Sign in to follow this  
rkotinsky

Kayak Fishing at the Kitchen

Decided to fish an area that I had not fished in a long time, the Kitchen. It can be very challenging at times with super skinny water and a lot of weeds. However, with full moon tides, a short drive, and an expert guide(fellow TOF'r) who knows the Kitchen very well I made my way over to the culvert and launched at 6:00AM. We noticed dolphins in the water as soon as we made our way out into the fishing area which clearly had spooked the fish in the immediate vicinity. A little while later my yak buddy finds the red fish in short order and proceeds to land multiple reds while I attempt to get one. He pulls in a few more reds and I cannot land a single red even with the same lure. Frustrated I moved on and the tide finally started to rise so I began to work some oyster bars with my LT sardine and redemption came with the sound of screaming drag and the airborne acrobatics of a decent sized snook. After finally wearing her out I had my yak buddy snap some pictures and we released her. Posted ImagePosted Image The bite slowed for me again but my yak buddy still managed to pull in a few more reds until the tides and west wind picked up. We both drifted east to work some mangroves; I grew tired of casting and put a nice chunk of cut ladyfish on my bait rod and drifted through a mangrove pass with fast moving water. My Shimano Baitrunner started singing and I set the hook into a solid fish. Initially thought it might be a big catfish until I felt the power and saw the copper flash of a nice red. The fish fought valiantly and made 4-5 runs, wrapped the line around my Hobie mirage drive and felt like a overslot red. After removing the braid from my Hobie fins I finally managed to land her and surprsingly she came in at 24" 6lbs. Posted Image

[Tossed some more ladyfish out and only landed multiple catfish; fished a bit more with lures but nothing hit. Ended the day at 12:00PM a happy camper. Next trip out I will refine my technique with paddle tails to hopefully match some of the catching ability of my buddy.

Nice job Ron and fellow TOFer who shall remain nameless. Quality snook and good red. How many reds did your buddy get? Any size? Was there a lot of floating grass out there?

He landed at least 7 or 8 and had a lot more hits and misses. One of the fish was bigger than mine, over 25" and 7lbs. Floating grass was non-existent and the water temperature started at 84. There is always some sort of grass growing in there so treble hooks are problematic at low tides.