Sign in to follow this  
Tim

Flounder On A Spoon?!?!

I was out on Saturday morning with Amanda and my buddy Nic. We caught 10 Reds, one nice 30" Snook, a handful of Sheepshead, and one Black Drum. While we were working this one spot, I was throwing one of my favorite fish-locator lures, a bucktail spoon. I got hit pretty hard on it and it didn't feel like a Red or Snook. Turned out to be a 17" Flounder - he inhaled this thing!

I have never caught a Flounder before on a spoon and thought it was rather odd. I normally catch them on DOA Shrimps or any curly tailed lure.

Has anyone ever caught a flatty on a spoon????

I have picked up two Flounder on spoons - one casting and one trolling.

I catch most of my Flounder on a curly tail grub bouncing it across the bottom,

But, I have found them to chase down moving bait. 

You just never know what will work from one day to the next.

Nope, I've never caught a flounder on a spoon. They will smash just about anything that crosses their path. I've just for the heck of it, trolled an artificial shrimp through some potholes on my way to the NMZ and had a flounder chase it down for 20-30ft before swallowing it. Thanks for the report Tim!

No way. Where's the picture? It isn't "real" without a picture.

Old lady writes for a local newspaper along the South Shore. She often says "the flounder are jumping". That must have been one of "her" flounder. Good

Back in 93, I landed a 27" 8lbs Flounder on a Johnson Sprite Spoon using 8lb test and No leader. I was a teen and had access to fish at the last house on the west end of Klosterman Road in Palm Harbor, opposite from the old Fast Eddies (warm beer, lousy food) restaraunt.There's a sandy channel that runs parallel to residential docks, with grass flats on the opposite side of the channel. Standing on the point of the seawall, I made a cast towards a channel marker that's at an intersection of the two residential channels that feed into the main Fast Eddies channel. Almost instantly, I got hit and could see that it was a monster Flounder. It didn't really know it was hooked yet, so I was able to reel it in on the surface about half way before it figured out what was going on and went ballistic. Without a net or gaff, there was no way to land this fish from the sea wall, so I jumped off it, into where the water was only ankle deep. Luckily for me, the tide was out far enough so after wearing it out, I was able to successfully land the monster by dragging it up on an area of exposed land. 

post-168505-0-63425900-1414523114_thumb.jpg

post-168505-0-22436900-1414523136_thumb.jpg

Brian, what a great post and story. Wow 8 LB. flounder. It seems like them by-catch flounder when people are fishing for other fish are the large ones that really thump the lure. Caught my first FL. flounder using a large swimming shad on a 1/4 OZ. jig head fishing for snook.