jayfack27

kayak fishing hernando area

Looking for some more places to fish in the hernando area. Already paddled out to fillmans. Hows jenkins creek? Going after reds, snook, and trout. I have my boat at my place now, so I'm finding i keep taking that out more than my yak. Problem is all the places i fish are a little too much to paddle to. Thanks guys

The fishing hasn't been the greatest in our area recently. I don't know how Jenkins is now but its supposed to be better in the winter time. Filman's is quite the paddle if you don't know the short cuts. How did you do in there? Look up Centipede Bay, you can get there from Bayport. Some people like the creeks near Pine Island. From a kayak Id say redfish might be the best bet for you at this time of year. There's not as much snook as there is North or South of us I think but they're there. The trout are out deep I think 6-12 feet of water which is not reachable by kayak unless you want to fish for them at night.

The fishing hasn't been the greatest in our area recently. I don't know how Jenkins is now but its supposed to be better in the winter time. Filman's is quite the paddle if you don't know the short cuts. How did you do in there? Look up Centipede Bay' date=' you can get there from Bayport. Some people like the creeks near Pine Island. From a kayak Id say redfish might be the best bet for you at this time of year. There's not as much snook as there is North or South of us I think but they're there. The trout are out deep I think 6-12 feet of water which is not reachable by kayak unless you want to fish for them at night.[/quote']I tried that short cut to fillmans, but it was low tide and there was too many rocks above water to get through. Had to go the long way, wind in my face. Pretty long paddle! I ended up with a couple reds and saw a huge snook. Went out on my boat 2 days ago and caught 6 trout all around 14". No keepers. I don't mind driving a little bit for a good kayak spot. I just want to get out on it more since I only have 4 trips on it. I heard brasher is good, but never been.

Ozello up North is really good. If you don't mind a drive people have been slaying it in Yankeetown red and black drum wise. If you want to see HUGE snook go to the Weeki Wachee in the winter. There's some teasers in there ;)Send me a PM and I'll give you a map of where I saw reds recently in our county ;)

Tried Brasher for first time this am, got there at 11am and had to wait out the storm and lightning strikes. Put in at 12:15 on a good rising tide. Headed to oyster bars to the north (a couple hundred yards) and found reds tailing. On a drift on the back side where wind was more favorable, was just about dialed in.At launch, wind was light and Gulf was glass calm. By the time I was dialed in on the reds, thw wind picked up and rollers were barreling in off the gulf. I said to my adult son (we were in a tandem) "Let's get outta here!". We were about half-way back and the wind was about 30 mph (10 mph above my safety threshhold) and rollers were 2 ft. As we turned to head around the point, the wind, the rollers, and our profiles combined to flip the yak in a wind gust. 5 ft of water with a fairly clean bottom was ok, but we had to swin for the cooler, a paddle, the bait bucket, and a seat. Only eqquipment lost were 2 combos, neither my good stuff. Replacement cost about $100.I'll definitely try Brasher again - good current in channels, varying depths and structure.

Dang them storms chased us out yesterday too. At least you found a good spot!Jay did you get to go out? I tried that spot where I saw reds yesterday but the weather turned onto the worse and we were at the high part of the tide rather than the outgoing like when we saw them last. I did hook a nice grouper while jigging the flats for trout shortly lol

Shoot for the past 3 days I've been setting my alarm at 5:30 to check my radar to possibly get out. Been raining every day! I've never been in a storm on my kayak yet, and I do have some frog toggs. I should man up and head out anyway. I've always had good luck on my boat when a storm lets up.

I've never fished up that way, but certainly there are target fish. I may make a trip soon to see what's out and eating. I'm just gonna wing it soon lolHard to imagine that there's nothing there. I'm not talking slimy catfish, I'm talkin reds and snook.

I've never fished up that way' date=' but certainly there are target fish. I may make a trip soon to see what's out and eating. I'm just gonna wing it soon lolHard to imagine that there's nothing there. I'm not talking slimy catfish, I'm talkin reds and snook.[/quote']Honestly if you're going to try going north, go a little further and check out Ozello. There are reds and snook here. I hear the red fishing used to be better before, my stepdad used to catch them easily and now its somewhat of a chore sometimes. There's resident snook in the Weeki Wachee river that are monsters but to target snook is tough. Unless you know certain points its a bycatch species according to some. I'd say the best place to catch snook is in Filman's Bayou in my area.There's more snook up north. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yankeetown-Marina/117081191684770They've been catching some monsters up in Levy County. Who knew it'd be so good up there?

