Hey,

I've lived in Florida my whole life, and have always loved fishing. However, no one would ever take me growing up. So know that I'm 17 and got a truck and kayak; I'm ready to go. I live in St. Petersburg and would love any help/tips. I will mostly be fishing flats from my kayak or wading from shore. I really want some redfish, pompono, flounder, mackeral, or snook. Need help with locations and bait. I've also saved some money and now I need help picking a rod and reel combo.

Thanks,

-Carley

Welcome to the site. 

If I were you, I would take  Phil up on his offer. He will definitely put you on the fish.

Plus the knowledge of fishing he has to offer.

Second that!!

Hey,

I've lived in Florida my whole life, and have always loved fishing. However, no one would ever take me growing up. So know that I'm 17 and got a truck and kayak; I'm ready to go. I live in St. Petersburg and would love any help/tips. I will mostly be fishing flats from my kayak or wading from shore. I really want some redfish, pompono, flounder, mackeral, or snook. Need help with locations and bait. I've also saved some money and now I need help picking a rod and reel combo.

Thanks,

-Carley

Carley,

It it is the right time of year to start.  The reds are schooled up close to shore, and the trout and snook are going to be moving to the flats and mouths or canals, creeks and rivers.  They are all going to be hungry and eating more aggressively than during the hotter months.  

To get you started, live shrimp is the easiest and most productive bait to start you off.  Throw one out under a float or just free-lined with a maybe a split shot.  As you gain experience, you'll learn to use and even catch other live baits that you find in the areas you are fishing.  With time you'll probably learn to use artificials, maybe even use them exclusively like a few on this site do.  I use them all depending on the day.

For where to fish, try to well-known spots to get yourself started. Ft. DeSoto, Weedon Island, and Picnic Island are just three that you might start with.  

For gear, I started with a 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Light with a Penn Battle 4000.  It's a heavier rig than a lot use, but a good overall setup for bait(live and dead) and for artificials.  I have a handful of higher priced specialized rigs for throwing artificials, but the old Ugly Stik is still the most used.  

You'll find that fishing will become more than something that you love.  For many of us it is an obsession.  You'll pick up a lot of good information here.  The topics that you mentioned have been discussed many times, so take advantage of the search function.  Also, never pass up the opportunity to learn from someone willing to take you out and show you a thing or two.  With that and your time on the water will make you an expert in no time.  

Good luck.

Henri