report one time where I said that I had used a net to land the fish. I was questioned about that on the site. I posted a picture of a 29" snook I caught in the Anclote River. It was lying on a measuring board. The picture was removed from the post because of improper fish handling.One time a guy, Mr. Jingles (I'll never forget that ahole), who is Neil's buddy, accused a guy of improper fish handling. The guy took a picture of a snook lying in the surf since he was by himself. He said the snook was in danger of sand in the gills from backwash. I came to this guy's defense and said he did nothing wrong. It started a heated discussion. Finally Neil posted that he thinks the guy did his best to handle the fish properly. I asked why he couldn't have said something sooner and tell MJ to stop posting comments like that. He said MJ had been on here a long time and had "credibility". What does that have to do with anything? So see, he sticks up for his fishing buddies and old cronies that have been on the site for a long time. He does not put those buddies in check when they need to be. It is the old boy network. It became evident to me that newbies are not wanted there. It has become so bad there lately that even Neil has resorted to posting reports. He never did that as long as I was on the site.CM is a toxic environment. There were too many trolls on there looking to start arguments and call you out on the littlest thing...using a net, improper fish handling, giving out a fishing location. These trolls were some of Neil's fishing buddies unfortunately. Have you ever heard the back-story of how Neil took over the Captain Mel site after Mel died? It is pretty despicable. However, Neil's taking over CM does have a happy ending. It resulted in Gary starting this site, which is clearly so much better than CM and every member on this site should be thankful for.

Hummm. Are you all doing the very thing that you said you disliked about the other site? The question asked was about Neil's Class. Very few of us responded to that question. Instead this post has turned into, at best a high school slam book, at worst, a lynching. :fishing02: You all have some of the most creative and informative posts I've ever read. The photos are great and The videos are second to none. I have been so impressed with this site and have recommended it to everyone I fish with. You all have made me feel so welcome. And I thank you.I joined because Phil told me it was different. "Everybody was very supportive and positive. Even when they disagreed with each other".Until this post. And yes, I would defend any of you if you were called out...too. Those of you who have met me, know this to be true.Beware, it is so easy to slip into the dark side. :smiley-sw: Ok, I'm off my soap box.

Hummm. Are you all doing every thing that you said you disliked about the other site? I joined this site because Phil told me it was great and everyone was very supportive. Phil...you've got some explaining to do.

Are we Pam? "Everything"? I I am telling you honestly about my experience with Neil and his site. Take it for what it is worth. What exactly does Phil have to explain? It is a great site and is very supportive. Do you believe Phil lied to you? I see that you are on CM Pam and if Neil is your buddy then fine. However, this is a forum where people discuss things. Tony has an opinion. I have an opinion. You have an opinion. It is unfortunate that this thread morphed from the original poster's question, but I am not going to let Tony sit out here by himself and be looked upon as a bad guy. There are others on this site who left CM and came here because of Neil.

Ladyluck who isn't suppotive on this site?Just because we disagree with you isn't being bashing you.On the other hand go post this site or say Gary Poysick on your friends site and I guarantee you will be banned instantly.But since he is your friend you will do the opposite here ?I personally hate the man.When I was new to the scene he banned me on my first post. I introduced myself and talked about where I catch fish.Well since I gave out locations I was instant banned by him. Funny thing is I gave out area's not exact spots.Met him in person before that and when I asked what area's to target Pomp's he told me to figure it out..As for a guide... Well he technically is a kayack guide because that way you don't need a license or insurance. Nice loop hole.Then to really put fire fuel on a fire. I have a motorcycle friend who likes Neil. His name is Neil too. At the outdoor expo he kept trying to but into my talking with my friend to get him away from me. Really dude. I don't care if my friends hang out with you. Why does he have to be insecure about his friends talking to me ?SO yes I hate the man and wish him nothing , but bad luck , But I will not badmouth anyone who hangs out with him.Ladyluck you seem to really like him and I'm fine with that. It does not bother me at all , but please don't put down this site because we don't agree with you.If this site was anything like the other site this thread would be gone and you would have been banned. Don't believe me then please post this site or the name Gary Poysick and see what happens.One of my favorite things that happened from Neil is I found this site because I wasn't allowed on the other site. So for once I will say Thank you Neil :)

Thank you Sideshow and Bassin Assassin for your input.All I'm saying is a question was asked about his CLASS, not him.I have not said that I ether agree or disagree with your opinion of Neil. And what part of what I said do you disagree with? Yes I do post on other sites and yes I have agreed and strongly, publicly disagreed on other sites as well."But since he is your friend you will do the opposite here"? I'm not sure what you mean by this Side Show.I agree this site is great and Have said so. I do not believe in doing or saying something because some one else would do it.." Just bring up Gary's name.."It does not matter if I consider him a friend or not. As I said earlier...I would defend either of you and/or Gary, if this was on any site I visited. AND I have not accused anyone of being a bad guy. Please do not make assumptions about me nor put words in my mouth.Again, I'm sorry I posted. I just want to fish, enjoy reports and not read someone blasting any particular person.. No matter who it is.Please accept my apology if I have upset anyone, in any way. Last post on this topic by me.. Tight lines! Would love to fish with you both. Let's find some time. I'll bring the beer.