Yeah I'm not going up to oz. I just cannot believe there are no fish in the hernando area. I'm gonna look at a couple areas and hunt for reds (as usual) and if I see a snook, cool... Again I just can't believe it's so slow up there with all the bait we have now. It's only an hour drive for me and I'm just gonna wing it anywhere I see a launch lolIf I gotta pick up and move a few miles I will, but hearing you guys talking that there's no fish makes me want to fish it... Call me crazy haha

Yeah I'm not going up to oz. I just cannot believe there are no fish in the hernando area. I'm gonna look at a couple areas and hunt for reds (as usual) and if I see a snook' date=' cool... Again I just can't believe it's so slow up there with all the bait we have now. It's only an hour drive for me and I'm just gonna wing it anywhere I see a launch lolIf I gotta pick up and move a few miles I will, but hearing you guys talking that there's no fish makes me want to fish it... Call me crazy haha[/quote']I'm not saying theres not fish, there is fish but not as much as other places. I know of a place where its good to sight fish reds at the right times but they're spooky and either solo, following other fish or in small pods. I'm still learning myself

Yeah I'm not going up to oz. I just cannot believe there are no fish in the hernando area. I'm gonna look at a couple areas and hunt for reds (as usual) and if I see a snook' date=' cool... Again I just can't believe it's so slow up there with all the bait we have now. It's only an hour drive for me and I'm just gonna wing it anywhere I see a launch lolIf I gotta pick up and move a few miles I will, but hearing you guys talking that there's no fish makes me want to fish it... Call me crazy haha[/quote']There are definitely plenty fish. Every time i go out on my boat we catch a lot at my normal spots, they are just too far for me to yak to. If you come fish down this way let me know! I'd like to tag along if you are going out on kayaks. I have an idea of where id like to check out i could run by you, or just wing it.

Yeah I'm not going up to oz. I just cannot believe there are no fish in the hernando area. I'm gonna look at a couple areas and hunt for reds (as usual) and if I see a snook' date=' cool... Again I just can't believe it's so slow up there with all the bait we have now. It's only an hour drive for me and I'm just gonna wing it anywhere I see a launch lolIf I gotta pick up and move a few miles I will' date=' but hearing you guys talking that there's no fish makes me want to fish it... Call me crazy haha[/quote'']There are definitely plenty fish. Every time i go out on my boat we catch a lot at my normal spots, they are just too far for me to yak to. If you come fish down this way let me know! I'd like to tag along if you are going out on kayaks. I have an idea of where id like to check out i could run by you, or just wing it.
Distance doesn't bother me at all. I've looked at google earth and there are reds there. It even shows them waiving at me.. Haha I will let u know when I'm headed that way. Goin east first, so when I get back I will plan a day up there.

Though from what I heard when you find the tarpon here its like fly fishing for them in the Keys because of where they sit up here. I haven't done it but there are some tarpon fly records off Bayport.

Any advise on how to get to centipede bay Or some other nice areas. I am somewhat new to kayaking. I have been sticking Jenkins creek and Bayport launch. Mainly cause I don’t know where to go.  

I used to live in hernando county.  Mostly fished at  jenkins creek.  I never had a kayak back then but I do remember in the winter months you can look down in the creek and see a bunch of snook just sitting there.  I almost had my first snook on a top water popper.   It was a moment I can't forget.  I was sitting there testing my new lure and watching the little bubbles as i pulled it in and then a big snook's mouth popped out and grabbed it.  My mistake was I didn't have a leader on my line.

Also be careful, I was in the water about knee deep throwing a cast net and turned around and seen 2 alagator eyes looking at me from about 20 feet away.  I think he had lunch on his mind.  I haven't been in the water since.

If you are looking for another place to go kayaking.  I was try Honeymoon island, it is a little more south but seemed like a great place for kayaking.