Sign in to follow this  
redfish303

Getting Certified

I am getting certified right now and by the time most of you see this i will be certified (11/16/14). Even with only one dive in lake denton I already love it so much. After I get more experience I hope to get in to spearfishing. Does anyone have any general tips for beginning divers and any gear that they really like?

Thanks

Congratulations! There is a trick to learn by shooting a fish in the head. I started off by targeting slow moving fish that will help build your confidence. Puffer, grouper and scorpion fish are all slow careful of the poisonous sharp spines on the scorpion. Check Craig’s List for your gear. I grew up scuba diving and I hate seeing people spending money on new gear. Good Luck!

Congratulations! There is a trick to learn by shooting a fish in the head. I started off by targeting slow moving fish that will help build your confidence. Puffer, grouper and scorpion fish are all slow careful of the poisonous sharp spines on the scorpion. Check Craig’s List for your gear. I grew up scuba diving and I hate seeing people spending money on new gear. Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip! Today I went out for the last certification dive about 10 miles out and we say some big grouper,snapper, and hogfish. I also saw some amberjack and a triggerfish and now i really want to get into spearfishing. Although i do think that i will wait for some more experience and some good people to dive with. Thanks for the reply.

I do seminars for The St. Pete times boat show twice a year and there is a captain who gives seminars on Saturday and Sunday usually at 11 am or 1pm because I always get noon. In the newspaper they will have all the captains that are speaking. I forget his name but you can learn more about spearfishing from this guy in an hour then diving 100 times by yourself.

The link is here . They should announce the names of the captains in about a month . If I can find an old photo on my facebook with the lineup I'll update this post and let you know his name.