phil030

Who Is Interested In Another Fishing/camping Trip?

New member here.  The camping trip to Flamingo sounds great.  Do the campgrounds allow popups? Thanks for the info.

Lori

Welcome to TOF Lori!

Yes the campground allows for anything you need. The sites we stayed at last time we're just campsites with no electrical. But they do have plenty of hook up sights for everyone. Would love to have you join in for sure! Stay tuned for more definite dates and info!

We're booked for Chocoloskee at the Big Cypress Trail Lakes Campground December 14-21 and if the fishing is good we'll stay for another week. A nearby motel to Chocoloskee is the Everglades Motel in Everglades City if anyone is interested. The sites for Chocoloskee Island Campground are very small so one has to park across the street from your site. We are staying 16 miles away at another campground where we can keep an eye on our stuff.

Also we've booked March 15-29th at the Flamingo Campgrounds. There was no electric available for the month of Feb so we opted for March. January is a busy month for us so we can't do January. 

Anyone available during those times, let us know and we can hookup.

Ok guys and girls, I have some info for you.

First of all, the "electrical hook up" spaces are completely booked for almost 4 months solid. So that means that if you were wanting to bring your boat and recharge batteries each day, can't happen.

The only way I see doing a recharge is to stay outside of the park (about 1 hour drive each way) and stay at a hotel of your choice. I do rememeber last year was PACKED in that electrical hook up lot!

Anyways, for those that are certain they can do this, please confirm by sending me a PM with how many is in your party. I need a firm head count!!! Each site accommodates 8 people and up to 2 tents only.

Each site has a fire pit or grill, and it is a must that you bring all the fire wood and other essentials that you need for the length of stay. The prices at the marina store are INSANE!

Things like ice, coolers, food, drinks, etc should all be brought into the park instead of needing stuff! Last time we "needed" beer LOL and had to buy it at the marina and after about 20 bucks, we got a twelve pack of domestic beer for that evening. In other words, bring enough stuff for the entire time.

once again- please send me a PM confirming your party's head count! It should a great time yet again, and I look forward to meeting and fishing with you all!!

The dates are Janurary 16th (arrive) through the 20th (depart)

There is an option to switch dates to the following weekend (23rd through 27th) if that works better for everyone... BUT THAT DISCUSSION NEEDS TO HAPPEN REALLY QUICK. Otherwise, we will stick with the original dates!

By the way, it's pretty damn hard to not catch good fish down in the everglades! There's days and days of backcountry, and vast miles of open flats to work!

Talk about which weekend works best- make the plans- and let me know ASAP please!

Thanks everyone!

Phil

Bump-

It's looking like the interest is to stick with the original dates of Jan 16-20..

Please do not forget to confirm with me by sending me a PM letting me know how many is in your party.

I can promise good times and good fishin! Again- all you need to do is show up with all of your essential needs! Like fire wood, food, drinks, ice, camping gear, etc. The cost of camping sites are on me! If this is a "bucket list" item, then let me know ASAP!

Thanks everyone!

Wow, I had a blast there with you all last year. This time no can do.

I'm the first "lady" to enter the extreme kayak sailfish tournament in Pompano. It is the same dates in January and I told them I would fish it back in November.

Darn!

I want my (our) friend Pam to be able to join.

I am switching the dates to the following weekend!!! It is now the 23rd-27th.

This should be enough time for everyone to make that change in plans right?

I had forgotten about her first sailfish tourney that same weekend when I made this original post.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience the change may have caused, but for anyone that has fished with Pam knows she is awesome to be around and we had a blast last year!

C'mon guys lets make this happen! Thank you all!

For sure man, lookin forward to it. Where are we gonna camp, I might know some people that can point us in the right direction.

At the Flamingo campground in the Everglades National Park. Basically the very end of the mainland of FL. The sites will be within a short drag of yaks to the water and fish everywhere LOL

Yeah man just text me those details when you talk to them... Hopefully I can make it to that party Saturday with you.

There is still room for those interested in joining us on this trip to the everglades!!!!

Camping is paid for so all you need to do is get there with all of your essentials and gear.

Send me a PM to confirm

Thank you

myself and a couple friends were talking about making a trip down. not sure if it will be january or just after christmas.

That's cool man, but if you want in on the trip we have planned (jan 23-27) you need to let me know exactly how many is coming ASAP!! I can add more sites at this point if needed. But the closer to the dates, the harder it's gonna be. If not this trip, go enjoy the everglades anytime you can. It is a vast area of the country that is world renowned and should be explored and fished hard by anyone that has not been.

Hey I'm not familiar with the area.... but excited to give it a try. I am a transplant form Ohio and live in Apollo Beach. A few questions.  How far of a drive is this from the Tampa area?   The Campground is right where we plan to fish?  They have shower sites?  Is there stores nearby to buy ice?  Restaurants? Bait shop? How far is the nearest hotel if I wanted to be a wimp?   How far is this site from Tampa?  Is it a state or federal park?  I am available and will go, I will be alone.  Just want to prep properly.  Thanks in advance.

Hey I'm not familiar with the area.... but excited to give it a try. I am a transplant form Ohio and live in Apollo Beach. A few questions.  How far of a drive is this from the Tampa area?   The Campground is right where we plan to fish?  They have shower sites?  Is there stores nearby to buy ice?  Restaurants? Bait shop? How far is the nearest hotel if I wanted to be a wimp?   How far is this site from Tampa?  Is it a state or federal park?  I am available and will go, I will be alone.  Just want to prep properly.  Thanks in advance.

1) about 6 hrs one way

2)the campground is 1-200' off the water.. You can fish near there, or paddle vast distances to find fish, that's up to you. I will be paddling vast distances to find fish.

3)yes showers are there

4)yes there is a store at the marina but you may want to rob a bank first or just take out a loan at that bank cuz you will be paying insane prices!

5)see number 4 or bring everything you will need, and I mean everything

6)see number 4 or bring everything you will need, and I mean everything

7)at minumum 45mins to 1hr one way.

8)see number 1

9)Everglades National Park

FYI the Everglades is millions of acres of water, mangroves, bugs, monsters, and fish. For instance last time we were there for 4 days and we put in on avg 13-15 miles a day. i can see this year being easily that much again.

If you are serious about joining us please send me a PM to confirm. If not, there will be other trips in the future to join. Thanks

Just as in last year, Carrie and I are in Friday to Sunday.  Just fished there a few weeks ago, Redfish were slow but jacks 3-5# on every cast until you got tired and moved on.  No snook that trip,(strange); but saw tarpon 120#  to OMG size just outside the marina bellycrawling in less than 2 ft. of water. Phil, they were on that flat edge between the marina entrance and your snook hole.

Just a note to emphasize what Phil has already stated.  BRING EVERYTHING !  I will cover the firewood for the first two nights.  From experience it takes about 4 bundles,(I get them from Winn Dixie for 5 bucks), for a decent fire each night.

For those that don't have a full compliment of "Camp Stuff", last year we ended up with duplicates of stoves, lanterns, pots, pans etc.. so if you don't have it you probably don't need to buy it.

Looking Forward to it,  Kurt