Sign in to follow this  
sylvestermax

Tailing Reds And A Pb For The Wife At Fort Desoto

Hello all, It's been a while since I've been on, or posted to TOF. I've fished a bit but I've been very busy with work and projects around the house. I can't say that I'm loving the new forum layout and the changes. Many of our screen names are gone and it seems awkward to navigate. I feel like it's a step backwards.

On to the report...

The wife (Tammy) and I hit Fort DeSoto with the kayaks Saturday and launched just minutes before sunrise. I tried the mangroves along one of the islands without any luck but noticed a lot of activity on one of the grassy flats. I quietly paddled up to the activity and saw a large school of mullet and baitfish with a bunch of tailing and rolling redfish mixed in the school. I managed to get a little video of the action before attempting to pull a fish from the school. I wound up pulling a 20" out of the school before it broke up. I then met up with Tammy on our favorite flat. It took a while for things to heat up. Tammy wound up landing a personal best Redfish of 29" along with another at 28 1/2" and a 20 incher as well. I didn't have the same luck. I caught a couple of short speck trout, and a 21" Jack Crevalle. We took two 20" reds home. I've added video and a photo below.

On another note...For the second or third time now, I've seen a large and girthy, 6 to 7 foot, Black Tip (I think) shark on the deeper flats behind shell key. I saw it for the first time from the boat last month while fishing that area. From a distance I thought it was a smaller manatee, but as it got closer, I realized it was a big shark. Has anyone else seen that shark out there? Several months ago my wife had, what I estimate to be a 26" redfish, bitten in half by a shark. It may have been the same one.

Sunrise.JPG

Tammys%20PB.JPG

Great report and fish Mark.  I ran into a bunch of tailers this sunday morning during the 1st bit of the incoming tide.  It really gets your heart pumping watching tails waving at you in 6-8" of water.  I've been on a mission to get my 1st red on fly but was unsuccesful this weekend.

I didn't see any tailing reds in the video.

Ken, Sorry you couldn't see them in the video. I was quite a distance from the school and did not want to spook them by getting to close. I watched them for about 10 minutes before thinking to get video of them on my camera phone. There were definitely several tailing reds scattered around in that school of mullet. I moved closer, within casting distance, after shooting the video and pulled one of the reds from the edge of the school. I started fishing for redfish back in the early '70s in South Louisiana, I know what they look like.

Awesome! I love hearing that the woman outfished their man. I outfish my man a lot. HAHA!

Okay, It's the wife, Tammy here. If it wasn't for Mark I would NOT have been out on the water to catch anything! He is always doing the grunt work; loading and unloading, strapping down, checking for safety and of course cleaning the kayaks and fish. He saved my derriere that day too, there was a large black tip shark lurking in the area where I caught the red and it was not afraid. Mark took his net and helped me land the redfish. We didn't want a repeat of what happened five months ago when a large black tip shark bit a nice red in half while I was trying to land it. I ended up releasing that dead, half eaten redfish while watching it's eyes turn white.    Hum…Maybe I should join this forum.