Sign in to follow this  
laurafy1989

Redfish at Weedon

We went out 8/27 and 8/28 to Weedon because we heard from friends that schools of redfish have been spotted. Before then we had not fished for redfish in like maybe 2-3 months because we could not find them. Bait is everywhere on the flats, most are net wreckers but we got a mix of good size greens and baby threadfins. I was even able to to throw the net and catch bait myself even thought when I throw the net, it only goes 2 feet away from the boat. Haha! On Wednesday, 8/27, we headed over to the area we heard the school have been spotted. While trolling along the mangroves I threw a bait on a freeline out there and a minute later I had a 20" red on. I released it, hoping to catch a bigger red to keep. So we anchored and chummed and I caught two more 20" reds and released them. My boyfriend caught 2 bonnetheads while using his line with the popping cork. Since I was getting allt he reds with the freelined bait, he decided to switch to his freeline and was able to pull in another smaller slot red, which he released. Then I had a big swirl at my bait and lost my bait and then my boyfriend decided to throw his bait right next to where I lost mine and he stole my 26" red. dangit! :P After that big red, the bite turned off so we moved to a different spot. As soon as we got to the second spot, I hooked into a 25" red. We cruised along the mangrove and my boyfriend caught a 20" snook. After that we decided to head over to the Hula Bay flats to complete his slam with a trout. He did get a 17" trout to complete the slam. post-88204-14121223649713_thumb.jpgpost-88204-14121223650499_thumb.jpgSince we had such a good day fishing we decided to go out again on Thursday. We got to Gandy around 7:30am. We caught bait in front of the power plant then hit our first spot at Weedon. Scotty hooked into an 18" red, he released. I caught 2 22" reds. We kept both 22" reds in the live well hoping to catch some bigger ones, but no luck on the bigger reds. We went to the same spot we caught the 26" red the day before and chummed again and I caught a 26" snook. I wanted to head back to the boat ramp by 3 so I was not able to complete my slam. But I was very happy regardless. post-88204-14121223649056_thumb.jpg

Well done.Just FYI - right or wrong you can only cull fish in a tournament.

What does cull mean? We kept the 2 22" redfish in our live well hoping to catch bigger ones and release the smaller ones. We had 2 of us on the boat so that was 1 redfish per person.

I'm not saying it's right to let tournament guys do it and not everyone else but it's what the law say.

So if she said she was keeping them alive because she was only going to keep them if she got other fish for a large fish dinner, would that be ok?

I'm not saying it's right to let tournament guys do it and not everyone else but it's what the law say.
So if she said she was keeping them alive because she was only going to keep them if she got other fish for a large fish dinner' date=' would that be ok?[/quote']That's really a good point, Nick! We know we can't cull fish but I doubt if there are rules against letting fish go. But, basically, there's no difference. Sometimes rules and laws just don't make much sense. If it is illegal to release fish once they're in a livewell, someone please let us know.

Love to learn something new. I don't keep fish' date=' but didn't realize you couldn't cull fish. Is that all fish that can't be culled by recreational anglers or just specific ones? I tried to find the regs on that, but couldn't.[/quote']https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-22These are the state redfish regs. The Catch Hold and Release exception is what limits culling to tournament anglers.

This is good info. I had no clue. Thanks for bringing this up and posting the regulations.

Love to learn something new. I don't keep fish' date=' but didn't realize you couldn't cull fish. Is that all fish that can't be culled by recreational anglers or just specific ones? I tried to find the regs on that' date=' but couldn't.[/quote'']https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-22These are the state redfish regs. The Catch Hold and Release exception is what limits culling to tournament anglers.

Thanks Counsel. So apparently if you catch a redfish and put it in your livewell, then that is the fish that you can harvest for that day. You can't upgrade to a larger fish and return the first fish to the water. If you put in in your livewell, you are not supposed to release it later either. That is interesting. Wonder why they prohibit the releasing of a redfish that has been in the livewell. Could it possibly be that the red could contract a disease or virus and spread it to other reds? Would like to know the rationale behind that part of the rule.