There are some seriously knowledeable offshore and tarpon guys on CM. And I have had some really good PM discussions over there with folks who are more than willing to answer questions and offer advice. The inshore discussion there is a bit stifled by the restrictions on "spots". But then people have been putting less and less detail in inshore reports here on TFO as the water has gotten more crowded. In fact, some people have stopped posting reports here (or anywhere) entirely. I'm on four major boards...its a trend across all of them. Its not a CM Thing or a TOF Thing. Its an Inshore Pressure Thing. I also know guys who spit when I say I post on this site. They're not fans of the Fishy Maps or Gary's willingness to pimp out as much detail as possible in a quest for page hits. At the end of the day all you can do is understand the culture and goal of each forum or website. If you can't abide by the local guidelines, don't spend time there.

Thanks, "Ladyluck", for pointing out that I started this post showing my interest in Neil Taylor's skool on kayak fishing & curious if any forum members planned on attending. When I saw Mr. Southshore's reply, I thought it was an amateur's attempt at humor. I don't know or have ever met this guy but, apparently, some of you have. I resent the fact that my post, intending to learn more about kayak fishing, was hijacked & turned into a debate over one member's character. If you people want to discuss his character traits, start your own thread on that matter! In the mean time, I'd appreciate it if we could return to my original post & leave all other BS out!

Thank you Sideshow and Bassin Assassin for your input.All I'm saying is a question was asked about his CLASS' date=' not him.I have not said that I ether agree or disagree with your opinion of Neil. And what part of what I said do you disagree with? Yes I do post on other sites and yes I have agreed and strongly, publicly disagreed on other sites as well."But since he is your friend you will do the opposite here"? I'm not sure what you mean by this Side Show.I agree this site is great and Have said so. I do not believe in doing or saying something because some one else would do it.." Just bring up Gary's name.."It does not matter if I consider him a friend or not. As I said earlier...I would defend either of you and/or Gary, if this was on any site I visited. AND I have not accused anyone of being a bad guy. Please do not make assumptions about me nor put words in my mouth.Again, I'm sorry I posted. I just want to fish, enjoy reports and not read someone blasting any particular person.. No matter who it is.Please accept my apology if I have upset anyone, in any way. Last post on this topic by me.. Tight lines! Would love to fish with you both. Let's find some time. I'll bring the beer.[/quote']Come on Pam! I did not say that you are accusing Tony of being a bad guy. I made no assumptions or put any words in your mouth. It is unfortunate that you took that personally. That comment was for anyone reading this thread who thought Tony was way of base with his comments and think he is the only one with a disparaging opinion of Neil. Our dealings with Neil and CM were very unpleasant. I found him to be a tyrannical, dictatorial and hypocritical person who showed favoritism to his buddies at the expense of others who contributed significantly more to the site than his "friends" did. I felt that he let his friends ruin the site, start senseless arguments and run off good people that made positive contributions. These are my opinions. Obviously, there is still a lot of pent-up hostility from myself and other members of this site with regards to NT/CM and the way we were treated. I am not a big fan of the fishy maps either Chris, but I was thinking about it and they are pretty general areas that most fishermen know about. Some of these areas may only be good during certain times of year. There is indeed a lot more pressure on the inshore fish, especially in my area, so that is why I am not giving out as much specifics anymore. What sites are you on Chris?

I do not visit CapMel.com anymore. Not because I chose to but because I was banned. Why? Some guy posted pictures of a slam his young daughter caught. About an hour later Neil Taylor deletes the pictures from the report because the fish were held ''vertical''. These fish were all less than 18'' so I highly doubt any damage was done. Plus it was a little kid who caught some fish, a good thing right? Nope, not to Neil or the other pricks that run that site. I was just voicing MY opinion and told Neil he was wrong when I was banned. I really hope I see him on the water one day so I can hold a fish vertical right in his face.However, he still knows a ton about kayak fishing and will definitely help you catch more fish in Tampa Bay. If you are just getting started kayak fishing I definitely recommend one of these classes.

If you people want to discuss his character traits' date=' start your own thread on that matter! In the mean time, I'd appreciate it if we could return to my original post & leave all other BS out![/quote']Say the word and I'll wipe the whole thread.I'll talk to garry about banning anything related to that guys name since nothing of this site is aloud on that site. This way both sites can be equal on that part :) .Garry Was a close friend of Captain Mel and after Mel passed Neil kicked him off the site and TOF was born from that . Nothing about this site or people are aloud on that site so I personally believe it should be the same here .Sorry we hijacked your thread , but you brought up a very very sore subject.