Sign in to follow this  
clayncarol

Quantum Smoke PT

no experience but I did recently pick up a Cabo 40 for my down and dirty snook fishing where I needed a lot more drag than my ballistics offer so I will see how that holds up. some guys love Quantum and a buddy told me he like his Cabo so we will see.

no experience but I did recently pick up a Cabo 40 for my down and dirty snook fishing where I needed a lot more drag than my ballistics offer so I will see how that holds up. some guys love Quantum and a buddy told me he like his Cabo so we will see.

My stepdad got a new boca and cabo maybe 6 months ago. He loves them and they do well. I think they are both 5000 sized. We just need more fish testing on them :thumbsup:

I would stay away from them. Junk!!

Ditto. I've had two Smoke 3000 within the past year. It's looks and feels killer out of the box but after a few months you'll start having issues with the gears due to saltwater and sand intrusion. First Smoke I purchased was last September. After three months' date=' I was having issues with the handle not wanting to crank smoothly and the gears had an almost "snagging" sensation. It was horrible. TFO clean and lubed it. One month later, same issues. Brought it back to TFO and I was told, "You see this? This is from salt water." The technician was pointing at several areas on the reel and handle which were already corroding. I'm meticulous when I clean my fishing gear. So, my reply to the technician at TFO was, "No kidding. It's a 'salt water' fishing reel." TFO wouldn't honor the warranty and I sent it back to Quantum.Quantum sent me a brand new [b']Smoke[/b]. I've been using this for the past six months and a few week ago it started to develop similar issues.Before anyone questions how I clean my reels, let me explain. I used to spray them with the hose, turn the reels upside down to drain any water and store them. I learned when I sprayed the reels I was blasting the salt water and sand deep inside the housing. I changed my technique. Since I've been using the second Smoke, I mist the rod and reel and wipe the reel with a cloth. No more "sand blasting". This definitely has given my second Smoke a longer life but I'm really disappointed it's not holding up.Maybe other guys haven't had any problems but this topic was brought up at least twice the past year and several members of the forum had the same thoughts as I. Hell, I tried selling the second brand new Smoke on the Forum for a decent price and not one person was interested. What does that tell you.?I still have faith in Quantum and the Cabo is sweeeeet. Just stay away from the Smoke. You might want to look at the Okuma Helios. I'm more than pleased with my Helios and I've put it through the same paces as the Smoke. Hopefully, this will save you money in the long run.Regarding TFO; the service I received when they wouldn't honor my warranty was less than poor. I was blamed for the obvious flaws in with the reel. However, this was only one time since I've been going there when it was Fisherman's World. Don't let my one time poor experience sway anybody from shopping there.

Sorry for revisiting this older post about the Smoke PTs but I wanted to share some new thoughts on the reel.  I totally blasted how poor the reel was and it's only fair that I give it some love.

My earlier opinions of the reel were very, very poor and deserved, at the time.  I’m a public servant and can’t afford to be buying high – end gear all the time.  So, when I save a few bucks and dump it into gear, like a $190 reel, I expect it to perform well and last.  What I learned is I was not taking care of the reel like I should have.

I've been using my current Smoke PTs for over the last year and with the intention to see how hard and far I could push it with proper maintenance. It has performed better than expected and I really, really enjoy using it. It's light, super smooth and has plenty of power.  I’ve been maintaining it properly with a light rinse and a wipe down instead of spraying the Smoke and blasting the saltwater, sand and other debris into the reel.  I just had it serviced and it’s smoother then it was when I bought it new out of the box. 

The Smoke PTs deserves another look if anyone is considering the reel, just maintain it properly and I think it will impress some guys. 

I have to say (after quite some time now) that I am more than happy with the Quantum Smoke PTS.  The wife and I have quite a few actually - from 2500, to 4000 Speed Freak.  These are my every day go to reels and have been for several years now.  I do minimal maintenance other than diligently rinsing them after every use and the occasional drop of oil here and there.  I haven't even had to take the screws of of one yet!  Ounce per buck per longevity - I love these reels.  (PTs - not the PT).

I must confess that I picked up a Cabo5k for monster Snook etc. . . .