Sign in to follow this  
fishinchick

Kayak Fishing Fever

I received an e-mail from a lady named Nan who attended a Ladies Fishing Clinic given by the FWC last year.  She had been wanting to learn how to kayak fish ever since that seminar but didn't know where to start.  She read a story in a local magazine about our Nature Coast Lady Anglers club and contacted me wanting to learn how to fish from a kayak.  She had absolutely no gear whatsoever...not even a kayak of her own, so I set a group kayak fishing date for some of the girls and loaned Nan one of my extra kayaks and a rod with a circle hook.  I picked up a few shrimp for the day and met her and the other ladies at a local launch site in Ozello.  She was a little rocky at first but got her bearings quickly.  I had to teach her how to flip the bail and cast and she had a little trouble with that for the first half hour or so but finally got the hang of it.  No sooner did she paddle away from me when she hooked into a nice redfish.  She didn't know what it was but was smart enough to keep it in the water until I could paddle over, identify it, photograph it, and release it.  I'm surprised it didn't throw her hook during that time.  Anyway, she was SO excited and we were really happy for her.  The rest of the group caught keeper reds and trout, too, which wasn't a huge surprise, but for Nan, it was a BIG deal, for sure.  Needless to say, she is totally addicted and spending this week testing out different kayaks and looking to get some equipment and tackle of her own.  I love a new convert, they are so much fun to fish with! 

post-215729-0-05850200-1416363016_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Delores !!

You hooked another one, keep up the good work! Very happy for Nan to land a fish on her first outing, that is awesome. 

PS: Have been seeing some good size sheepies there the last two outings. Have been by the mud flats on an incoming.

Wow! Love that story. Not easy meeting women who enjoy fishing. Do you hook them up with men who enjoy fishing as well?

We have a really fun group of about 15 women up here in Crystal River who love to get out in their kayaks and fish for the sheer enjoyment of it but I haven't had the opportunity to play match-maker yet  LOL

We have a really fun group of about 15 women up here in Crystal River who love to get out in their kayaks and fish for the sheer enjoyment of it but I haven't had the opportunity to play match-maker yet  LOL

How do the ladies transport their kayaks? Mark and I have a rack on a Tacoma and after paddling 8-9-10hrs. I find it difficult maneuvering 70+lbs. up and over my head all by myself.

How do the ladies transport their kayaks? Mark and I have a rack on a Tacoma and after paddling 8-9-10hrs. I find it difficult maneuvering 70+lbs. up and over my head all by myself.

A few of the ladies transport on top of their vehicle and we all help to load & unload.  A few others have trailers that they pull behind, and then the rest (like myself) have small to mid-size trucks with bed extenders and our kayaks just slide right into the bed of the truck while the bed extender supports the half that overhangs the tailgate.  They're pretty affordable and makes loading and unloading easy enough for one person to do.  My hubby found out about it by doing a internet search.  Never knew they existed until then.  

small to mid-size trucks with bed extenders and our kayaks just slide right into the bed of the truck while the bed extender supports the half that overhangs the tailgate.  .  

Our yaks are too long for that type of setup. I have a bed extender, still would need a red flag and a bunch of tie-down straps. I'd hate to see my yak ending up in someone's windshield. I would need a trailer in order to do it myself. Oh well, big strong man works just fine.

Delores,

Is this the type of bed extender you're talking about?

imagesCAL3U0JE.jpg

Yep - that's the one.  I've loaded my husbands 14.5 Native Multi-craft kayak w/ trolling motor and my 11 ft Ocean Kayak together and have had no problems with transport, length, load or unload.  Works like a champ for us. Tried to add an image to this post but wouldn't allow.  Maybe I can post it below.