Sign in to follow this  
mbshooter

first time fishing in the kayak

So, I finally got a few lures, and some free time. So I headed out to e.g. simmons park this morning. I had a few blow ups earlier in the day. I learned that walking the dog while sitting takes a little more skill. So I tried standing and fishing, which surprisingly wasn't that bad. I ended up getting skunked for the day on fish, but I figured out a few more things about fishing from my kayak.

It takes some time to get used to the kayak as a fishing platform. Much different from a boat or wade fishing. Each time out will be more comfortable and, eventually, it just seems like second nature. Welcome to the Tupperware fleet

Mike, I've been to E.G. Simmons, but haven't fished there yet.Were you seeing any activity on the water?Were you only throwing topwater?From what I've seen, I would think that there would be some nice opportunities there.It's on my list to check out with my kayak.

I threw a top water pop-a- dog around the mangroves for a few hours and got a couple blow ups but no connections . Then I moved to a mirrorlure 17Mr for a while. I finished with a gulp shrimp that might of been a little old. I was seeing some activity here and there and a ton of mullet jumping. There are fish there, just have to figure out what they like.

You will figure it out mike! Remember on them top waters wait till you feel them to set the hook, also, if you get a blow up but no connection, try to pause the lure and then give two or three slow intermittent twitches and start back up on your regular retrieve. This makes your lure look "stunned" after the first miss and most of the time they will come back and crush the snot out of it! Look forward to seeing pics and hearing stories on them P.M. days at work, see ya Friday morning for a few before I leave, maybe you'll have a fish story for me by then! :fishing01: